Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Why there are no high end restaurants here (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/why-there-no-high-end-restaurants-here-228590/)

Chatbrat 01-31-2017 04:00 PM

Why there are no high end restaurants here

After seeing posts on other threat complaining that a burger @ $10.50 is too high and a person saying that 1/2 a portobello burger & a cup of soup is fine

I've got nothing more to say--but, you get what you don't want to pay for

Golf View 01-31-2017 06:42 PM

High End Dining

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1354450)
After seeing posts on other threat complaining that a burger @ $10.50 is too high and a person saying that 1/2 a portobello burger & a cup of soup is fine

Would you prefer a $20.00 burger? Does a higher price make it taste better?

Two Bills 01-31-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

You seem to have a misguided belief, that high prices make a good menu, or are you just a food snob. :mmmm:

Chatbrat 01-31-2017 06:59 PM

No, but I would like a $50.00 cowboy bone in ribeye and a good bottle of Zinfandel, not the swill that most restaurants here call wine

rivaridger1 01-31-2017 07:11 PM

High end dining restaurants to a great extent are reliant on business managers utilizing expense accounts. I do not really believe the like of The Palm, Morton's, Ruth Chris, etc. could maintain their business models without them. There is no shortage of money in The Villages. If there were, we'd not have three financial advisory firms on every street in every town square and most of the professional centers. I just think the majority of the residents, even those with significant personal wealth, came up the " hard way " and are perfectly happy to eat a $ 10.00 hamburger with a beer as opposed to a $ 47.50 Porterhouse with an $ 70.00 bottle of wine. " Been there, done that " for a number of wealthy residents, has to have some application to the lack of high end dining. With that said, I'd love to see a consistent high end steak/ seafood restaurant within the boundaries of The Villages. I doubt though, even if any couple were to eat there a half dozen times a year, and spent $ 275 to 400, it would stay in business. The demographics and geometrics simply do not work.

Chatbrat 01-31-2017 07:15 PM

Build it & they will come

Nucky 01-31-2017 07:23 PM

With all due respect. What we have here if we compare it to a old very popular television show is MASH. We have the majority of the Villages Crew in search of the balance of a reasonable price and a decent meal and then we have Charles Emerson Winchester III. :mmmm:

Two Bills 01-31-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1354522)
No, but I would like a $50.00 cowboy bone in ribeye and a good bottle of Zinfandel, not the swill that most restaurants here call wine

Zinfandel!!! They use that for cooking in the cheaper restaurants don't they? :wine: :sigh:

simpkinp 01-31-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Hey, I was talking about a lunch with neighbors, not a dinner. And I said the restaurant was empty. What I pay for a casual lunch with dinner is a far cry from what I would pay for a good dinner. IMHO The only place in TV that serves a good dinner is Lopez. Plan on $50 pp. Not big city gourmet, but good. It's just food. BTW! Many places will allow you to bring your own wine for a mere $10 corkage fee. Even Red Sauce for darn. Just ask.

permanentvacation 01-31-2017 09:17 PM

Go ask the people that live in the million dollar homes where they eat. They don't overpay and the don't eat crap...but you may have to drive a little.

kcrazorbackfan 01-31-2017 09:32 PM

Wow! What is up with some of you people? Food is food. I can eat a McDonald's burger and I'll bet you anything it will turn into crap and flush down a toilet just like a $10.50 burger or a $50 steak.

I like food, but damn, food is food. Fine dining is salmon patties, fried potatoes, collard greens, purple hull peas, cornbread and iced tea; I need to invite some of y'all over for "fine dining southern style".

rubicon 02-01-2017 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1354561)
Wow! What is up with some of you people? Food is food. I can eat a McDonald's burger and I'll bet you anything it will turn into crap and flush down a toilet just like a $10.50 burger or a $50 steak.

I like food, but damn, food is food. Fine dining is salmon patties, fried potatoes, collard greens, purple hull peas, cornbread and iced tea; I need to invite some of y'all over for "fine dining southern style".

kcrazorbackfan: Yep I call it peasant food.

What you are witnessing on these pages is an example of Oscar Wilde's "Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

golfing eagles 02-01-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1354561)

I think it's what happens between the lips and the other end that makes the deal for most people:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Chatbrat 02-01-2017 01:46 PM

To-twoBills--there are two types of Zinfandel--Pink & Red--the pink is the cheap stuff sometimes used for cooking--an average good bottle of Red Zinfandel hovers around $20.00/ retail--which means it would cost at least $50.00 in a restaurant

rubicon 02-01-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

This is about the fourth time you posted about your disappointment that The Villages does not have any high end restaurants. You may want to do a survey via local publications to see if there is a demand/market. You may want to speak with the District to see if the annual survey they do has indicated such a demand/market. And included in your inquiry ask if any high end restaurant have entered competition in this community.

Good Luck