Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Drove to Fenney...Here's my takeaway (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/drove-fenney-heres-my-takeaway-241290/)

Rapscallion St Croix 05-20-2017 11:21 AM

Drove to Fenney...Here's my takeaway

Drove down via Morse extension south of 44. Here are the two most interesting things I discovered:

1. Ain't saying it's far, but my clothes went out of style on the trip down.

2. Despite The Villages describing it thusly " . Nestled in oak hammocks and overlooking wildlife preserves and springs, the Village of Fenney is old Florida at its finest." the above description only applies to the first two hundred yards. It is a facade through which one drives to reach a desert where all the vegetation was stripped and replaced with palm trees.

Noteworthy is the number of covered wagons stationed along side the road all the way down, denoting that TV is the claim owner.

Just reporting what I saw. No opinion offered as I am happy where I am and wish the same for all.

golfing eagles 05-20-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1400977)
Drove down via Morse extension south of 44. Here are the two most interesting things I discovered:

1. Ain't saying it's far, but my clothes went out of style on the trip down.

2. Despite The Villages describing it thusly " . Nestled in oak hammocks and overlooking wildlife preserves and springs, the Village of Fenney is old Florida at its finest." the above description only applies to the first two hundred yards. It is a facade through which one drives to reach a desert where all the vegetation was stripped and replaced with palm trees.

Noteworthy is the number of covered wagons stationed along side the road all the way down, denoting that TV is the claim owner.

Just reporting what I saw. No opinion offered as I am happy where I am and wish the same for all.

Good post, except that if you are like most Villagers, your clothes went out of style 30 years ago(mine too):1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Bjeanj 05-20-2017 12:03 PM

Husband and I drove down Friday morning. In retrospect, we should have gone a bit later when Open House was in session (I think noon to 2:30). I had to smile at Rapscallion's description, as it was exactly right. While amazing to watch a Village being built, I found myself thinking it really had nothing to do with "my universe." On the way back, I noted it took us 10 minutes to get to 44 from the Village entrance, although we were behind a dump truck.

Obviously, many lots sold, homes in process of being built. Did have a chance to go through the only model open (on the corner by the entrance). Lots of square footage, very nice lanai, a master bath I would love to have. The model next door reportedly has an upstairs loft area, which we were not able to see.

It's nice The Villages is growing, but it's like if I was still living in the Indianapolis area. From the north suburb to the south suburb it takes about 30 minutes to drive. When we lived there, I didn't drive to that side of town, as I was close to just about everything I needed. If there was new construction on the other side of town, my reaction was , hm, interesting, but that's about it.

Kudos to the developer for such an amazing and successful vision.

normandy 05-20-2017 12:04 PM

Do the villages still have a bus to tour fenny area and where do you get on???

jimmemac 05-20-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normandy (Post 1400998)

No,

CWGUY 05-20-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normandy (Post 1400998)

Yes. Trolleys leave from Market Square and Paddock Square. I would call the sales dept. for the CORRECT info. :ohdear:

ggnlars 05-20-2017 01:38 PM

I made that same trek last weekend. We were headed to Sarasota and I thought it would be interesting to go to 75 that way. Research indicates a number of models/spec homes are either completed or in process. However, from the road it appeared to be more empty space in various stages of development. They just opened the lot sales the end of Feburary. By definition, the only choices are new homes. A model spec or build on a lot. The first build house will likely be finished in July. So this fall the appearance will be different. The square will likely be open and running at that time.

pauld315 05-20-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggnlars (Post 1401035)
The square will likely be open and running at that time.

I haven't heard of any square being built south of 44 yet.

Schaumburger 05-20-2017 03:34 PM

I plan on visiting Fenney during my visit to The Villages in September. I will be staying on the Historical Side. Should I pack provisions for the trip from Silver Lake to Fenney? :)

I am looking forward to seeing the newest part of The Villages.

CWGUY 05-20-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schaumburger (Post 1401079)
I plan on visiting Fenney during my visit to The Villages in September. I will be staying on the Historical Side. Should I pack provisions for the trip from Silver Lake to Fenney? :)

I am looking forward to seeing the newest part of The Villages.

My recommendation would be to stay a night at The Waterfront Inn and get an early start in the morning.:jester:

justjim 05-20-2017 03:44 PM

We made the trip to Fenney 3 times. Interesting the more times you go the shorter it seems. The fact we were traveling down from LaBelle likely makes some difference. If you want to purchase a new home, your options are going to be limited soon to far north or far south in The Villages. There are literally several hundred resales available so you could say there is something for just about everyone.

Schaumburger 05-20-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1401084)
My recommendation would be to stay a night at The Waterfront Inn and get an early start in the morning.:jester:

LOL. I'd better update my GPS before my next trip to TV. But the GPS may not be a lot of help. I will stop by one of the sales offices to get directions to Fenney. If I keep driving and see a sign "Welcome to Miami" I know I've gone too far south. :laugh:

vintageogauge 05-20-2017 04:35 PM

We took a ride down there and bought a spec. designer home. There are quite a few of them sold now and dozens completed and ready for buyers. Distance is relative to where you are, we are currently in Charlotte and we drive down several times a day, it takes 10 to 12 minutes depending on how you hit the light at Morse and 44.. To us, Spanish Springs is an overnighter. From Fenny to Paddock Square it is also 12 minutes via 301 to 44. Shopping is easy, new Publix at Morse and 44, colony is 10 to 12 minutes, morse to Southern Leesburg via 44 to 411 is not far, we have driven to Babette's several times but never really timed it, they are just south of 44. Leesburg hospital is less than 15 minutes away. As far as vegetation goes, of course they cleared it out to build the houses however there is still a lot of protected green areas in phase one. The bar and grill at the rec center is going to be a hit for sure, the miles of walking paths were a plus for us also. I can go on and on. Are there negatives, of course there are espcially if you are a golfer which we are not. Fenney is not for everyone but neither are any of the other villages. Give it a chance, you will all get to enjoy it as time goes bye.

Polar Bear 05-20-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1400977)
...Just reporting what I saw. No opinion offered...

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

keithwand 05-20-2017 05:39 PM

Welcome Vintage. 5 years ago we heard the same about being so for South and packing a lunch. We are behind Bonifay so now in the middle of the villages!
5 years years from now Fenney might be the new middle.