Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/)
-   -   Bonita Pass OPENS (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/bonita-pass-opens-224970/)

N44125 01-06-2017 05:08 PM

Bonita Pass OPENS

Bonita Pass opened yesterday (Thursday) after being closed for 7 months for repairs. We played today and happy to report GC is in GREAT shape...greens, fairways and tee boxes are all pristine...there's also a new bridge that was installed.

fred53 03-29-2017 08:29 AM

The greens nice, but some still have issues around the parts of the perimeter(i.e.: no grass or very skimpy grass with a black mold).

mulligan 03-30-2017 06:09 AM

They did not overseed this year, and the grass is still dormant. In addition, the water quota was reduced last fall, so when the grass does start to grow, it will be slowly.

fred53 03-30-2017 06:58 AM

Not so....

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1379640)
They did not overseed this year, and the grass is still dormant. In addition, the water quota was reduced last fall, so when the grass does start to grow, it will be slowly.

they over seeded the tees and greens at all courses. The did not however over seed the fairways. The lack of water is not what caused some perimeter areas of some greens to lack grass and have black mold.

mulligan 03-30-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred53 (Post 1379652)
they over seeded the tees and greens at all courses. The did not however over seed the fairways. The lack of water is not what caused some perimeter areas of some greens to lack grass and have black mold.

Actually, all the tees and greens were NOT overseeded.

Polar Bear 03-30-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1379687)
Actually, all the tees and greens were NOT overseeded.

Not trying to cause trouble...this is an honest question...

Do you mean some were and some were not? Or do you mean none were?

fred53 03-30-2017 07:15 PM

Well if a person says that Bonita Passes were not over seeded(I played there twice in the past week)i'll take their word for it. As for the course supers they said all courses were overseeded with winter rye...but just the greens and tees. Since the greens were green at Bonita I assumed they were too. If not, I was wrong...no idea why they'd be green though since bermuda typically goes dormant during the winter months and with the shortage of water....well I guess I should pay closer attention next time I play Bonita eh?

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-30-2017 03:49 PM

I played it Sunday and it is in horrible condition. I can't imagine what they did during all those months it was closed.

bagboy 05-30-2017 04:18 PM

We played Bonita Pass a few days ago. Considering the lack of rainfall, I thought it was okay to decent. It will get much better soon with rain... if it ever comes.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-31-2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagboy (Post 1404916)
We played Bonita Pass a few days ago. Considering the lack of rainfall, I thought it was okay to decent. It will get much better soon with rain... if it ever comes.

I worked in the golf business for forty years at different golf courses in different parts of the country. I worked through droughts and I have never seen conditions like we have in The Villages. It is reasonable to expect the roughs to not be watered and dry out. It is also not unreasonable to expect to see tees dried up with dead grass. Fairways, aprons and fringes are normally kept decent unless the drought is extremely severe, but greens are almost always maintained.

When I see greens with huge areas of dead grass it is not due to drought.

bagboy 06-01-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1405498)
I worked in the golf business for forty years at different golf courses in different parts of the country. I worked through droughts and I have never seen conditions like we have in The Villages. It is reasonable to expect the roughs to not be watered and dry out. It is also not unreasonable to expect to see tees dried up with dead grass. Fairways, aprons and fringes are normally kept decent unless the drought is extremely severe, but greens are almost always maintained.

When I see greens with huge areas of dead grass it is not due to drought.

I also have a good amount of experience in the golf business. If you have a solution to the conditions that you find unacceptable, you might want to pass that information along to the maintenance staff.

Doctor Who 06-01-2017 03:52 PM

Bonita Pass Conditions

Granted I had 2 Martini's but shot at 33 on Bonita from the black on 5/31/17. Did not find too much in the way of problems for temps. approaching 100. Oh well free golf may not be for everyone.