Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   We need recommendations for eye exams. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/we-need-recommendations-eye-exams-233125/)

birdiebill 03-07-2017 08:43 AM

We need recommendations for eye exams.

Both my wife and I need our annual eye exams. While living up north, my brother was our optometrist, but it is not practical to go there to see him. We are now year around residents in the Villages.

I am considering either Mid-Florida eye, Lake eye, or Ocala eye since all three have optometrists and ophthalmologists on staff. I have a small cataract that will probably need treated in a few years, but right now we just need to get established in a practice with regular eye exams.

Any pros or cons on these three? Or should we consider a different group? Our insurance is regular medicare.

Bogie Shooter 03-07-2017 09:02 AM

Ocala Eye, 12 year patient with no issues.

Chi-Town 03-07-2017 09:43 AM

Ocala Eye gives a thorough exam beyond what you would get at a retail store.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

outahere 03-07-2017 01:07 PM

We use Ocala Eye for exams and EyeSite in Grand Traverse plaza for glasses.

NotGolfer 03-07-2017 01:08 PM

We've been to both Mid-Florida and Ocala Eye but prefer Ocala over Mid-Florida. Mid-Florida had long waits to get checked and we weren't impressed with the office people, but that was just us. Never saw the same person twice there neither.

Gullwing7 03-07-2017 01:19 PM

So, Ocala Eye does take original Medicare? I wasn't able to find their doctors on the Medicare website where you can look for providers that accept Medicare. My parents are moving down here in about 6 weeks from Rochester NY. My father has Fuchs Dystrophy and will need a cornea transplant in the near future. My mother has glaucoma that needs constant monitoring but is unable to be fixed surgically.

l2ridehd 03-07-2017 02:44 PM

So far all Ocala eye, but I will never go back there. I waited in there second room with dilated eyes for two hours. I finally got up and left after several trips to front desk to see why I was still waiting. Never did get an acceptable answer. I now use Lake eye and have never waited more than 5 minutes past scheduled time and always get through each step in a decent time window.

It's like your time is worthless to them. I for one will never use them again.

2BNTV 03-07-2017 04:33 PM

I have been going to Mid Florida eye for three years and the office staff is excellent. Never a long wait until being seen.

Dr. Ray Maizel.

greenhillsgirl 03-07-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdiebill (Post 1369457)
Both my wife and I need our annual eye exams. While living up north, my brother was our optometrist, but it is not practical to go there to see him. We are now year around residents in the Villages.

I am considering either Mid-Florida eye, Lake eye, or Ocala eye since all three have optometrists and ophthalmologists on staff. I have a small cataract that will probably need treated in a few years, but right now we just need to get established in a practice with regular eye exams.

Any pros or cons on these three? Or should we consider a different group? Our insurance is regular medicare.

I have gone to Mid-Florida Eye for the last 5 years. I see both an opthomologist, Dr Maizel, an optometrist , Dr. Pietsche, and have been happy with both. I have family history of maculear degeneration, and Dr. Maizel is on top of it. Since I wear contacts, I see Dr. Pietsche also, and he is very thorough.

I have not experienced any long wait times, and I should add that in the case of an emergency, there are two local offices, and I had been seen the day I called.

Madelaine Amee 03-08-2017 07:29 AM

Ram eye care center — 751-6099

We prefer a single provider rather than a large clinic type practice so we see Dr. Ethiraj Ramchander, MD (known as Dr. Ram) who has his own practice Ram Eye Care and Retinal Center. He has offices both in The Villages near the hospital and another practice in Leesburg.

We are very pleased with him and his office staff. He takes numerous insurances and you will see the same staff each time you go.

villagerjack 03-08-2017 08:14 AM

Ocala Eye. Very thorough but sometime you will have to wait. I have been using them for ten years and have some problems that were diagnosed and properly treated. They also take the Villages UHC and Lake Eye does not. I have Dr Jodi Armstrong and I am very satisfied with her.

russtcc 03-08-2017 11:19 AM

We really liked Lange Eye care.

Avista 03-08-2017 08:41 PM

Been seen by both Ocala Eye and Mid Florida Eye. Both have good doctors. I prefer Mid Florida. Ocala Eye had me waiting long times while in office. Always apologizes. Always some reason. Mid florida Eye much more efficient. Dr Pieske a good optometrist. Mid Florida Eye has more than one office site. Their surgery is done right on 27/441. I believe (unless changed). Ocala Eye does surgery in Ocala.

almark45 03-10-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdiebill (Post 1369457)

Without a doubt, I highly recommend Dr. Paul Collins at EyeSite of The Villages located in The Grand Traverse Plaza at Powell Road and Hwy 44. (352) 674-3937
Dr. Collins was residency trained at Bascom Palmer which is #1 in the country. He prides himself in giving one to one personal time with each patient, and sees that his patients are seen on time and in and out of his office within 45 minutes to an hour. He also specializes in fitting contact lenses and has a very large selection of eyeglass frames.

jazzeoneaj 03-18-2017 04:31 PM

Dr. Hollman at Lake Eye..he is wonderful.