Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   What is your favorite salad dressing? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/what-your-favorite-salad-dressing-242949/)

graciegirl 06-22-2017 02:27 PM

What is your favorite salad dressing?

At our house we like Marzetti's Poppy Seed. AND Marzettis' Supreme Caesar. Both refrigerated, but the Poppy Seed is rarely sold here anywhere.

I almost always add cran-raisins, grated cheddar, diced onion, fresh tomato and grapes to our mixed lettuce salad.

My crew doesn't like cucumber.

What do you like in and on your salad?

SALYBOW 06-22-2017 02:57 PM

I use Ken's Vidalia Onion Dressing the most. I like Greek dressing as well. I love cukes, tomatoes, celery, carrots, garlic, grated cheese, boiled egg, ham, roast beef and turkey. (I have to have protein.)
When I go to Olive Garden I usually bring home a bottle of their salad dressing.

jnieman 06-22-2017 03:02 PM

I know I'm wierd but I don't buy bottled salad dressing. I make all my own. My very favorite is my own asian honey mustard. It consists of Hellman's mayo, honey, yellow mustard, toasted sesame oil. If you've ever had the oriental grilled chicken salad at Applebee's this is a very similar dressing. Once you start making your own you will never be satisfied again. I do like the ranch dressing at both Longhorn and Mallory and have found out they make their own.

Rapscallion St Croix 06-22-2017 03:04 PM

I like most. I cannot stand Green Goddess.

missypie 06-22-2017 03:37 PM

Always make my own. Olive oil, different vinegars, mustards, garlic, and other ingred.

Also like to make my own ranch with buttermilk and of course garlic.

jnieman 06-22-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missypie (Post 1415230)
Always make my own. Olive oil, different vinegars, mustards, garlic, and other ingred.

Me too Missypie. I am so spoiled with my own that I hardly will eat a salad at a restaurant anymore.

graciegirl 06-22-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missypie (Post 1415230)

Sugar? When we were kids and had the typical German salad dressing made of oil, vinegar, onion, salt, pepper and SUGAR we kids would fight to drink the last of it from the salad bowl.

Carl in Tampa 06-22-2017 04:12 PM

Varied taste

1 Attachment(s)
Like SALYBOW, I really like Ken's Vidalia Onion Dressing.

And, I love Olive Garden's, but it is much too salty for my diet.

I usually pour my own, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar. Sometimes, perhaps some balsamic vinegar. This is, for me, the healthiest addition to my diet.

I usually go minimalist on the salad, just some shredded iceberg lettuce and sliced tomatoes, but sometimes I add ham, cheese, croutons, and (soy) bacon bits. A few olives sprinkled around give it that "Mediterranean" healthy tone.

Other times, I add cubed grilled chicken breasts, prepared on my gas grille.

When eating out, I have come to love the Cracker Barrel Fried Chicken Salad with Country Pepper Vinaigrette Dressing.

------------------------

Stand by, Gracie, for an attack for initiating another "frivolous" thread.
:sigh:

CFrance 06-22-2017 04:29 PM

Make my own Ranch using buttermilk, and my own vinaigrettes. Oh, and real Caesar, with coddled egg and worcestershire sauce, etc.

laryb 06-22-2017 04:51 PM

Aldi's Specially Select House Vinegrette is our favorite bottled dressing. Has 3 or 4 whole garlic cloves on the bottom of the bottle

lanabanana73 06-22-2017 05:04 PM

I make a Maple Vinaigrette with a recipe I got from my "maple farmer" friend. 4 Tbsp Olive Oil, 6 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar, 2 Tbsp pure Maple Syrup and 1 clove of garlic, minced.

dbussone 06-22-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanabanana73 (Post 1415289)
I make a Maple Vinaigrette with a recipe I got from my "maple farmer" friend. 4 Tbsp Olive Oil, 6 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar, 2 Tbsp pure Maple Syrup and 1 clove of garlic, minced.

Wow. I would have never thought of adding maple syrup. I bet it's fabulous, but I doubt I'd be allowed to partake.

I make my own Caesar salad dressing from scratch, and always use either anchovies or anchovy paste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

kcrazorbackfan 06-22-2017 05:46 PM

The Wildfire dressing that Bob Evans restaurant has; that stuff is goooooooood!

missypie 06-22-2017 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1415234)
Sugar? When we were kids and had the typical German salad dressing made of oil, vinegar, onion, salt, pepper and SUGAR we kids would fight to drink the last of it from the salad bowl.

I know that recipe well. It is surely yummy.

jnieman 06-22-2017 07:53 PM

I always put sugar or honey in my vinegarettes