Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Just curious....... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/just-curious-232955/)

trueorange 03-05-2017 08:12 PM

Just curious.......

Whilst taking my after dinner walk this evening, I saw 2 Sumter County Deputy Sheriff cars pull into my Village (which shall remain nameless) at a relatively high rate of speed. It got me to wondering if our law enforcement officers use swipe cards to get through the gates or if they have to buzz in. Does anyone know the answer?

redwitch 03-05-2017 09:53 PM

Buzz in. Seems ridiculous to me, especially that EMT's can't get in quickly.

Mrs. Robinson 03-06-2017 03:01 AM

Our Useless Gates

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1368858)
Buzz in. Seems ridiculous to me, especially that EMT's can't get in quickly.

You are 100% correct.

The gates are ridiculous, costly, serve no real purpose and slow down the egress and ingress of all vehicles, but mostly emergency vehicles.

One of these days someone will die because of the "slowing down" of the gates. I'd be willing to bet that has already happened.

Polar Bear 03-06-2017 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson (Post 1368884)
...The gates are ridiculous, costly, serve no real purpose...

Wrong in so many ways.

rubicon 03-06-2017 04:39 AM

Quote:

You are 100% correct.

The gates are ridiculous, costly, serve no real purpose and slow down the egress and ingress of all vehicles, but mostly emergency vehicles.

One of these days someone will die because of the "slowing down" of the gates. I'd be willing to bet that has already happened.

I am going to guess that you are relatively knew to The Villages. I do agree and wish that we were a true gated community but we are not. However I suggest you watch an observe and you will discover that the gates have their place here

Personal Best Regards:

biker1 03-06-2017 06:18 AM

The most important function of the gates is traffic flow control. Without the gates, it would be dangerous for golf carts to cross at the Village entrances. When you see the gates down, you can safely cross.

Quote:

You are 100% correct.

ColdNoMore 03-06-2017 06:54 AM

Quote:

You are 100% correct.

Yep. :thumbup:

There area plethora of locations were the gates don't have any relation to golf carts crossing the road...yet they still exist.

They do however, give some people a false sense that they live in an actual 'gated community'...so will probably never be removed.

Blessed2BNTV 03-06-2017 07:54 AM

Since there are cameras at the gates, and one must slow down to go through the gates, to me that's a good thing.

Like others have said, gates also slow traffic.

The OP had a good question....and now we know the answer.

golfing eagles 03-06-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

You are 100% correct.

Doubt it. Anyone who "dies" from a 10 or 15 second delay is not going to make it anyway.

jimmemac 03-06-2017 09:49 AM

A better question might be - why don't the EMT and police have a card? I want them here as fast as possible if we are hurt or my house is on fire or we are being robbed.

kcrazorbackfan 03-06-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1368907)
The most important function of the gates is traffic flow control. Without the gates, it would be dangerous for golf carts to cross at the Village entrances. When you see the gates down, you can safely cross.

Not true. With all of the gates I see knocked down, a cart driver really needs to still be aware of possible oncoming traffic in case someone decides to forego swiping their card, or has a "medical episode" and drives on thru the gate.

biker1 03-06-2017 10:15 PM

So you want to nitpick, fine. No matter what the state of the gate, you can still be killed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1369348)
Not true. With all of the gates I see knocked down, a cart driver really needs to still be aware of possible oncoming traffic in case someone decides to forego swiping their card, or has a "medical episode" and drives on thru the gate.

WhoDat 03-06-2017 10:36 PM

My biggest concern is crossing Bonita at Morse because there are no gates to slow down the cars. That is the only crossing with a round-a- bout I know of on Morse or Buena Vista where there is no gate. I wonder why?

Mrs. Robinson 03-06-2017 11:46 PM

No Gates!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1368894)
I am going to guess that you are relatively knew to The Villages. I do agree and wish that we were a true gated community but we are not. However I suggest you watch an observe and you will discover that the gates have their place here

Personal Best Regards:

No, I am not relatively "Knew" (sic). I have been here four years and see the confusion and problems our gates cause.

99% of residents never had a gate when they drove out of their previous community to a main street. Somehow -- they knew what to do. They either stopped or merged into traffic. And guess what? For the most part -- no accidents!

Personal Best Regards

Mrs. Robinson 03-06-2017 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1368918)
Yep. :thumbup:

There area plethora of locations were the gates don't have any relation to golf carts crossing the road...yet they still exist.

They do however, give some people a false sense that they live in an actual 'gated community'...so will probably never be removed.

You are correct. The gates will never be removed. Want to know why? The Morses et al use the damn gates as a sales tool to make would-be buyers think TV is a grand, safe place to be.

What a joke. The gates are a waste of our hard earned $$$ and definitely do not make our community any safer.