Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Uber Driver (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/uber-driver-242914/)

Bosoxfan 06-21-2017 02:25 PM

Uber Driver

I'd like to take an informal poll. Do you feel that an Uber driver that only supplies his/her service inside the Villages would make money or would his/her services not be needed here?

dbussone 06-21-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 1414765)
I'd like to take an informal poll. Do you feel that an Uber driver that only supplies his/her service inside the Villages would make money or would his/her services not be needed here?

I don't think a Villages only service would make it, given the extensive use of golf carts. Even legally blind people drive golf carts here. Scary!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

spring_chicken 06-21-2017 02:32 PM

There are Uber drivers in TV, and there are customers who use them. It's not like someone who lives here would want to do that full time.

villagetinker 06-21-2017 02:54 PM

If you do a Google search you can see some of the economics involved. Double check insurance requirements, using your car for a business purpose usually cancels your personal insurance. I do recall seeing several articles some indicating yes you could make money and others that no you just break even. Also, I think UBER has minimum car requirements, 4 door, SUV and newer then 4 years old.

biker1 06-21-2017 03:05 PM

Uber provides the insurance while a driver has passengers in their car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1414779)
If you do a Google search you can see some of the economics involved. Double check insurance requirements, using your car for a business purpose usually cancels your personal insurance. I do recall seeing several articles some indicating yes you could make money and others that no you just break even. Also, I think UBER has minimum car requirements, 4 door, SUV and newer then 4 years old.

Nucky 06-21-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 1414765)

They do make money on each fare. It is a very rough business to make a good :icon_twisted: profit in. There are many variables and the biggest one is the person behind the wheel. I was a partner in a Taxi business in N.J. It is great until the repairs start coming at you and you have a hard time covering your appointments. To make a couple of extra dollars it may work here in TV'S but knowing what I know I would advise against it. Just my opinion. :popcorn: Several have tried here already I wish we could hear from them personally.

dbussone 06-21-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1414786)
Uber provides the insurance while a driver has passengers in their car.

I have a question for you. It makes sense that Uber would provide insurance. However, is the normal auto insurance policy cancelled only temporarily, each time the driver represents Uber?

biker1 06-21-2017 04:14 PM

I don't know the details. If had to guess, I would say that nothing is cancelled but the Uber insurance is "primary" while you have a passenger in the car. I believe the details have morphed with time and I also believe they vary by state.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1414801)
I have a question for you. It makes sense that Uber would provide insurance. However, is the normal auto insurance policy cancelled only temporarily, each time the driver represents Uber?

dbussone 06-21-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1414807)
I don't know the details. If had to guess, I would say that nothing is cancelled but the Uber insurance is "primary" while you have a passenger in the car. I believe the details have morphed with time and I also believe they vary by state.

Thank you.

Allegiance 06-21-2017 05:22 PM

I was told if an uber driver rejects requests ( from outside the villages) it may be held against their uber record.

pauld315 06-22-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allegiance (Post 1414832)
I was told if an uber driver rejects requests ( from outside the villages) it may be held against their uber record.

From my understanding that is not the way it works. Requests come in and the driver chooses which ones they want to accept. At any time a driver can either be working or not working, it is totally up to him or her.

Lottoguy 06-22-2017 04:28 PM

I live in The Villages and about a month ago I applied for and was granted a Uber account. You had to show them your drivers license, proof of insurance and registration. In some parts of the country you have to get your car inspected (Uber pays) for safety. Here in Florida that is not needed. When you activate your app that your car is available to drive somebody a PING will go off. That means you are the closest available driver to that persons location. You are supposed to accept that request if you click on that PING notice. You have 10 seconds to do so. You DO NOT know their location for pickup. If you do not acknowledge that PING in 10 seconds it will go to the next closest Uber driver.
So far this is NOT working out for me here in The Villages. First of all my cellphone does not have unlimited data. Second, I hardly get any PINGS. When I do get one by the time I enter my pin # the request has already passed on. Second, I have heard you could drive five or 10 miles to pickup somebody. Then when you get there they only want to go a mile or two. Not much money to be made in that situation. In The Villages, people have their golf carts and next door neighbors to help them get around. It is not a good option for use here. Later.

dbussone 06-22-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lottoguy (Post 1415254)
I live in The Villages and about a month ago I applied for and was granted a Uber account. You had to show them your drivers license, proof of insurance and registration. In some parts of the country you have to get your car inspected (Uber pays) for safety. Here in Florida that is not needed. When you activate your app that your car is available to drive somebody a PING will go off. That means you are the closest available driver to that persons location. You are supposed to accept that request if you click on that PING notice. You have 10 seconds to do so. You DO NOT know their location for pickup. If you do not acknowledge that PING in 10 seconds it will go to the next closest Uber driver.
So far this is NOT working out for me here in The Villages. First of all my cellphone does not have unlimited data. Second, I hardly get any PINGS. When I do get one by the time I enter my pin # the request has already passed on. Second, I have heard you could drive five or 10 miles to pickup somebody. Then when you get there they only want to go a mile or two. Not much money to be made in that situation. In The Villages, people have their golf carts and next door neighbors to help them get around. It is not a good option for use here. Later.

Thanks for providing much more background. You final comment is consistent with my opinion stated earlier in this thread.

pauld315 06-22-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lottoguy (Post 1415254)

It is probably a good option to use as long as there are enough drivers, just not a good thing to do if you want to make money

Lottoguy 06-22-2017 11:28 PM

UBER will not put much money in your pocket here in The Villages. It would work in a large city like Chicago or NYC. In those large cities you can also make extra during SURGE TIMES. It is something UBER came up with when the law of supply and demand kicks in. I most likely will lose my account for lack of activity.