Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Speeders (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/speeders-241473/)

tjasc1411 05-24-2017 02:54 PM

Speeders

Does anyone out there know who to contact concerning speeding vehicles in our community? I called the Sumter Co Sheriff's Office and left a message, but no return call. We live in the Village of Pinellas very close to the entry gate on 466A and Pinellas Pl. Pinellas Place is a virtual speedway on a daily basis. Mainly contractor vehicles, but also residents. They speed from the gate coming into the property and speed to the gate while exiting. Would sure like some reasonable suggestions.

villagetinker 05-24-2017 03:00 PM

I did the same, with the same result, NO return call. My next step will be to call the Sumter County Commissioners or stop by their office in Pinellas Plaza. Tjasc1411, you are correct, our house backs up to Pinellas Place, and there are many cars and possibly MORE golf carts going over the speed limits.

dewilson58 05-24-2017 03:19 PM

They put an electronic speed sign on Eisenhower Way.

It got my attention and it's a good reminder.

Good to know my cart's speedometer is accurate.

57ChevyFI 05-24-2017 03:36 PM

Sheriff Buford T. Justice would be my first option.

pauld315 05-24-2017 03:50 PM

I think they should put some speed bumps there about every 5 or 10 feet, that will slow them down.

RedBaron 05-24-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjasc1411 (Post 1402598)
Does anyone out there know who to contact concerning speeding vehicles in our community? I called the Sumter Co Sheriff's Office and left a message, but no return call. We live in the Village of Pinellas very close to the entry gate on 466A and Pinellas Pl. Pinellas Place is a virtual speedway on a daily basis. Mainly contractor vehicles, but also residents. They speed from the gate coming into the property and speed to the gate while exiting. Would sure like some reasonable suggestions.

I feel your pain. I live in an area where there is lots of new building of homes going on and these men don't know what a speed limit is. I walk my dog several times a day and have to really watch out for these guys speeding down the middle of the street. But today a resident was backing out of his driveway just as I was going by his driveway and he never even looked and almost hit me, then to make matters worse, he tail gated me all the way to Morse, and when we came to a stop at Morse, he was literally probably a nose away from my bumper. :cus

cms36 05-24-2017 05:50 PM

We've been coming down here for the last three years and this trip I've noticed a large increase in speeding and aggressive driving

karostay 05-24-2017 06:19 PM

Sad to say The Villages is growing Growing Growing.Becoming like any town in USA
Don't get me wrong still love it here..but changes are part of the expansion.
Remember when you first got here everyone would :wave:said hello. Road trash was nowhere to be found
Back just 6 or seven years ago law enforcement was seen quite regularly on our streets.You didn't dare make a rolling stop
Today not so much I haven't seen the motorcycle patrol in at least a year. My take too big to patrol with out expanding :police:dept

ColdNoMore 05-24-2017 07:46 PM

:1rotfl:

Take up a collection and put these down. . :D

Rubber Speed Bumps - Portable & Recycled | Traffic Safety Store

http://www.trafficsafetystore.com/i/...-6-160x208.jpg

Carl in Tampa 05-24-2017 08:29 PM

Put it in writing.

I suggest an intensive letter writing campaign.

1. Letters to the Editor of the Villages Sun.

2. Letters to the CDD in which the offenses are taking place, asking that they contact the appropriate law enforcement agency.

3. Letters and e-mail messages to the appropriate law enforcement agency, remembering that The Villages lies in three different counties and in the town of Lady Lake.

In the letters:

Be very specific about the location and time of day when the offenders are at their worst.

Ask for enhanced enforcement of the traffic laws to curtail these offenses.

Drive very carefully yourself; it will be embarrassing if you end up getting caught in the increased enforcement effort.

Mrs. Robinson 05-24-2017 11:32 PM

NO Speed Bumps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauld315 (Post 1402623)
I think they should put some speed bumps there about every 5 or 10 feet, that will slow them down.

Yes -- speed bumps will slow you down
However, worse than that, they wreck your car, even at a slow speed.

Boo-Boo, Hiss-Hiss to speed bumps!

roob1 05-25-2017 05:19 AM

Call 911 and report that there are speeding vehicles in the area. When the deputy arrives, have a conversation with him and ask if the area can receive special attention. Offer the use of your driveway for him to park in, to monitor vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjasc1411 (Post 1402598)

JerryP 05-25-2017 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roob1 (Post 1402781)
Call 911 and report that there are speeding vehicles in the area. When the deputy arrives, have a conversation with him and ask if the area can receive special attention. Offer the use of your driveway for him to park in, to monitor vehicles.

Good idea, except I would call the non emergency number.

charmed59 05-25-2017 06:21 AM

If you are complaining about the speeding because of the noise I wouldn't ask for speed bumps. They make much more noise.

RedBaron 05-25-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa (Post 1402727)
I suggest an intensive letter writing campaign.

1. Letters to the Editor of the Villages Sun.

2. Letters to the CDD in which the offenses are taking place, asking that they contact the appropriate law enforcement agency.

3. Letters and e-mail messages to the appropriate law enforcement agency, remembering that The Villages lies in three different counties and in the town of Lady Lake.

In the letters:

Be very specific about the location and time of day when the offenders are at their worst.

Ask for enhanced enforcement of the traffic laws to curtail these offenses.

Drive very carefully yourself; it will be embarrassing if you end up getting caught in the increased enforcement effort.

Who would we write to about the workers who are speeding through our area? Also, isn't there a time before which they can't begin working? I walk my dog every morning at 5:30 and this a.m., the workers were already out with their bright spot lights and loud digging equipment behind this beautiful home near me, working away. I felt so bad for the homeowner.