Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Television (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/)
-   -   Anyone out there hooked on the show 'Shameless'? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/anyone-out-there-hooked-show-shameless-243714/)

Lbmb24101 07-08-2017 10:50 PM

Anyone out there hooked on the show 'Shameless'?

It airs originally in Showtime but I am watching it on Netflix
This is the American version, according to the web, there is a British version, the original version.
So out of character for me to like Shameless...there is sex, language, violence, etc
But I do not watch Shameless for any of that.
Instead, I watch for the incredible plots, story lines, character development, the acting is great ( William Macy, Emma Rossum, Joan Cusack) The plots are so unique!
My twenty something hair stylist mentioned the show to me.
Otherwise, I would have never known about it.

doran 07-09-2017 05:08 AM

It is amusing, most of the actors are good at portraying white trash. Entertaining for an hour. I admit to watching it.

Debfrommaine 07-09-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doran (Post 1422233)
It is amusing, most of the actors are good at portraying white trash. Entertaining for an hour. I admit to watching it.

Me too!

Jaggy 07-09-2017 06:55 AM

Very entertaining show.. I am jealous.. you get to watch it starting new.. I have to wait for the new season !!! Need a good show to binge watch this summer.. still looking.. i finished House of Cards, etc.. now I have to make do with American Pickers and Storage Wars, etc .. until I find something better on Netflix.

Boomer 07-09-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 (Post 1422206)
It airs originally in Showtime but I am watching it on Netflix
This is the American version, according to the web, there is a British version, the original version.
So out of character for me to like Shameless...there is sex, language, violence, etc
But I do not watch Shameless for any of that.
Instead, I watch for the incredible plots, story lines, character development, the acting is great ( William Macy, Emma Rossum, Joan Cusack) The plots are so unique!
My twenty something hair stylist mentioned the show to me.
Otherwise, I would have never known about it.

You got me! I am going to check this one out, even though I also tend to avoid things violent. But, hey, character development and story lines and William Macy! Sounds bingeworthy. We will try "Shameless" soon. Thanks.

Ecuadog 07-09-2017 11:36 AM

I'll watch anything with William H. Macy in it. He can make you forget that you're watching an actor. You believe that he is the character. Remember Fargo? In Shameless, he is a character most vile, with great lines as well. And there are no slouches in the rest of the ensemble.

That said, I find it difficult to "binge" on Shameless because I find myself disliking the unsavory side of many of the characters. It's probably a tribute the cast members' acting abilities.

But watch it, I do, just in small doses.

Lbmb24101 07-09-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1422329)
You got me! I am going to check this one out, even though I also tend to avoid things violent. But, hey, character development and story lines and William Macy! Sounds bingeworthy. We will try "Shameless" soon. Thanks.

Looking forward to your take on the show.
I am almost ashamed to admit to some of my friends that I watch it, but it is fast paced, entertainning, and in my opinion, good character developments.
Macy is amazing in it too!

Lbmb24101 07-09-2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecuadog (Post 1422346)
I'll watch anything with William H. Macy in it. He can make you forget that you're watching an actor. You believe that he is the character. Remember Fargo? In Shameless, he is a character most vile, with great lines as well. And there are no slouches in the rest of the ensemble.

That said, I find it difficult to "binge" on Shameless because I find myself disliking the unsavory side of many of the characters. It's probably a tribute the cast members' acting abilities.

Same here
I watch one episode per night.
I am starting season 6 tomorrow.
Same thing w Breaking Bad, I could only watch one per night, too violent, but grrreat show.

Boomer 07-10-2017 12:11 PM

Well.......it's sure not "Father Knows Best" but, so far, I think it is definitely bingeworthy.

I am way too embarrassed to tell you how many episodes we watched last night.

I have to say I really like the kids. Hooligans though they may be (sometimes), you have to admit they are creative problem-solvers. I root for them. They are survivors......I hope. We have a long way to go, not yet to Season 2, but soon.

William Macy plays that slimeball, worthless, scummy, rancid creep of a father so well that you can almost smell him through the television screen. (shudder) And whoever is writing those outraged, ignorant rants he spouts has nailed it.

Thanks for the recommendation......I think. :)

Taltarzac725 07-10-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

I tried it but disliked the characters so much that I could not get into it. As to William H. Macy-- loved him in the Fargo movie. I often wonder if some of these character actors start behaving like the people they portray would. Heard some stories from Jennifer V., who was/is the daughter of a theater actress. She would sometimes go on the road with her mother.

Polar Bear 07-10-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1422712)
I tried it but disliked the characters so much that I could not get into it...

Pretty much the same here.

l2ridehd 07-11-2017 05:42 AM

There are lots of great Netflix shows available. Loved Longmire, The Ranch is really funny, Bloodline is also a great story, Breaking Bad is OK, but violent, I will give Shameless a try as I do like William Macy as an actor.

Boomer 07-14-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 (Post 1422555)
Same here
I watch one episode per night.
I am starting season 6 tomorrow.
Same thing w Breaking Bad, I could only watch one per night, too violent, but grrreat show.

Update:

Slow week for us. Been doing some shameless binge watching.

Lbmb24101 and Ecuadog, I now know exactly what you are talking about. I continue to root for those kids, and will keep watching and hoping things will turn out OK. But I, too, will have to watch in small doses.

Frank is vile, not even a drop of decency in him. All the other parents are vile, too. It does get hard to watch. I can't help but think of all the real kids who are born into and have to live in terrible circumstances. (Anybody who has spent a long career in secondary ed probably knows a version of Lip.)

The other thing is that even though I think the acting is outstanding and the writers are really good with character development and dialogue, I wish they would not reach so readily for the raunch. That gets old. Starts to feel like the writers are pandering to what they think people want to see. They could fade those scenes. I remember now why I don't subscribe to "Showtime." I know I am a bit of a prude, but............

Anyway, still watching but small doses it will be. We are in Season 3. But the rest is going to take a while. And I am trying real hard not to try to find out where things are going for those kids by reading the episode summaries found online.

Chi-Town 07-14-2017 04:55 PM

I grew up in the north side of Chicago and was unfamiliar with the Canaryville neighborhood where Shameless is suppose to take place. Only knew that it was a working class and. a largely Irish neighborhood. I am now through episode 7 of season one and am enjoying the story and acting. On my next visit to Chicago Canaryville will be a destination. Definitely a drink in a local bar will be in order.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

big guy 07-14-2017 04:58 PM

Shameless

I have been watching the British version on Amizon-Fire. Have not watched the U.S. version but will. Agree with what most say but characters are more likeable and funny in a British way. Sometime the accent gets in the way.