Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Washer and dryer recommendation (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/washer-dryer-recommendation-244270/)

Beatit 07-21-2017 07:18 PM

Washer and dryer recommendation

Ok...LG or Samsung?

Thanks

village dreamer 07-21-2017 07:29 PM

don't get all the bells and whistles

Uberschaf 07-21-2017 08:01 PM

Ours plays a tune when the countdown timer is done but can't figure how to download new tunes. It's also nice to see the clothes getting clean in real time through the window on top of the machine, it's nice to get away from the computer every once in awhile.

sallybowron 07-21-2017 08:51 PM

Dryer

I got a dryer with steam and I love it.

birdiebill 07-22-2017 05:46 AM

Speed Queen

John_W 07-22-2017 10:16 AM

We replaced our six year old original W/D in April. I spent a day reading reviews from Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot and Amazon. At the end I concluded that front loaders had problems, mostly with mold build up and with water leakage. I then concentrated on top loaders and one of my wife's biggest complaints with our old Whirlpool was the agitator tearing up or wearing out clothes. I found the major brands now feature HE models 'High Efficienty' which come without an agitator.

After more and more reading of reviews I determined that LG and Samsung didn't make good front loaders, or any better than others, but when it came to top loading HE models, LG was the best. LG had high reviewer's ratings on every website and the least amount of problems. I then tried to find what I wanted at Lowes since they had the 10% veteran discount. As it turned out, they had the model washer I wanted but not the matching dryer, I would of had to get a lower price LG dryer and I wanted the model with the glass door that matched. I then focused on Best Buy and Home Depot and Best Buy had the washer and it's price was equal to the Lowe's price had I gotten the veteran discount. They also had the matching glass door dryer.

The LG washer was $899 at Lowes and Best Buy had it for $819, I then went to the Lady Lake Best Buy and was able to get them to negotiate the washer down to $720, and dryer was $719 and was able to get it for $650 plus we got them to delete the $30 take-away fee of the old washer and dryer and got a $100 store credit card and of course free delivery 3 days later. We've now had the set about 3 months and my wife loves them and we got a fantastic deal, so much so I went back last month and got a Samsung 75" 4K TV at a great price. I noticed the washer price has gone up to the same price as Lowes, the dryer is still at it's original price, and as I mentioned BB is willing to negotiate on their prices.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-5-2-c...?skuId=5195801

https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/...0;maxWidth=642

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-7-3-c...?skuId=5712148

https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/...0;maxWidth=642

Beatit 07-22-2017 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info. Have to measure the cabinets above to see if the door clears them.

Nucky 07-22-2017 12:01 PM

I would recommend joining Consumer Report Online and do some studying before you purchase, it costs $7 dollars to join for a month. We bought a Samsung Front Loading Washer and Dryer and are happy with them so far at about the one year mark. They are quiet and with the pedestals easy to load and unload. Zero interest for 2 years. Go onto YouTube and put in Washer Or Dryer Fires/Problems it's very educational. Welcome to The Villages.

HoosierPa 07-22-2017 08:02 PM

Bought my last 3 sets on Craigslist and Facebook for about $200/set. Current front load set is LG with steam and only 2 years old. ( Bought it from a lady in a $1.5 million house who wanted a new color) The set looks and works like new. I know many people would not take the risk but I have and happy I did. Hope to use this set another 8-10 years. If it craps out tomorrow, no big deal !

gemscatTV 08-28-2017 09:11 PM

Speed Queen. Ken & Kerrie's in Fruitland Park. Be sure to ask for a Buzzer on your Dryer. Speed Queen makes dryers without buzzers as we inadvertently found out. Happy with Speed Queen otherwise.

Mrs. Robinson 08-29-2017 01:24 AM

I was always a Whirlpool top load washer and matching dryer person for practically all my life.
After reading Consumer Reports I acquiesced and we purchased a Whirlpool front load & dryer.
Consumer Reports is correct; front load washers do a better job of washing/cleaning clothes.
Just recently we recently bought a new washer/dryer set. We got an LG -- again, recommended by Consumer Reports.
(I swear by anything Consumer Reports recommends.)
I found it hard to believe, but it does a better job of getting our clothes clean than our Whirlpool!

There is no reason to have a mold problem with a front load washer.
Keep the door ajar until the washer is dry. It's that simple!
I will always recommend a dryer with steam. It is a godsend in many cases for taking out wrinkles.
In addition, I have never had a leakage problem with either of the front loaders.

Happy shopping and let us know what you end up with!

fw102807 08-29-2017 06:28 AM

Just got rid of my 4 yr old Whirlpool because the lid wias completely rusted and the performance was marginal. I Googled extensively and found that this was a common problem with all of the major brands. I also read that some of the glass tops had been known to shatter. I decided on Speed Queen. They are the largest manufacturers of Commercial washers and are built to last. They are nothing fancy but they do the job. Go mine aat DeSantis and was very happy with them also.

tuccillo 08-29-2017 06:59 AM

We have had a Kenmore Elite front-load washer and dryer for 13 years. Never a problem. I was initially surprised at how little water the front loaders use. You do need to keep the door of the washer open a bit after use to let the rubber seal dry but that is pretty much true of all front-loaders. It is not really an issue - just something you always do - having it open a few inches is all that is needed.

I believe they were actually made by Whirlpool. There are not that many actual manufacturers anymore - lots of brand names made by the same company. For front loaders, pedestals are a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatit (Post 1426717)
Ok...LG or Samsung?

Thanks

graciegirl 08-29-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuccillo (Post 1441040)
We have had a Kenmore Elite front-load washer and dryer for 13 years. Never a problem. You do need to keep the door of the washer open a bit after use to let the rubber seal dry but that is pretty much true of all front-loaders. I believe they were actually made by Whirlpool. There are not that many actual manufacturers anymore - lots of brand names made by the same company. For front loaders, pedestals are a good idea.

Wish they had pedestals for dishwashers sometimes when the back is talking back.

tuccillo 08-29-2017 07:03 AM

I hear you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1441043)
Wish they had pedestals for dishwashers sometimes when the back is talking back.