Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pickleball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/)
-   -   Non-Villages resident looking to play pickleball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/non-villages-resident-looking-play-pickleball-243923/)

yaboicolbs 07-13-2017 11:27 AM

Non-Villages resident looking to play pickleball

Howdy everyone,

I am a fairly serious pickleball player, and have nowhere to play where I live. As a non-Villages resident, is there a way I can play? I live in the Tri-County area so guest passes aren't an option, correct? I am not a senior citizen. I need to be able to practice in a semi-competitive atmosphere in preparation for upcoming tournaments. I also need to get a tournament rating, however I'm worried that the monthly Lake Miona clinic is for Villages residents only. I imagine I am around a 4.0, however I am pretty young so I'd like to see how I stack up against some of the 5.0 players that live in The Villages.

Bogie Shooter 07-13-2017 12:12 PM

The Villages - Search for New, Pre-owned Homes and Villas in The Villages, Florida

n8xwb 07-13-2017 01:01 PM

You may not use any of the facilities here. As you noted, you are not eligible for or a guest pass. Only other option is to buy a home and become a Villager!!!

village dreamer 07-13-2017 01:14 PM

we pay monthly fees for up keep of our pickleball courts.

Jayhawk 07-13-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaboicolbs (Post 1423825)
Howdy everyone,

I am a fairly serious pickleball player, and have nowhere to play where I live. As a non-Villages resident, is there a way I can play? I live in the Tri-County area so guest passes aren't an option, correct? I am not a senior citizen. I need to be able to practice in a semi-competitive atmosphere in preparation for upcoming tournaments. I also need to get a tournament rating, however I'm worried that the monthly Lake Miona clinic is for Villages residents only. I imagine I am around a 4.0, however I am pretty young so I'd like to see how I stack up against some of the 5.0 players that live in The Villages.

Here's a place in Leesburg.

Welcome

ureout 07-13-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Howdy everyone,

to truly test your abilities you need to be playing people in your own age group... if you are a 4.0 and pretty young, you should easily beat a 4.5 level player that is 30 to 40years older than you...

Topspinmo 07-13-2017 05:56 PM

If you get to know some of the elite players and attend their pay clinic's or private lessons you can sneak on to courts at certain rec centers, on the occasion rec center employees come out checking ids and you are not on the court you will be ask to leave with no resident ID card. Some of the elite player even give lessons during open play times. IMO private lessons on Rec center courts should only be allowed if the rec center get cut of the pie and are at times when no courts are being untilized by residents, which means they have low priority. Volunteer free clinics are different and scheduled through the rec center. I have observed this playing at Rec centers. :faint:

rustyp 07-13-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1423942)
If you get to know some of the elite players and attend their pay clinic's or private lessons you can sneak on to courts at certain rec centers, on the occasion rec center employees come out checking ids and you are not on the court you will be ask to leave with no resident ID card. Some of the elite player even give lessons during open play times. IMO private lessons on Rec center courts should only be allowed if the rec center get cut of the pie and are at times when no courts are being untilized by residents, which means they have low priority. Volunteer free clinics are different and scheduled through the rec center. I have observed this playing at Rec centers. :faint:

This is the worst advice I have ever seen given here and I've seen plenty. Go ahead rob the bank it's OK until you get caught.

dbussone 07-13-2017 06:23 PM

There are a couple of church's (outside of TV) that have indoor courts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

fred53 07-13-2017 07:49 PM

I agree...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1423949)
This is the worst advice I have ever seen given here and I've seen plenty. Go ahead rob the bank it's OK until you get caught.

there's always someone around to tell you to bend/break the rules. Probably why there are so many complaints about people breaking the rules.

chuckinca 07-13-2017 07:53 PM

IMHO:

The Villages MSA, aka Sumter County, needs to install a lighted 8 court or more pickleball facility outside the Villages so that the many Villages advanced pickleball players and non-villages advanced pickleball players can have a place to play against each other. It can also be used by other pickleballers from the tri-county area for established leagues similar to softball (outsider the Villages) when not used by the advanced players.

Also, it could be used for large multi state pickleball tournaments and national pickleball championships using needed additional courts obtained from local communities willing to participate other than the Villages.

CFrance 07-13-2017 08:24 PM

Our pickleball courts are crowded enough in the winter. I would not like to give my spot up to a non Villager who doesn't pay amenity fees. Why did I move here... I moved here willing to pay money to have private access to facilities not open to the general public.

IMO, non villagers who are not eligible to be guests should lobby their own communities to establish their own pickleball courts and leagues.

dbussone 07-13-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1423990)
Our pickleball courts are crowded enough in the winter. I would not like to give my spot up to a non Villager who doesn't pay amenity fees. Why did I move here... I moved here willing to pay money to have private access to facilities not open to the general public.

IMO, non villagers who are not eligible to be guests should lobby their own communities to establish their own pickleball courts and leagues.

Amen to that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

manaboutown 07-13-2017 08:56 PM

They are private property. duh!

villagetinker 07-13-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Howdy everyone,

Please play by the rules, you cannot play here, as you do not own a home, and you live too close for a guest pass. So your options are buy a house here, or convince the area where you live to put in suitable courts, then you can invite players to your court. I do not agree with any suggestions to 'slip in' to play, and if you think about it as soon as people realize you are so good, it will come out you do not live here.......