Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Water Filtration/Treatment Systems (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/water-filtration-treatment-systems-311/)
-   -   Nova Filter - Need for bleach? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/water-filtration-treatment-systems-311/nova-filter-need-bleach-243835/)

villages07 07-11-2017 08:52 AM

Nova Filter - Need for bleach?

Bob/Brad...

We have had our system for over two years and are very pleased with it. A friend had a recent install where you advised them to put bleach tablets in the tank to keep the slime down in the toilet. Can you elaborate on that please?

Thanks

mulligan 07-12-2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villages07 (Post 1423031)
Bob/Brad...

We have had our system for over two years and are very pleased with it. A friend had a recent install where you advised them to put bleach tablets in the tank to keep the slime down in the toilet. Can you elaborate on that please?

Thanks

NEVER put bleach in the toilet tank. It will destroy the flush valve.

NotGolfer 07-12-2017 02:29 PM

We used to put those "blue pill" things in the tank to disinfect etc. A plumber told us that they would destroy the "workings" in it and never to use them.

Bay Kid 07-13-2017 05:57 AM

With the NOVA system my tank stays clean. Really like the NOVA system.

dewilson58 07-13-2017 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1423407)
NEVER put bleach in the toilet tank. It will destroy the flush valve.

Not sure I can go all the way and say "it will destroy". It might shorten the life, but it takes a long time.

I prefer sparkling clean toilets, so I don't mind replacing some parts once in a while. (don't get me going on the need for organized closets)

Nova Filtration 07-19-2017 09:09 AM

Ok let's set the record straight, if you had no filter removing the chlorine that would mean all those toilets would be falling apart, due to the fact the water has a high level to begin with.

The Nova filter is so efficient it removes all the chlorine that is correct.

Without any chlorine in the tank bacteria & fugi may develop.

So we recommend adding a 2000 flush tab in each tank.

I live here 4 1/2 years no issue with gaskets or parts in the toilet tank.

I have hundreds of customers using the 2000 flushes tabs no reports of any issues.

If there was Kohler will send you new set for free.

Play it safe pop the tabs in.

.PS: chloramine may have an effect on gaskets which is where these myths originate,
our drinking water is not disinfected with chloramine

pooh 07-19-2017 10:25 AM

I agree with Bob....we've had our Nova system for years, love it, but also put bleach tabs in the toilet water tank. It might shorten the life of the flapper, etc, but they are inexpensive and easily replaced.

photo1902 07-19-2017 11:11 AM

Kohler's toilet warranty specifically states "Use of in-tank toilet cleaners will void the warranty."

Nova Filtration 07-20-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1425857)
Kohler's toilet warranty specifically states "Use of in-tank toilet cleaners will void the warranty."

That pertains to only the first year of warranty

So it's really irrelevant.

photo1902 07-20-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova Filtration (Post 1426190)
They only have a one year warranty anyway.

So it's really irrelevant.:shrug:

As a business owner, I would never advise a customer to do something specifically against the recommendation of the manufacturer. Bleach and the blue goo products are destructive to seals and tank bolts. There's a reason manufacturers and plumbers say bleach tabs and blue products are a no-no. Yes, you're right, voiding a one year warranty might not be the end of the world, but a tank leak down the road could be very costly.

Wiotte 07-20-2017 12:30 PM

Bleach should never be used as a "maintenance" agent. Very corrosive to metals and unhealthy to breathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmj1210 07-20-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova Filtration (Post 1425823)
Ok let's set the record straight, if you had no filter removing the chlorine that would mean all those toilets would be falling apart, due to the fact the water has a high level to begin with.

The Nova filter is so efficient it removes all the chlorine that is correct.

Without any chlorine in the tank bacteria & fugi may develop.

So we recommend adding a 2000 flush tab in each tank.

I live here 4 1/2 years no issue with gaskets or parts in the toilet tank.

I have hundreds of customers using the 2000 flushes tabs no reports of any issues.

If there was Kohler will send you new set for free.

Play it safe pop the tabs in.

.PS: chloramine may have an effect on gaskets which is where these myths originate,
our drinking water is not disinfected with chloramine

I used to put those tablets in my tank & within a year there was major corrosion & many things needed to be replaced. In the 3 yrs I have been living here I have not found an issue with any gunk or buildup in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kahuna32162 07-21-2017 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiotte (Post 1426402)
BAD ADVICE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a Nova Filtration system installed? It is far and away the BEST system I have ever used and if Bob and Brad suggest using a 2000 Flush tablet (available at Publix), I am inclined to follow the advice of the experts. I am also confident that if the kind of horrific damage happens, they would work to make it right.