Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Fresh Market - changed since buy out. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/fresh-market-changed-since-buy-out-241234/)

Madelaine Amee 05-19-2017 08:40 AM

Fresh Market - changed since buy out.

When I heard that Fresh Market had been bought out I kinda sorta thought there would be changes. For some time there were no changes, but now it is noticeable that the new company is cutting corners. It is no longer a high end grocery store. The $2.99 Tuesday is now all week and the quality is very inferior. The bread is no longer baked every day or every two days as it was in the past. For us, the biggest and worst change is the loss of the Manager and I am going to murder his name, but I think it is Jaimel. Of course, these changes are all good for Publix and good luck to them.

I can never understand why a company purchases a really good business and gradually burns it down like this. Do they really think the people who go in there and spend $100 on steaks etc., are going to still shop there?, think again.

MrGolf 05-19-2017 08:46 AM

We continue to shop there and have not noticed any decline in either the quality of the food nor in the level of service.

jblum315 05-19-2017 09:21 AM

Fresh Market used to have excellent San Francisco style sourdough bread. Not any more. They still have sourdough bread but it's really bad

OldManTime 05-19-2017 09:30 AM

One way to rid your competition, is to buy the business, and then run it down.

blueeagle65 05-19-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1400549)
For us, the biggest and worst change is the loss of the Manager and I am going to murder his name, but I think it is Jaimel.

Jermain Johnson

blueeagle65 05-19-2017 11:18 AM

I agree about the excellent quality and service, although imposed budget cuts have fewer people on the floor.

Madelaine Amee 05-19-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueeagle65 (Post 1400599)
Jermain Johnson

Thank you, yes Jermain, from a customer's point of view he was a great WORKING Manager. He was a real worker and his people loved him.

rivaridger1 05-19-2017 11:41 AM

I thought they were bought by Apollo Global which is an investment management firm which specializes in " unlocking the hidden value " of their acquisitions. You do that by getting rid of " expensive " employees who cater to customers and by cheapening the brand. You then sell the business you " fixed" to another company which wants to add sales because it is one of the CEO's bonus goals and adds millions of dollars to his pocket at the end of the year. Investment managers do not make good grocers, restaurateurs, industrialists , engineers or medical professionals. They do however change business models to make very dynamic businesses quite hum drum. With that said, yep you can no longer buy a veal chop in Fresh Market and the fish case seems to lack the variety it once had.

Polar Bear 05-19-2017 11:46 AM

Oh no! The seafood salad??? (Yes, I know it's fake crab meat. But I still love it. :) )

JSR22 05-19-2017 01:09 PM

I think their meat is better. On Tuesday bought Chateaubriand and it was excellent. Purchased 6 veal loin chops and grilled 2 last nigh they were delicious.

Ithreeputtoo 05-19-2017 03:20 PM

Looks to me that it was bought out some time in 2016. We do go there but not often. I have not been disappointed in what I have purchased at the store so far. Time will tell.

logdog 05-19-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1400616)
Oh no! The seafood salad??? (Yes, I know it's fake crab meat. But I still love it. :) )

Seafood salad is still there. Bought some shrimp and salmon salads today... no fake crab for me.

Tweety Bird 05-19-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1400616)

Me too. Love it! It's great on a croissant!