Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Mounds in yard (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/mounds-yard-234718/)

MURPHY1327 03-19-2017 08:15 AM

Mounds in yard

My yard is full of small mounds. I was told by our yard person it was mole crickets. After reading, i realize they are way to small to make these mounds. They are not large enough to be gopher (we had those) and i don't believe they are moles because they are close together and no visible tunnels.
Any thoughts as to what it could be and how to ride the lawn.

Regards

Bogie Shooter 03-19-2017 08:21 AM

Here are some examples and cures.

small mounds in yard florida - Bing

villagetinker 03-19-2017 08:51 AM

They might be fire ants, and if so, go to ACE hardware (or your favorite store), and buy a suitable poison. We had these shortly after we moved in, I treated the mounts, and they have not returned. There is a reason these are called fire ants, they sting/bite, be careful.
Hope this helps.

graciegirl 03-19-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1374751)
They might be fire ants, and if so, go to ACE hardware (or your favorite store), and buy a suitable poison. We had these shortly after we moved in, I treated the mounts, and they have not returned. There is a reason these are called fire ants, they sting/bite, be careful.
Hope this helps.

Still be careful. Fireants return each year and their bites really hurt and stay with you for at least a week.

Fireant hill in yard in Florida - Bing images

graciegirl 03-19-2017 09:34 AM

Here are pictures of Mole crickets in lawn.

Mole cricket mounds in lawn. - Bing images

Villager Joyce 03-19-2017 10:12 AM

We have "them", too. Our mounds are along the edge between the yard and street and the yard and driveway. Our yard person also said mole crickets. Definitely better since treatment, but not gone.

Arctic Fox 03-19-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MURPHY1327 (Post 1374729)
My yard is full of small mounds. I was told by our yard person it was mole crickets. After reading, i realize they are way to small to make these mounds. They are not large enough to be gopher (we had those) and i don't believe they are moles because they are close together and no visible tunnels.

Regards

Can you post a photo? If several small cones close together then almost certainly fire ants. Loose sand falls down the cone and makes it look closed, but they will be down there!

bagboy 03-19-2017 11:29 AM

From my experience with my lawn here and in SC, clumpy mounds of sand are usually mole crickets and smoother mounds are usually fire ants. Usually, not always. Any good lawn care company can treat a lawn for either. If you want to treat them yourself, I use and recommend Lesco CrossXcheck. It comes in granular and liquid form for sprayer application. I use the liquid in a one gallon sprayer. You can also use CrossXcheck on shrubs, flowers, and bi monthly around the foundation of your house. As with any product, read and follow the instructions.

laryb 03-19-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MURPHY1327 (Post 1374729)

Regards

I had moles, and some of the mounds were close together, and there weren't any visible tunnels. Most of the mounds were along the shrub edging or along the foundation, and some in the middle of the yard, or along the irrigation lines. If they're not from fire ants, you can break the mound down and stick your finger in the dirt, and feel for the tunnel. Tried trapping them myself with no luck, and finally had a pro trap them. Two moles tunneled in parts of 3 yards. Was told they can tunnel up to 17' a day. They are the size of a small mouse

Jima64 03-20-2017 09:00 AM

moles

the moles are there eating the white grub worms.

mulligan 03-20-2017 11:09 AM

The mole/gopher poison found at Sparr works really well.

Choice Maintenance 03-20-2017 01:07 PM

Just had a customer who had a recent run in with pocket gophers. Try googling "pocket gopher mound" and see if they look like the mounds you have in your yard.

This customer was located in the Harmeswood area of the villages. I referred him to a friend of mine who has a business trapping pest and rodents. If you need his help his name is Brian Fennelly (352)-426-9776. He set traps on a Friday and came back Monday to two dead pocket gophers. I think he can also set live traps instead of kill traps if you prefer.