Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   It sets a bad precedent (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sets-bad-precedent-220612/)

rubicon 11-30-2016 02:26 PM

It sets a bad precedent

My wife asked me what I thought of the homes listed in the Daily Sun which advertised with fences in the back yard.

I told her not much and that The Villages was setting a bad precedent.

The Villages had it right by restricting fences and suggesting natural green barriers. Now with their introduction of privacy fences they created a crack in their own rules.

Bonnevie 11-30-2016 02:48 PM

there's already been a section built with fences. Nash Loop, in Hemingway (I think). So they have experimented with them already and hadn't built any more of them since the ones done then which would have been about 2006. So I doubt it's going to have an impact anywhere else.

jimnc 11-30-2016 03:51 PM

I agree. There is a section of new homes under construction in the Village of Pine Hills, visible from the Okeechobee and Escambia golf courses, with high, brown, vinyl fences. Although having a fenced area for pets makes life easier for the owner, I think the fences are unattractive.
Different people buy for different reasons but I would stay away from that area because of the fences.

birdawg 11-30-2016 04:15 PM

Great place for barking dogs.

justjim 11-30-2016 05:03 PM

Fences

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnevie (Post 1327690)
there's already been a section built with fences. Nash Loop, in Hemingway (I think). So they have experimented with them already and hadn't built any more of them since the ones done then which would have been about 2006. So I doubt it's going to have an impact anywhere else.

Occasionally, The Villages does something a bit different. The homes built on Nash Loop in the Village of Hemingway a few years ago was something different in that they have fenced back yards. I am not aware of any homes like those (approximately 20) small number having been built since about 2006-2007. There are large power lines crossing that area and perhaps the fencing has something to do with the power lines.

ColdNoMore 11-30-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimnc (Post 1327721)
I agree. There is a section of new homes under construction in the Village of Pine Hills, visible from the Okeechobee and Escambia golf courses, with high, brown, vinyl fences. Although having a fenced area for pets makes life easier for the owner, I think the fences are unattractive.
Different people buy for different reasons but I would stay away from that area because of the fences.

I agree.

I actually had to look twice, as I couldn't quite believe that a new development was being built with white vinyl fences.

Villageswimmer 11-30-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 1327746)
Occasionally, The Villages does something a bit different. The homes built on Nash Loop in the Village of Hemingway a few years ago was something different in that they have fenced back yards. I am not aware of any homes like those (approximately 20) small number having been built since about 2006-2007. There are large power lines crossing that area and perhaps the fencing has something to do with the power lines.

I can't even imagine what the connection might be between fencing and power lines:confused:

Could you 'splain this theory, please?

ColdNoMore 11-30-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villageswimmer (Post 1327779)
I can't even imagine what the connection might be between fencing and power lines:confused:

Could you 'splain this theory, please?

Absorbs aeolian vibration and corona discharge...due to magnetostriction? :shrug:

golfing eagles 11-30-2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1327786)
Absorbs aeolian vibration and corona discharge...due to magnetostriction? :shrug:

Like my insurance policy, that says blah, blah, blah, blah, blah:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

buzzy 11-30-2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1327786)

That's why they are brown. The white ones would reflect it toward pedestrians in the street.

rubicon 12-01-2016 05:43 AM

Our lawn guy cuts several lawns at the same time because he has open access. If neighbors began fencing off their properties his task would be increasingly difficult and cost of mowing lawns increased. The same problem applies to other maintenance issues and especially the care and maintenance of the fence itself. Can you spell mildew and mold. don't need more of that

The Villages emphasizes privacy but that cuts both ways for good and for bad such as the affect on neighborhood watch

Goldwingnut 12-01-2016 06:52 AM

The more likely reason for this section of homes with fences in this new area and the ones they had in the Harris Court/Blaise Terrace area of Pine Hills is due to the lack of new Courtyard Villas being built in the south end of TV. With the exception of Nash Loop and these two areas, CYVs are the only place you can have a fenced yard.

If you've watched the construction progress of new areas, CYVs are normally the first built and they sell very quickly. I live in a CYV, a decision driven by residing with two Golden Retrievers, and after talking with my neighbors the driving factors for most all of us for buying a CYV was either pets or privacy or both. Yard size/maintenance comes in a distant third and pricing was hardly ever a consideration.

Compare the pricing of new CYVs to similarly sized cottage, designer, and patio villa homes and they are more expensive per sq ft than almost all in the 200-350K price range. Yes, there are many homes with larger lots, upgrades, and pools that are more per sq ft but apple-to-apples the CYVs are more expensive so any though of a low cost alternative goes out the window.

Give the "Developer" their due, they know what sells and know what people want, if they are building homes with fenced yards they are very confident that they'll sell quickly. They are being creative to fill a gap in the inventory at the south end of The Villages.

I'd bet a dozen doughnuts that by the first the year only one or two of these homes are left on the market and these are not the last we'll see.

Happinow 12-01-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimnc (Post 1327721)

Was just golfing Okeechobee yesterday and had no idea they were allowing fences. Not attractive, but then again those houses are directly across from those monstrous power lines so I guess the fence goes along with the poor placement of the houses.

asianthree 12-01-2016 09:07 AM

Our oldest looked at the homes with the new fences when he was down last. As they were built selling just as quickly.

Problem with the old Courtyard villas is one and a half car garage. The cottage gives you a straight driveway most with a two car garage and a fenced in yard. All of the pluses of the courtyard villa but a better driveway. And you have the ability to do with what you want to the back yard, grass no grass.

Bonnevie 12-01-2016 09:10 AM

also the problem with CYV are many of the windows look out to walls. Some people would like the opportunity to have a more conventional house with a fence, but chose the villas because of pets.