Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Lampost switch (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/lampost-switch-236524/)

Northerner52 04-01-2017 07:35 PM

Lampost switch

Where is the outside lamp switch in these new homes south of 466a?

villagetinker 04-01-2017 07:55 PM

If you are talking about the garage lights (outside) this is usually near the front door. Also, the light by the front door is in this location. If you are talking about the post light, there is NO manual switch, it has a light activated switch on the post, and it goes to a GFI in the garage.
Hope this helps.

Northerner52 04-01-2017 07:56 PM

i was referring to the post light. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1380890)
If you are talking about the garage lights (outside) this is usually near the front door. Also, the light by the front door is in this location. If you are talking about the post light, there is NO manual switch, it has a light activated switch on the post, and it goes to a GFI in the garage.
Hope this helps.

graciegirl 04-01-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northerner52 (Post 1380892)
i was referring to the post light. Thanks

You have been here since 2014 so I am sure you know that all lampposts are activated at one time when it get's dark.

Kannon451 04-01-2017 08:55 PM

There is no on/off switch. There is a dedicated breaker in the circuit breaker panel that will turn off the post light if switched to "OFF".

Northerner52 04-01-2017 09:39 PM

Is it required to be on at night?

RickeyD 04-01-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northerner52 (Post 1380915)
Is it required to be on at night?

Absolutely no.

DeanFL 04-02-2017 08:06 AM

If you're concerned about elec $ - switch to LED lamps. We did. Ours uses 3 candelabra type bulbs, and I got them online for about $10. They have vertical LED "filaments" inside the bulb and look just like reg bulbs - but less than 1/5 the wattage.

villagetinker 04-02-2017 08:37 AM

OP, with regard to the lamp post light being on a night, I believe that these are required to be on, community standards would be able to tell you.
I completely agree with using LED lamps. Also, depending on how the house is wired, there may not be a dedicated breaker for the post lamp, ours is tapped off the garage GFI circuit on a box in the attic, labeled 'post lamp', same for at least one of our neighbors.
If you are asking about the switch to do repair work on the lamp, look for a breaker labeled 'post lamp or garage GFI/post lamp' and open it, then double check the ciruit is dead before working on it. Several local hardware stores carry the light activated switches.

RickeyD 04-02-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1380996)
OP, with regard to the lamp post light being on a night, I believe that these are required to be on, community standards would be able to tell you.
I completely agree with using LED lamps. Also, depending on how the house is wired, there may not be a dedicated breaker for the post lamp, ours is tapped off the garage GFI circuit on a box in the attic, labeled 'post lamp', same for at least one of our neighbors.
If you are asking about the switch to do repair work on the lamp, look for a breaker labeled 'post lamp or garage GFI/post lamp' and open it, then double check the ciruit is dead before working on it. Several local hardware stores carry the light activated switches.

Post light is NOT required to be on. Only HAVING a post is required.

graciegirl 04-02-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickeyD (Post 1380997)

Can you link us to proof of this?

biker1 04-02-2017 09:02 AM

He is correct, at least for my CDD (#10). The exact language can be found on districtgov.org.

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1381003)
Can you link us to proof of this?

villagetinker 04-02-2017 11:02 AM

I stand corrected:

2.8 Each Home and Homesite must contain a concrete driveway, and a lamppost must be erected in the front yard of each Homesite.

However, in the almost 4 years I have lived here, 2 neighbors were told to fix lampposts lights that were not working, so I assumed that they were required to be working. No idea if Community Watch or a complaint initiated the request to have the lights repaired.

DonH57 04-02-2017 11:29 AM

In the 4 years we've lived here I can't count how many we've seen with either bulbs not working or on in daytime. Never thought about it till now and won't think of it again tomorrow night either

CWGUY 04-02-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickeyD (Post 1380997)

:shrug:So my guess is that it is like a brain.... you're required to have one, but you don't have to use it. :rolleyes: