Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   What is the Best Way to Clean Tile Floors (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/what-best-way-clean-tile-floors-24476/)

BJinTX 09-20-2009 08:13 AM

What is the Best Way to Clean Tile Floors

Hello, as we wait to move to TV. We have a home in Texas that has tile floor through out. Other than using a mop and bucket, is there a machine we could use to clean the flooring? I tried a steam mop with a pad on the bottom but it would nhave taken me all day to do the house. I'm looking for something heavy duty. Thanks, BJ

trichard 09-21-2009 07:38 AM

vinegar and water.

katezbox 09-21-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJinTX (Post 226039)
Hello, as we wait to move to TV. We have a home in Texas that has tile floor through out. Other than using a mop and bucket, is there a machine we could use to clean the flooring? I tried a steam mop with a pad on the bottom but it would nhave taken me all day to do the house. I'm looking for something heavy duty. Thanks, BJ

Hi BJ,

We bought a more heavy-duty steamer than the Shark that many use and love. The main reason was capacity. We have tile throughout the house. The brand we have is called Reliable - and it doesn't need to cool down before you add more water. It is a "canister" model. I bought it online - Allergy Buyers.com I think is the website.

It uses water - I think we use distilled. (I am guilty here becasue my hubs does the floors).

Lucky Kate

BJinTX 09-29-2009 06:27 AM

Thanks for the info. I will look up the Shark. We have been doing the floors with a mop but it takes so long and you start to hate the floors half way thru. We are trying SO HARD to get to the villages but I need health insurance. Thanks to everyone for their answers! Have a good week. BJ

Kellygirl 09-29-2009 07:16 AM

1 part vinegar 2 parts water. If there is a spot in the grout (my husband spills his coffee at least once per week) I spray it with Clorox Cleanup and use a tooth brush to scrub if needed, then wipe away.

KathieI 09-29-2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellygirl (Post 227311)
1 part vinegar 2 parts water. If there is a spot in the grout (my husband spills his coffee at least once per week) I spray it with Clorox Cleanup and use a tooth brush to scrub if needed, then wipe away.

Hey Kelly, are you for hire???? :)

Kellygirl 09-29-2009 09:58 AM

Not for hire yet...just a slave to my husband!

ssmith 09-29-2009 02:09 PM

Scuba

Has anyone tried a scooba...Not sure of spelling....? It is made by Roomba and is for hard surface floors. I love my roombas and wonder if the scooba was any good.

Bogie Shooter 09-29-2009 02:25 PM

Bought a Shark, used once and took back to WalMart and got my $80 back. They do not clean the grout!

gego3650 05-17-2011 10:45 AM

Shark

I have a Shark and I am missing a part. There customer service will **** you off and then you get a busy signal. Avoid the scams.

silvertoken 05-17-2011 01:25 PM

Knee pads + Bucket + Steel wool or croakers cloth + Ajax + hot water = Best heavy duty cleaning ever is someone to do it the old fashion way and able to get into the corners and edges ( razor scraper for paint or hard to get up spots). I myself use a whole roll of paper towels to clean up any residue. Afterwards any other cleaning method works fine until spring or fall clean up. " Oh dear, where is my pain medication?"

Skybo 05-17-2011 01:42 PM

I love my Shark steam mop. I used to have a Bissell hard floor cleaner and it worked very well, but it wasn't any easier/faster to use than the steam mop. I only have a small amount of tile. I think if I had a whole houseful of tile I’d probably stick with the mop/bucket method.

JoanNem 05-17-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJinTX (Post 226039)

Take the easy way out like I did. We had our carpeting steamed cleaned by a steam cleaning co. They did all the carpeting in the house. When they saw my tile floor in the kitchen, they asked me if I would be interested in them steam cleaning the tile floor. I said "steam clean a tile floor?" He said sure....i can show you how it will turn out. So he did a small corner. The floor was beautiful...It cleaned the grout and the tile. When he got done it looked as good as the day we had it put in. Just a suggestion. We had the floor done, once a year after that.

rubicon 05-17-2011 03:14 PM

What is the Best Way to clean tile floors

The guy who installed our tile told us that the best method for cleaning tile was vinegar/water combination. It works well in the shower to kill the mold/mildew. We also have a SHARK which we use weekly and a heavier machine for grout, etc. After reading memebers comments it seems hiring a contractor to steam clean once a year plus weekly cleanings seems the best and easiest way to maintain these floors. Yea I the one stuck with cleaning the floors because the little lady claims she can't work that complicated SHARK..a Huck Finnism if ever there was one....

Xavier 05-17-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoanNem (Post 354930)
Take the easy way out like I did. We had our carpeting steamed cleaned by a steam cleaning co. They did all the carpeting in the house. When they saw my tile floor in the kitchen, they asked me if I would be interested in them steam cleaning the tile floor. I said "steam clean a tile floor?" He said sure....i can show you how it will turn out. So he did a small corner. The floor was beautiful...It cleaned the grout and the tile. When he got done it looked as good as the day we had it put in. Just a suggestion. We had the floor done, once a year after that.

Just a suggestion, after the grout is cleaned to your liking, seal it with grout sealer and a small brush. It helps keep it clean. I'd do it every year or two. We had quite a bit of tile in a home we had built in 1988 and the grout looked just as good as it did when it was put in 13 years earlier.

The strap-on knee pads are a great idea. I bought a set at Harbor Freight in Ocala, also available just about anywhere, and when I use them I wear sweats so that they don't pinch my skin and pull out my leg hair.

Xavier