Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   brave, foolish, or idiotic? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/brave-foolish-idiotic-243163/)

golfing eagles 06-26-2017 05:37 PM

brave, foolish, or idiotic?

As I'm typing this, I'm sitting on my lanai on #8 Egret looking east. There are ground strikes of lightening at a frequency of about 10/minute, and based on the timing of the thunder that follows, these strikes are 800-1100 yards away from me. At the same time, 300 yards in the same direction, a foursome is leisurely playing the 6th hole. Do they realize that lightening is striking the ground 5-600 yards away from them???. If they were on the 1st tee of Egret and lightening hit the 1st green, would they tee off??? Or are they entered in this weeks crispy critter contest???

I don't mean to make light of the danger to them, I was hit by lightening on a golf course 40 years ago. I just think this is a situation in which nature deserves some respect.

Rapscallion St Croix 06-26-2017 05:46 PM

I would eliminate "brave" as it connotes the ability to overcome fear. Now, ignorance would explain the lack of fear in your scenario, but it seems unlikely that an adult golfer would be unaware of the dangers of lightning. Therefore, I conclude that "idiotic" is a perfect fit.

Goldwingnut 06-26-2017 05:48 PM

We had an expression in the Navy for a situation such as this:
The stupid shall be punished.

Sit it out at the 19th hole and enjoy Mother Nature's show.

villagetinker 06-26-2017 05:55 PM

I will drink to that!

NotGolfer 06-26-2017 06:06 PM

It happens ALL the time here! I think folks just have that "it can't happen to me" mentality! Stupid is as stupid does!

dbussone 06-26-2017 06:14 PM

I had an uncle who was one of Patton's battalion tank commanders from N. Africa to the Battle of the Bulge. He was the toughest guy I knew. He was also a club golf pro in Maine. When idiots stayed out on the course during lightning, he frequently referred to them as "crispy foursomes."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

57ChevyFI 06-26-2017 07:17 PM

But did they die? Seems they would have died if the lightning struck 5 yards from them. These people seem to be not of this earth because when the lightning struck 5 feet from them that kills a normal person.

kcrazorbackfan 06-26-2017 07:40 PM

Just remember this, no one is required to have their IQ assessed before their move to The Villages. Since they were on the 6th hole, they couldn't get a rain check (not issued after the 4th hole), so they chose money over sense.

dbussone 06-26-2017 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1417254)
Just remember this, no one is required to have their IQ assessed before their move to The Villages. Since they were on the 6th hole, they couldn't get a rain check (not issued after the 4th hole), so they chose money over sense.

Or they believed they are so privileged that God, Himself, would've protected them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trayderjoe 06-26-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1417270)
Or they believed they are so privileged that God, Himself, would've protected them.

Either they thought "the bubble" would protect them, or they think that a Darwin Award is something to be proud of......

dbussone 06-26-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trayderjoe (Post 1417275)
Either they thought "the bubble" would protect them, or they think that a Darwin Award is something to be proud of......

Ah! The gene pool has a way of taking care of itself, doesn't it?

Nucky 06-26-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 1417288)
Ah! The gene pool has a way of taking care of itself, doesn't it?

Maybe they had a $Hundred$ a hole riding on continued play. Just Sayin'.

dbussone 06-26-2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1417292)
Maybe they had a $Hundred$ a hole riding on continued play. Just Sayin'.

Only GE can afford those bets, and he was smart enough to be inside when those of dubious intelligence were on the course.

blueeagle65 06-26-2017 09:04 PM

Darwin Award contestants.

joldnol 06-27-2017 08:09 AM

My group think I'M a coward. If lightning is anywhere near I get the heck outta Dodge.