Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Roundabout claims another (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/roundabout-claims-another-242899/)

Lottoguy 06-21-2017 09:55 AM

Roundabout claims another

My next door neighbor got hit on the roundabout just outside Glenview CC. He was headed south on Buena Vista in the left lane. The car that hit him was in the right lane and wanted to go east on El Camino. Which of course is NOT the way to do it. When the cops arrived they told the driver who was in the wrong what he had done. He was surprised by this. But, get this!! He has been living in The Villages for EIGHT YEARS!!!
So just imagine how many times they have come close to hitting somebody on the roundabouts. I'm really amazed this didn't happen years ago.
This is the number one reason why I have a dashcam in my car. Like having Dan Newlin next to me.

golfing eagles 06-21-2017 10:01 AM

Roundabout claims another

Actually, it's not the roundabout, it's THE DRIVERS!!!

justjim 06-21-2017 10:12 AM

I've heard that roundabouts are considered by "experts" to be safer than traffic signals. It's all about speed. Vehicles approach traffic signals at a much faster pace and thus when an accident occurs there are more injuries. Can you imagine all the roundabouts in TV turned into traffic signals?

Nucky 06-21-2017 10:25 AM

The majority of the Americas Funniest, Dangerous Drivers The Villages Division that I have witnessed have been in the vicinity of The Buena Vista, El Camino Roundabout. How about a car on El Camino on the wrong side of the road coming at us!!!! Beautiful Big White Benz, I swear to you the lady was putting on lipstick. Other less threatening events in that area have occurred several times.

village dreamer 06-21-2017 10:26 AM

I think ,that the roundabouts should be one lane, maybe that would help ???

manaboutown 06-21-2017 10:33 AM

I doubt the European Villagers are having any issues with the roundabouts - except for the American drivers using them who are learning to drive roundabouts as senior citizens.

Polar Bear 06-21-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by village dreamer (Post 1414624)

It would help cause unbearable delays, that's all. Unless you left the approach streets as most are...two lanes...then it would cause unbearable conflicts too.

JoMar 06-21-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by village dreamer (Post 1414624)

And the backups would be how many miles long?

Miles42 06-21-2017 11:13 AM

every one has their own opinion on driving in a round about, and they are always right. just ask them.

golfing eagles 06-21-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles42 (Post 1414659)
every one has their own opinion on driving in a round about, and they are always right. just ask them.

It's a traffic circle, you are expected to obey the traffic laws---No room for "opinion" whatsoever.

Rapscallion St Croix 06-21-2017 11:50 AM

While using left lane to got straight through is perfectly legal, I view it as an unnecessary gamble. I always expect every other person in a roundabout is going to pull a dumbass move.

Ooper 06-21-2017 11:54 AM

That round-about at the Savannah Center is probably the most consistantly wrongly used round-about in The Villages. I am surprised that there are not more accidents there. That round-about is one of the oldest round-abouts built here in TV and people have been using it since the mid 90's. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. Just always use caution especially at that round-about.

Polar Bear 06-21-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1414684)
It's a traffic circle, you are expected to obey the traffic laws---No room for "opinion" whatsoever.

Always room for opinion...as long as you obey the law. :)

johnboy 06-21-2017 12:15 PM

If you are going south on Buena Vista, you should be in the right lane and exit in the right lane onto Buena Vista. Why would anyone be in the left lane and turn in front of someone in the right lane heading toward El Camino.

Polar Bear 06-21-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboy (Post 1414699)
If you are going south on Buena Vista, you should be in the right lane and exit in the right lane onto Buena Vista. Why would anyone be in the left lane and turn in front of someone in the right lane heading toward El Camino.

If they're going south on BV and heading for El Camino, they should not be in the right lane.