Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   Nashville (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/nashville-233790/)

rjn5656 03-12-2017 07:03 AM

Nashville

Was thinking of going to Nashville. Would you recomend flying and renting a car? or driving? If driving, any other good stops along the way.

Once there, any suggestions on hotels to stay at.

Any suggestions on must see's once we get there.

thanks

rjn5656 04-21-2017 05:58 AM

Still looking for ideas on Nashville.

Chi-Town 04-21-2017 07:35 AM

Nashville is10 hours away by car via I-75. Atlanta is roughly a halfway mark.
The Hampton Inn @ Opryland is a good hotel for location and services. A city tour is a good way to get an overview of Nashville.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Boomer 04-21-2017 07:54 AM

I have not been to Nashville in a long time so I can't give you any current advice from experience.

But you might find that Trip Advisor can help. If you go to tripadvisor.com and read the reviews for hotels and restaurants, you can get a pretty good feel for what is good and what is not. There are so many reviews on that site that you can easily see the pattern of what is being said. Sometimes there are review responses from hotel managers.

As far as places to see, if I want to visit somewhere in the US, I sometimes look at tour company websites to see what they have on their itineraries because they have it all figured out.

Have fun!

Bryan 04-21-2017 03:13 PM

I prefer the drive - hate all the BS involved in flying now-a-days.

If you are civil war buffs, a stop a Stone Mountain just north of Atlanta is worthwhile. Also the Chichamauga Battlefield and the Lookout Mountain Battlefield in Chattanooga, as well as a ride on the Incline Railway, is worthwhile.

If you are taking your time, an overnight at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo might be interesting as well as a visit to the Chattanooga Aquarium.

The drive along I-24 from Chattanooga to Nashville can be beautiful, especially as you cross Mounteagle Mountain.

In Nashville, there is a dinner boat river cruise that many have said if quite good. I have not gone on it.

Have fun.

JoMar 04-21-2017 05:44 PM

We are going to be there in August....so far have booked Grand Ole Opry, will also do the Ryman Theater and most likely the walking tour. I suspect we will find other stuff but it's early.

DigitalGranny 04-21-2017 05:55 PM

All good suggestions. Be sure to go see the Gaylord Opreyland Hotel atrium area. Definitely worth the trip. As far as restaurants,i wouldn't want to miss Hatties Hot Chicken and the Loveless Cafe (world famous biscuits, homemade jam, and do try the chicken here, too)

ColdNoMore 04-21-2017 09:09 PM

If it's just Nashville you want to see, I always fly and rent a car.

If it's a road trip you want to make though, driving and then stopping in Chattanooga and spending a day there (both ways)...makes for a nice little trip.

Not being a huge fan of Country (or Western :D) music or drinking (downtown has a lot of both), I actually prefer the things to do in Chattanooga (world class aquarium/Ruby Falls/Incline Railway/Lookout Mountain/etc.).

The Top 10 Things to Do in Chattanooga 2017 - TripAdvisor - Chattanooga, TN Attractions - Find What to Do Today, This Weekend, or in April

If you do end up in Chattanooga, after walking across the Walnut Creek Bridge...you'll definitely want to treat yourself at The Ice Cream Show. :thumbup:

Welcome
Quote:

We then let you create your personal flavor from over 17,000 possible combinations, by selecting from our list of over 40 fresh ingredients from fruits to chunks of Chocolate Chip cookie dough.