Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Epoxy...Garage and Lanai Floors (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/epoxy-garage-lanai-floors-241747/)

roob1 05-30-2017 02:37 PM

Epoxy...Garage and Lanai Floors

Got estimates from 2 contractors highly recommended on this site.

One indicated epoxy with clear coat is not appropriate for a very small lanai concrete floor that gets wet on outside edge when raining (through screen); the other contractor says it is fine.

Also, one says the clear coat never has to be reapplied, while the other says reapply once a year (or less, dependent upon usage). Both use same epoxy product but possibly different clear coat?

Thoughts from those who have had this process done????

rivaridger1 05-30-2017 02:54 PM

Had our garage floor done and note where it get wets at the door edge because the door is up or screen is down when it starts raining the epoxy finish has turned " milky ". That fits with what the one contractor said about the outside lanai edges where they would get wet. As to the clear coat, in a garage I'd not think a recoat is needed. Our contractor said nothing about it.

villagetinker 05-30-2017 03:07 PM

In any case, you need to have 'shark grip' added to the epoxy (with no clear coat), or to the clear coat, or you will tend to end up with a skating rink when every the floor is wet.
Hope this helps.

VApeople 05-30-2017 03:12 PM

Like many people, we had Tim Miller epoxy our garage floor and it turned out great. When our house was being built, we had 'cool deck' put on our lanai floor and on our front walkway and it looks beautiful.

village dreamer 05-30-2017 05:10 PM

yes tim miller.

roob1 05-31-2017 04:23 AM

Thank you for specifically addressing my questions!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivaridger1 (Post 1404882)
Had our garage floor done and note where it get wets at the door edge because the door is up or screen is down when it starts raining the epoxy finish has turned " milky ". That fits with what the one contractor said about the outside lanai edges where they would get wet. As to the clear coat, in a garage I'd not think a recoat is needed. Our contractor said nothing about it.

DangeloInspections 05-31-2017 04:49 AM

As VillageTinker stated, I strongly recommend using Shark Grip mixed in the clear coat.

If you use a clear coat on the Lanai make sure it is UV protected...I have only seen ONE job in which it was. The clear coat type commonly found WILL yellow in the sun. I know they make one that does not, I do not know the brand.

My epoxy coat on my garage turned out great...I did do it myself, but I have noticed down toward the end of my garage it has yellowed a bit from sun exposure.

Personally, I would do a good 2 part epoxy coat with clearcoat on my garage and either a cool touch finish or have Go Concrete do my Lanai floor. Garage epoxy is an option on a Lanai once you KNOW the clear coat will not yellow.

Frank

geod 05-31-2017 09:05 AM

Does tim miller have a phone number ?

champion6 05-31-2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geod (Post 1405174)
Does tim miller have a phone number ?

Of course ... 352-217-0561

tejas 06-02-2017 09:36 AM

Epoxy vs stencile

Is epoxy the same as stenciled? At the Christmas open houses I saw a couple lanais that looked like they had been painted to resemble stone or tile. Someone said they had been stenciled. Is this the same process? I'm thinking of enclosing my lanai and thought this process might be cheaper than having the floor tiled.

villagetinker 06-02-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas (Post 1406015)
Is epoxy the same as stenciled? At the Christmas open houses I saw a couple lanais that looked like they had been painted to resemble stone or tile. Someone said they had been stenciled. Is this the same process? I'm thinking of enclosing my lanai and thought this process might be cheaper than having the floor tiled.

Epoxy, is similar to paint, but much tougher, and typically a single color or a single color with speckles applied. The stone/tile finishes are probably a stamped concrete, but there are many variations, so it would probably be best to ask.
My step son does tiling, and he uses a special membrane between the lanai concrete and the new tile to prevent cracks in the concrete from getting to the tile, not sure if they do this with the stamped concrete, also something to ask. The cut lines in the lanais are stress cuts, so that when the concrete cracks (and it will crack) the cracks will occur where the cuts were placed. Your flooring contractor needs to take this into account so that you do not end up with cracks in your new floor.
Hope this helps.

DangeloInspections 06-02-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas (Post 1406015)

No.....two part epoxy is usually done on garage floors. i have only seen one done in a Lanai. The clear coat can yellow if exposed to copious amounts of Sun...(except in that one case where the owner said his would not, could not verify)

Stenciled is usually just painted on with concrete paint.

A relief finish, that looks like stamped concrete is done by Go Concrete. They have a website, etc. Typically done on driveways, walks, patios and Lanais.

Tile can be considered....if you like to think out of the box, there is also plastic garage tile that hooks together and is grated, etc, for water to go through, and Ikea even sells locking together plastic and Teak wood slatted tiles that lay over the floor. Easy installation, looks great, can be removed and is wall to wall....great look.

Hope that helps....

Frank

Dan9871 06-02-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangeloInspections (Post 1406024)
if you like to think out of the box, there is also plastic garage tile that hooks together

racedeck dot com