Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Toilet refill times (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/toilet-refill-times-233822/)

upstate 03-12-2017 09:47 AM

Toilet refill times

1 Attachment(s)
Our home is seven years old and I've noticed that one toilet takes about a minute longer to fill then the other. Can and how can I adjust it to refill faster, if possible.

Paper1 03-12-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstate (Post 1371799)
Our home is seven years old and I've noticed that one toilet takes about a minute longer to fill then the other. Can and how can I adjust it to refill faster, if possible.

Your post makes me smile, free time in retirement is wonderful.

Fredster 03-12-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper1 (Post 1371805)
Your post makes me smile, free time in retirement is wonderful.

:agree:
I chuckled thinking of all the possibilities, like toilet refill race competitions etc.
There could be a new TV club CC "Commode Commodores"
But all kidding aside, maybe you could slow the fast filling one down, by crimping the the refill line?

DeanFL 03-12-2017 10:35 AM

hmmm, at this point in our lives, I tend to think we should be concerned about toilet "fill" times rather than refill times.

Sorry about the mental image this may present. Potty Talk joking never seems to get old - no matter how old we are...

Rapscallion St Croix 03-12-2017 10:42 AM

The solution is quite simple. If the slow toilet is in a guest bathroom, do nothing. If not, switch the two toilets. BTW, I am also blessed with mild OCD.

Topspinmo 03-12-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstate (Post 1371799)

If you don't have screw on and off valve at the wall and it's not open enough Your fill valve plugging up. It probably will get worse as time goes by. The fluidmaster kits are easy to replace. You can get just the fill valve for about $10 bucks or complete kit for around $18 bucks. Utube has plenty of videos on the subject

Marathon Man 03-12-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1371824)
hmmm, at this point in our lives, I tend to think we should be concerned about toilet "fill" times rather than refill times.

Sorry about the mental image this may present. Potty Talk joking never seems to get old - no matter how old we are...

:1rotfl:

Tom Hannon 03-12-2017 01:23 PM

Had the same issue.
Amazon has washer tp help stop reloading and faster loading. The number is GP 1059291

Reiver 03-12-2017 02:59 PM

Unless the top tank is leaking into the bowl and causing the water to run longer than necessary, it is working as intended.

Jima64 03-12-2017 04:09 PM

a clogged screen in the valve.

upstate 03-12-2017 08:15 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Rapscallion St Croix 03-13-2017 11:25 AM

Serious answer here. Check the water levels in each tank. Chances are the one that fills fastest is set to shut off at a lower level.

Sparty6971 03-13-2017 12:11 PM

This will seem strange - I couldn't believe it myself. I had one tank refill rate at about 90 seconds and the other at about 25 seconds. When I changed out the mechanism inside the tank that did little to nothing other than both filling a couple seconds faster. I then removed the flexible hose from the wall shut-off valve to the tank bottom fitting. Inside the hose was a device placed there purposely by the previous owner (I'm guessing he was the one from the other weird stuff he did) which looked like it was maybe a flow-restrictor for either rate or pressure, not sure what the purpose was. When I removed that device, the fill rate of the slow tank changed to the same rate as the faster tank. So-o-o-o... Changing the tank mechanism might be a good idea (change out the flapper valve at the same time) and change the flexible line from the wall to the tank bottom connector. You might not have a restrictor like I did but your line may be crimped inside or clogged with debris. The only other item would be the wall shut-off valve but that is not likely the issue. Good luck.

Reiver 03-13-2017 01:21 PM

I'd guess that the flexible supply line flow restrictor was intended for a sink.

NoMoSno 03-13-2017 01:44 PM

Could also be the mixer valve that mixes in a little hot water, to keep the tank from sweating.