Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   URGENT - broken window (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/urgent-broken-window-237899/)

RErmer 04-12-2017 03:16 PM

URGENT - broken window

Just had a golf ball fly through a window in our house. Any suggestions for someone who can replace the glass quickly would be most appreciated. Approx. 33 x 29 single pane window.

The good news is the culprit admitted his errant shot and is going to pay for the repairs.

wholman66 04-12-2017 03:51 PM

ROMAC garage door, replaced ours. Just call their local number and they will direct you.

Bogie Shooter 04-12-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RErmer (Post 1385635)
Just had a golf ball fly through a window in our house. Any suggestions for someone who can replace the glass quickly would be most appreciated. Approx. 33 x 29 single pane window.

The good news is the culprit admitted his errant shot and is going to pay for the repairs.

That was nice of him, but he was not responsible for paying.

RErmer 04-12-2017 06:09 PM

Understood, but then again there are good people in this world.

Barefoot 04-12-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1385687)
That was nice of him, but he was not responsible for paying.

I'm going to pull a Bogie Shooter now.
Where is it written that he is not responsible for paying?

EPutnam1863 04-12-2017 07:08 PM

We lived in a golf course community out in California years ago in Half Moon Bay. There was one house that seemed to be a favorite of errant golf balls. It was a huge picture window, and after it was broken three times, the owner's insurance company refused to cover it any longer. So the seller had to put the house on the market, and it took forever to sell it even though the other listings sold like hotcakes.

In Oregon down the street from us was a house that was hit so many times that the owner had a 12 ft wall put up.

In Florida in our golf course community there was a house with ceramic tile roof. After several times of being hit by golf balls, the roof started to look like a patchwork quilt.

There was one house we wanted to buy but decided not to because it was sited at one green.

Kathrynsews 04-12-2017 07:10 PM

I'm curious too. I believe the golfers homeowner liability insurance would cover it, and I'd like to know why he's not liable. Just wondering...in my home state he definitely would be responsible.

renrod 04-12-2017 08:31 PM

Google Florida Law regarding the issue. I understand Florida law says you don't have to pay for damage caused by golf ball. Must of been written by a lawyer that plays golf.

jnieman 04-12-2017 11:22 PM

call home warranty they will give you the name of the co. who installed your windows

RErmer 04-13-2017 06:08 AM

Good thought except house too old. But he is no longer in business. I know because of an issue we had a year ago.

bimmertl 04-13-2017 08:04 AM

[QUOTE=renrod;1385730]Google Florida Law regarding the issue. I understand Florida law says you don't have to pay for damage caused by golf ball. Must of been written by a lawyer that plays golf.[/QUOTE

Rob Samouce: If you live around a golf course, you assume the risk of being hit with golf balls

autumnspring 04-13-2017 08:50 AM

For my two cents worth

1. There is right and there is wrong. What is law is not always what is right. It is not the homeowner who caused the damage but rather the person who hit the ball.
2. The homeowner might ask about glass less likely to break.
This will of course be more expensive than the damaged glass and the homeowner should, for my view pay the difference.

Bogie Shooter 04-13-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suesiegel (Post 1385868)
1. There is right and there is wrong. What is law is not always what is right. It is not the homeowner who caused the damage but rather the person who hit the ball.
2. The homeowner might ask about glass less likely to break.
This will of course be more expensive than the damaged glass and the homeowner should, for my view pay the difference.

But the homeowner bought the house on the golf course.
Google the question.........

Bogie Shooter 04-13-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1385702)
I'm going to pull a Bogie Shooter now.
Where is it written that he is not responsible for paying?

Google for your answer.

Topspinmo 04-13-2017 05:59 PM

Why is the golfer not responsible, let's look at who golfs that can influence responsibility. IMO The 1%er, the lawyers, the politicians. There your answer.:gc: