Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Florida's Latest Large Sinkhole (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/floridas-latest-large-sinkhole-244045/)

JourneyOfLife 07-16-2017 10:36 AM

Florida's Latest Large Sinkhole

I am not going to try to describe it. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Authorities continue to monitor giant Florida sinkhole - YouTube

kcrazorbackfan 07-16-2017 04:21 PM

There but for the grace of God is The Villages. The Tampa area seems to have a lot of them, as do we.

OpusX1 07-16-2017 05:25 PM

I think that would be considered a catastrophic ground collapse so it would be covered by normal property insurance.

rubicon 07-17-2017 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpusX1 (Post 1424892)
I think that would be considered a catastrophic ground collapse so it would be covered by normal property insurance.

I would seriously question any insurance company that attempted to deny coverage for this loss.

As a sidebar the Tampa area was the impetuous for the the flurry of insurance changes on sink holes. According to reports the people in that area were filing untold number of sink hole claims that amounted to be the usual cracks found in concrete slabs. You probably have some in your home. Some of the Tampa residents filed their claims were paid and never effected repairs

so insurers in Florida re-wrote the sink hole c overages and based on your premium you accepted sink hole coverage or catastrophic sink hole coverage. the aforementioned loss fits the catastrophic definition

BK001 07-17-2017 10:35 AM

We just renewed our homeowner's insurance. We decided to switch to Allstate, who now offers sink hole insurance.

Boomer 07-17-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1425135)
We just renewed our homeowner's insurance. We decided to switch to Allstate, who now offers sink hole insurance.

I am pretty sure The Villages Insurance now offers it, too.

There was a period of time when those who bought after a certain date could get only catastrophic ground collapse coverage. But I think the Florida insurance industry figured out they had thrown out the baby with the bath water by not writing the other kind of sinkhole coverage. Considering the odds, I guess they decided to get back in the business.

rjm1cc 07-17-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK001 (Post 1425135)

I think you can say their are two types of sink hole insurance in FL. The sink hole we are discussing is probably covered by everyone's home owners policy. The other policy covers "minor" damage and has high deductibles.