Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Investment Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/)
-   -   The best investing blogs of 2016 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/best-investing-blogs-2016-a-223707/)

paperclip202 12-27-2016 03:06 PM

The best investing blogs of 2016

This was recently sent out by the local Investment Education Club in TV. Very good information if you want to build a more "institutional portfolio" rather than a simple index portfolio. For the investors still using expensive "active management" (like 1% advisor fees, mutual funds with commissions (A shares, B shares, C shares) or expensive mutual funds with expense ratios of 1%), you might want to rethink your strategy because of lower future expected returns for both stocks and bonds. If you have lower returns, you can't afford to pay 1% to 2.5% per year in total fees. The math simply doesn't work. If you have an advisor, ask them to detail your total cost of investing for 2016 (in writing). This includes advisor fees, commissions, all mutual fund expenses and any other hidden fees. I think many investors will be shocked that they pay $5k to $25k+ in total fees!

If you love investing, I think you will enjoy the links below.

Happy New Year! Good luck to all. If you have other favorite blogs or podcasts, please add them to this thread.

Best blogs of 2016
The Best Investment Writing 2016 | Meb Faber Research - Stock Market and Investing Blog

Projection - a standard 60/40 index portfolio has a close to 0% chance of a 5% real return per year over the next 10 years (real return after inflation). ** according to this article
Take the 5% Challenge! (or The “Lloyd Christmas” Lesson)

Best podcasts of 2016
The Top Investing Podcasts of 2016 | Meb Faber Research - Stock Market and Investing Blog

retirlib 01-04-2017 11:31 AM

Need information on Investment Education Club. Where do they meet and when?

Carla B 01-04-2017 02:16 PM

2nd and 4th Thursdays, 3 - 4:30 pm, Seabreeze Recreation Center. Next meeting is January 12.

Boomer 01-04-2017 07:17 PM

They used to meet at Seabreeze but I think the meeting moved to Moyer. Not sure though. Might be a good idea to call Moyer Rec Center to find out.

Carla B 01-05-2017 10:33 AM

They moved to Moyer for one meeting because maintenance was being done at the time at Seabreeze.

Boomer 01-05-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 1342828)
They moved to Moyer for one meeting because maintenance was being done at the time at Seabreeze.

Thank you, Carla, I am stilllllllll up north so I wasn't clear if the move was a permanent one. So back to Seabreeze it is. :)