Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   55 and under getting in trouble (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/55-under-getting-trouble-244622/)

BlackSheep 07-29-2017 09:12 PM

55 and under getting in trouble

Hi all, we were buying a house here and we have been hearing lots of bad things about people under 55 living there and being nothing but trouble, is this true and I thought TV were for only 55 and over??

dbussone 07-29-2017 09:17 PM

It's less of an issue here than in most communities our size and larger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jake_ 07-29-2017 09:19 PM

20% of the population has to be allowed to be under 55. The amount of trouble being caused by those who are under 55 are seemingly blown out of proportion. 55 and older crowd get arrested for dui drugs and theft just as often. With a population somewhere near 160k problems are bound to happen.

Dont worry about what you hear,come experience the villages for yourself and I think youll like it. =]

24 year old villager

Toymeister 07-29-2017 09:28 PM

From what I have read 8% of T V is under 55. Bad news travels fast as well as news people want to hear. No one wants to hear residents over 55 cause any problems.

Polar Bear 07-29-2017 09:32 PM

Almost all oif the trouble here (which isn't that much) is caused by the 55+ crowd. :)

dbussone 07-29-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackSheep (Post 1429969)
Hi all, we were buying a house here and we have been hearing lots of bad things about people under 55 living there and being nothing but trouble, is this true and I thought TV were for only 55 and over??

Over 55 communities do not require that all residents be over 55. If I am correct, the Feds only require that 80% be over 55. If I am wrong I will be corrected relatively quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Carl in Tampa 07-29-2017 09:44 PM

Perspective

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackSheep (Post 1429969)

I'd be willing to bet that the under 55 (maximum 20 % of the
population) crowd in The Villages is a lot less trouble than the age 15 - 19 crowd in Tampa (15 % of the population) where I spend most of my time now.

I loved The Villages when I lived there full time. Only my physical condition keeps me in Tampa.

When I lived there I seldom encountered "under 55" people other than when I went to the Town Squares in the evening to enjoy the free entertainment. At such times there were a lot of them hanging out in the bars, and visiting from the surrounding areas outside The Villages. Even then, I didn't have problems with them. A lot of the "problems" seem to be occurring long after I've gone home.

BlackSheep 07-29-2017 09:55 PM

Thank you all! and thanks to the 24 year old villager! lol

Rapscallion St Croix 07-29-2017 10:33 PM

The math is actually that 80% of the households must have one resident 55 or older. If The Villages were to fall outside that parameter it would lose its status as an age restricted community .

Taltarzac725 07-30-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa (Post 1429987)
I'd be willing to bet that the under 55 (maximum 20 % of the
population) crowd in The Villages is a lot less trouble than the age 15 - 19 crowd in Tampa (15 % of the population) where I spend most of my time now.

I loved The Villages when I lived there full time. Only my physical condition keeps me in Tampa.

When I lived there I seldom encountered "under 55" people other than when I went to the Town Squares in the evening to enjoy the free entertainment. At such times there were a lot of them hanging out in the bars, and visiting from the surrounding areas outside The Villages. Even then, I didn't have problems with them. A lot of the "problems" seem to be occurring long after I've gone home.

Thanks for pitching in Carl from Tampa. Always nice to hear your input.

I have met a lot of under 55 year olds over the last 12 years living here in the Villages. These live here in the Villages with their parents, boyfriends or girlfriends, etc. Only a tiny number of these had legal problems of any kind and these were usually alcohol abuse related if they did. AA groups are quite active in the Villages area helping people as are associations which help people dealing with alcoholic addiction.

fred53 07-30-2017 07:17 AM

And we heard that STD's were rampant here before we moved. The fact is that the folks who are respectful, considerate and great neighbors don't make the news. So if you have a population of over 100k there are bound to be bad apples. The good ones far outweigh the bad ones. Since we are a 55+ community any turds are easily recognized and if you call the police are easily dealt with. The key is to let those who handle these things know and not try to ignore it. No one wants to be known as a "complainer", but that is the only way to keep our lovely community lovely.

dewilson58 07-30-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1429979)
Almost all oif the trouble here (which isn't that much) is caused by the 55+ crowd. :)

Actually, MOST of the trouble is caused by the 95 and under crowd.

It's just terrible.

graciegirl 07-30-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1430077)
Actually, MOST of the trouble is caused by the 95 and under crowd.

It's just terrible.

It is embarrassing. Plus all that damn exercising. It get's on my nerves....and lots of them GO to CHURCH.

I think it is the smiling and holding hands that really makes me want to bite. What is THAT all about.chilout

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 07-30-2017 09:49 AM

We are a community of close to 150,000 residents. That's the size of many small cities up north. And like those cities, we have some crime. But the crime rate here is close to the lowest in the US. The Villages is one of the safest communities in the world.

As far as the under 55 group causing all the trouble, all one has to do is look at the online news and you'll see that people over the age of 55 cause as many problems as the younger folks.

I think that some of us may have the impression that all of the trouble here in The Villages is caused by those under 55 and renters is caused by the number of people that post something every time someone in these categories is caught breaking the law. Like I say. if you look, you'll find that there are just as many older people causing what very little trouble we have.

sail33or 07-30-2017 10:02 AM

Well, I guess I will be one to describe the situation.

Many of the "under" age people that are being arrested, etc. are the unemployed, totally dependent, etc. children of 55 and older residents. (Living with mommy and daddy.)(Or these older children are just living in their parents property.)

We do not have to get into percentages because you can use them anyway you want.

The Villages is great but just like everywhere there are rotten apples and rotten situations.

It is very easy to meet your street neighbors before buying to prevent living next door to problems.