Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Fross & Fross or Cebert Wealth (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/fross-fross-cebert-wealth-229772/)

long island linda 02-09-2017 01:21 PM

Fross & Fross or Cebert Wealth

We have relocated here this past summer and are looking for feedback on either of these investment firms. After searching previous posts most info is from 2013, we are looking for current information.
Thanks for your input

villagetinker 02-09-2017 01:54 PM

I cannot help you with these firms, I use Ameriprise, my investment person is a fiduciary, his compensation comes from a yearly payment, and NOT from investments. This eliminates the temptation to steer me to one investment over another one based on compensation from the investment.
Going forward, Trump has already started to disassemble many if not all of the safeguards that were created in the wake of the 2008 financial collapse, so make sure that whomever you choose, HIS YOUR BEST INTERESTS FIRST.
There was a prior thread that had an attachment that your investment person would sign indicating his independence from external compensation, if you do a search you should find it.
Hope this helps.

NotGolfer 02-09-2017 02:11 PM

We use Jeff Gruenke who used to be with Cebert but branched off on his own with 2 other guys. He's located on the corner of 441/27 and 466 in Lady Lake. Honest and reliable information....been with him since early 2009.

Dan9871 02-09-2017 02:20 PM

You might check with Francis Simms at Charles Schwab (352-430-3080) in Lake Sumter. Schwab has a number of investment firms that work through Schwab and most are fiduciaries. Also they have weekly talks typically presented by members of these firms. We found Francis very helpful in finding a firm to suit our needs.

l2ridehd 02-09-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1358189)
I cannot help you with these firms, I use Ameriprise, my investment person is a fiduciary, his compensation comes from a yearly payment, and NOT from investments. This eliminates the temptation to steer me to one investment over another one based on compensation from the investment.
Going forward, Trump has already started to disassemble many if not all of the safeguards that were created in the wake of the 2008 financial collapse, so make sure that whomever you choose, HIS YOUR BEST INTERESTS FIRST.
There was a prior thread that had an attachment that your investment person would sign indicating his independence from external compensation, if you do a search you should find it.
Hope this helps.

Please don't turn every financial question into a political discussion. The web site you showed supporting this position is so biased and unfactual that it is nothing more then a left wing political rag that shows every scare tactic possible.

As far as these two firms are concerned, they both charge high fee's when compared to the rest of the industry. And the rest of the industry charges to much. If you really need to use a financial advisor then find one that is fee only and not based on a % of your total invested funds. Find that agreement on here and ask anyone you hire to sign it. Most won't.

villagetinker 02-09-2017 04:23 PM

I did not intend to turn this political, sorry, just pointed out the current discussions. As for the reference to the attachment, I thought it was reasonable from an informational viewpoint, I would not necessarily use it. I was not recommending the firm, or at least I did not intend to.
You are correct, there will be lots of varied options on this subject.
Sorry if I have offended anyone, I will refrain from any further discussion on this topic.

dewilson58 02-09-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1358274)
I did not intend to turn this political, sorry, just pointed out the current discussions. As for the reference to the attachment, I thought it was reasonable from an informational viewpoint, I would not necessarily use it. I was not recommending the firm, or at least I did not intend to.
Sorry if I have offended anyone, I will refrain from any further discussion on this topic.

Saw Nothing political.

:wave:

Villager Joyce 02-09-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1358274)

You are the first and many times only person to offer assistance. You have offered to go to a persons house. I was highly offended at the tone taken by the person who responded to your post. Regular readers know who is the good guy and who is not! YOU are tbe good guy.

Boomer 02-09-2017 05:51 PM

I want to write a post here about considering sources, but I don't have time right now and there is probably no point anyway......

When Thomas Jefferson said, "The only security of all is a free press," he never could have imagined the "press" that critical thinkers must wade through in today's world.

Not only must we consider the source but we darn well better consider what the source is considering.

I might finish this later, but probably not.....

But maybe have a look at what this behavioral economist, on the Forbes site, has to say.

Forbes Welcome

And, btw, VT, I always like your posts.

rivaridger1 02-09-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 1358208)
Please don't turn every financial question into a political discussion. The web site you showed supporting this position is so biased and unfactual that it is nothing more then a left wing political rag that shows every scare tactic possible.

As far as these two firms are concerned, they both charge high fee's when compared to the rest of the industry. And the rest of the industry charges to much. If you really need to use a financial advisor then find one that is fee only and not based on a % of your total invested funds. Find that agreement on here and ask anyone you hire to sign it. Most won't.

Village Tinker, your posts are important to all the people that look to TOTV for information. I am probably more " right wing " then the individual taking exception with your reply to the OP. Continue to post, no matter your thoughts or political preferences. Your contributions based on what I have seen over the last year provide everyone in The Villages with extremely valuable information. We are all adults and can easily deal with the occasional opinion that is at odds with ours.

rhood 02-09-2017 07:32 PM

Graunke Hentz

Chatbrat 02-09-2017 08:33 PM

Honestly why would any reasonable person pay a stranger a fee to gamble with their money with no guarantee. Its a sucker bet- subscribe to a couple of magazines read & learn--its not rocket science to lear how to make $$ in the mkts--don't be suckers

784caroline 02-09-2017 09:24 PM

Look everyones financial situation is different than mine and yours, but you really need to understand who brings what to the table. The individual advisors mentioned or even Vanguard or Fidelity do offer cheaper altertantives to Financial advisors such as Fross and Fross and Cebert. However who is now managing your money today and MORESO what would happen if something seriously happened to your current money manager (ie you or me).

With Fidelity or Vanguard you are only an account number to them, they realy do not know your personal background or family history. The local ADVISORS try to get to know you and your family......so When (not if) something happens to you or me your spouse has someone to go to that they have met in person and hopefully can trust. They may not be the cheapest but 1% on net assets is very reasonable for managed accounts.

There is something to say about having a local contact and dealing with a local firm that has the ability to support your family in times of an emergency. There comes a time where cost is not the only factor in making financial decisions...ask yourself is my better half prepared to manage this estate in case something would happen to me...its all part of planing for the unknown which we will all reach at one point.

kaydee 02-09-2017 11:00 PM

Jeff Gruenke / Hentz

CassieInVa 02-10-2017 12:10 AM

Well, I have used advisors and they moved my money around every year or so (purchasing mutual funds called churning and costing me fees) before I realized that on top of the 1% I paid yearly, there were hard to discover other fees/commissions that you just don't see on the statements. Amerprise Rep put me in a variable annuity that even when in cash, paid a minimum 3% interest. I finally figured out with a lot of research that I was netting less than 1%. Also, it was an IRA in a life insurance product which was a no no and they had a class action suit against them for that.

I'm now happily handling my own finances - mostly index funds, iBonds and CDs. It is one of my hobbies and I wish there was a club or group that wanted to meet regularly to discuss the basics of retirement related investing, best CD rates, withdrawal strategies, etc. Not so much individual stock picking - there is a club for that.

Can we organize something?