Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Palmetto bugs in sink drain. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/palmetto-bugs-sink-drain-225802/)

sam&rog 01-12-2017 01:16 PM

Palmetto bugs in sink drain.

The bugs are bugging us. If we forget to put a stopper in the drain at night, there will be a bug in the sink occasionally the next morning.
Do not want to put any spray in the sink as it may contaminate dishes, etc.
They apparently live somewhere in the drain system.
Short of removing the drains to find them, does anyone have any suggestions?

rubicon 01-12-2017 01:20 PM

You need the assistance of a pest control company.... fast

Henryk 01-12-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam&rog (Post 1346365)
The bugs are bugging us. If we forget to put a stopper in the drain at night, there will be a bug in the sink occasionally the next morning.
Do not want to put any spray in the sink as it may contaminate dishes, etc.
They apparently live somewhere in the drain system.
Short of removing the drains to find them, does anyone have any suggestions?

I would boil a few gallons of water and pour them down the drain.

I have also heard from my pest control guy that the bugs do use the plumbing, and he told me to run the hot water occasionally in sinks and tubs that are not often used (such as your guest bathroom).

NotGolfer 01-12-2017 02:02 PM

Pour a box of baking soda down it followed by the bucket of boiling water. It will help "un-clog" the drain, freshen it as well as help get rid of those bugs.

Bogie Shooter 01-12-2017 05:40 PM

No boiling water in garbage disposal. It will damage the seals. Check you manual.

mulligan 01-13-2017 09:18 AM

My guess is the roaches are going to the sink drain for water,n but are actually living elsewhere.

graciegirl 01-13-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1346716)
My guess is the roaches are going to the sink drain for water,n but are actually living elsewhere.

Good guess. They often live in Palm trees and that is the reason we have decided not to have Palm trees.

. I would call Massey or Deans and sign them up and keep them on speed dial. I don't know anyone who doesn't have a pest service here for that very good reason. And then there are ants...and other annoying crawlies.

rubicon 01-13-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1346725)
Good guess. They often live in Palm trees and that is the reason we have decided not to have Palm trees.

. I would call Massey or Deans and sign them up and keep them on speed dial. I don't know anyone who doesn't have a pest service here for that very good reason. And then there are ants...and other annoying crawlies.

GG

Very true. if I had done my homework before landscaping I would have never planted Queens. And while I tackled pest control everywhere else I lived but not here. Here, in my view "he who pest controls himself has a fool for a client". Critters of all kinds are just so prolific here

Skip 01-13-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henryk (Post 1346370)
I would boil a few gallons of water and pour them down the drain.

I have also heard from my pest control guy that the bugs do use the plumbing, and he told me to run the hot water occasionally in sinks and tubs that are not often used (such as your guest bathroom).

MIS-READ and removed.

Skip

ColdNoMore 01-13-2017 05:19 PM

Does Pouring Bleach Down the Drain Stop Roaches?

How to Prevent Cockroaches in Your Drains | DoItYourself.com

How to Get Rid of Cockroaches in Your Drain | Terminix