Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Have a GARBAGE question (I mean a question ABOUT garbage!) :) (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/have-garbage-question-i-mean-question-about-garbage-221849/)

EdFNJ 12-09-2016 05:07 PM

Have a GARBAGE question (I mean a question ABOUT garbage!) :)

We'll be moving down next month (don't know where yet :D ) and wondering how the garbage pickup situation is in TV. Do they take "ANYTHING" on "garbage day?"

Is there a separate day for trash pickup like old appliances, tons of cardboard from unpacking, old furniture etc etc or do you have to hire your own private WM person?

Basically what do you do when you move in (or out for that matter)?

JerryP 12-09-2016 05:54 PM

This site will answer all your garbage questions.

Sanitation Information

redwitch 12-09-2016 05:59 PM

Three garbage pickups per week. Either Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Friday (depending on where you live) for regular trash. Recycling is once a week on a regular pick up day. Wednesday is for lawn and tree stuff throughout TV. Call Friday mornings to schedule pick up of items over 50 pounds or 5 feet in length. Moving boxes are picked up with recycling. Just break them down and leave at end of driveway.

NO GARBAGE CANS in Sumter or Marion Counties. They'll take the can as trash as easily as other items.

Welcome home.

EdFNJ 12-09-2016 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1331807)
Three garbage pickups per week. Either Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Friday (depending on where you live) for regular trash. Recycling is once a week on a regular pick up day. Wednesday is for lawn and tree stuff throughout TV. Call Friday mornings to schedule pick up of items over 50 pounds or 5 feet in length. Moving boxes are picked up with recycling. Just break them down and leave at end of driveway.

NO GARBAGE CANS in Sumter or Marion Counties. They'll take the can as trash as easily as other items.

Welcome home.

So basically they take anything IF YOU CALL.

Thank you.

Two Bills 12-09-2016 06:53 PM

Old appliances, furniture, anything with the slightest value, stick it out anytime. It will go!

TheDude 12-09-2016 08:35 PM

I was told if it is too large, call. There will be a number in your resident handbook. You have to get it to the curb though as they will not (as I am told) go into your garage or house to get it.

EdFNJ 12-09-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1331825)
Old appliances, furniture, anything with the slightest value, stick it out anytime. It will go!

Is "anytime" permitted? I would think that kind of stuff would be "limited" to when it gets put at the curb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDude (Post 1331845)
I was told if it is too large, call. There will be a number in your resident handbook. You have to get it to the curb though as they will not (as I am told) go into your garage or house to get it.

Yea, I wouldn't expect them to come and get it. Once I am a resident I will definitely have to check that out.

TheDude 12-09-2016 09:05 PM

352-748-0109 is the number

They pick up trash twice a week based on where you live. Wednesdays they do yard waste.

Nucky 12-09-2016 09:30 PM

Ed, they are easy going with the garbage down here. Just make sure you do your best with recycling but they don't have forensic garbage engineer's like the specific NJ town where you come from, they are ball busters unless you pay them or are related to them. Imagine $9000 a year in NJ tax's and they check your garbage. These guys in Florida take care of you and then then you do the rite thing. Good people. It's a whole different world. Come on already. Get the $$$$$$. Get down here while its freezing...Ha 60 degrees. :cold:

EdFNJ 12-10-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1331865)
Ed, they are easy going with the garbage down here. Just make sure you do your best with recycling but they don't have forensic garbage engineer's like the specific NJ town where you come from, they are ball busters unless you pay them or are related to them. Imagine $9000 a year in NJ tax's and they check your garbage. These guys in Florida take care of you and then then you do the rite thing. Good people. It's a whole different world. Come on already. Get the $$$$$$. Get down here while its freezing...Ha 60 degrees. :cold:

Well, everything up here is 99% done (buyer's inspection, C of O, buyer's appraisal, buyer's mortgage approved) last hurdle is fire inspection on Wednesday. Closing is Jan 6 so we should be down by the 9th or 10th. :pray: :pray:

edit: 28 degrees here and can't wait to gtfoh.

VillagerNut 12-10-2016 08:50 PM

I am not sure that anybody exactly answered your question. Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Friday are the scheduled trash days here. You can call first thing in the morning after you put out a very large item out at the curb and they will come pick it up. Yes they will take almost everything including TV's except refrigerators and freezers unless they have been certified the Freon has been removed. It is easier to let the business take the old appliances then to get it certified the Freon is removed. They will not take any kind of tires or car batteries. These items can be gotten rid of during the twice a year recycle days. You use black or white trash bags for regular trash. Clear bags for recycled trash. And paper lawn bags for any type of yard waste like grass our tree clippings for Weds pickup in addition to the other two days.. Cardboard boxes need to be broken down and they should be put out on your recycle day so they do not end up in the dump instead of the recycle center. Hopefully that helps! Are you looking for a new home or a preowned here?

EdFNJ 12-10-2016 09:45 PM

Thanks! That covers it all. :)

Looking for pre-owned - fast close - cash deal - furnished or turnkey under $170K (how far under depends on how it is "equipped"/how little we need to add to or do to it). :)

We're not taking any furniture with us. We've sold most off as of now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagerNut (Post 1332263)
I am not sure that anybody exactly answered your question. Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Friday are the scheduled trash days here. You can call first thing in the morning after you put out a very large item out at the curb and they will come pick it up. Yes they will take almost everything including TV's except refrigerators and freezers unless they have been certified the Freon has been removed. It is easier to let the business take the old appliances then to get it certified the Freon is removed. They will not take any kind of tires or car batteries. These items can be gotten rid of during the twice a year recycle days. You use black or white trash bags for regular trash. Clear bags for recycled trash. And paper lawn bags for any type of yard waste like grass our tree clippings for Weds pickup in addition to the other two days.. Cardboard boxes need to be broken down and they should be put out on your recycle day so they do not end up in the dump instead of the recycle center. Hopefully that helps! Are you looking for a new home or a preowned here?

Chatbrat 12-11-2016 06:20 AM

And the best feeling is scraping the NJ inspection & registration sticker from your windshields--welcome to freedom and especially tax freedom, and 2nd amendment freedom

golfing eagles 12-11-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1332309)
And the best feeling is scraping the NJ inspection & registration sticker from your windshields--welcome to freedom and especially tax freedom, and 2nd amendment freedom

I've left my expired NY inspection and registration stickers right where they were, as a daily reminder that I am NOT there. Another 2 feet of snow today scheduled to fall, after 32 inches just before Thanksgiving. I'll be on the golf course instead of shoveling.

Biker Dog 12-11-2016 06:33 AM

Twice yearly recycle days

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagerNut (Post 1332263)
They will not take any kind of tires or car batteries. These items can be gotten rid of during the twice a year recycle days.

Did not know they take tires and batteries on twice yearly recycle days. When and where are the twice yearly recycle days held?:wave: