Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Golf and cigars (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/golf-cigars-244973/)

geofitz13 08-06-2017 08:40 PM

Golf and cigars

Generally speaking, is it usually acceptable to smoke a cigar while playing the exec courses? I always ask permission whenever I want to fire one up, and am very careful about proper handling and disposal (carry a holder on my bag). Not a huge deal, but I'm curious about the general acceptance/rejection of my dirty little habit.

dnobles 08-06-2017 08:50 PM

I don't mind people smoking what I do mind is when they throw the butts on the course.

Chi-Town 08-06-2017 09:43 PM

Cigars are more suitable for the championship courses. And walking would be advisable.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

kcrazorbackfan 08-06-2017 10:09 PM

People look like they're smoking a dog turd (that people raise so much hell about on here) when they have one fired up. I so glad I have a "go fast" cart so I don't have to follow them on the mmp's or diamond lanes.

DonH57 08-07-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1433075)
People look like they're smoking a dog turd (that people raise so much hell about on here) when they have one fired up. I so glad I have a "go fast" cart so I don't have to follow them on the mmp's or diamond lanes.

Same here.

Bay Kid 08-07-2017 06:57 AM

I used to smoke cigars when I played golf, but nobody wanted to play with me, so I quit. Much better now. Honestly most people don't want to smell any smoke.

Bogie Shooter 08-07-2017 07:00 AM

Yuk!

geofitz13 08-07-2017 07:05 AM

Well, I guess that answers the question. Guess I will stick to playing alone if I want to enjoy a cigar.

TommyT 08-07-2017 07:09 AM

Not to be Mean or Nasty !!!

But keep it at home!!!

I do not want to see it or smell it. I had a neighbor that would sit on his Lanai and smoke the nasty things. I could not sit on mine. People need to be considerate of others.

You asked and I responded my true feelings !!

karostay 08-07-2017 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geofitz13 (Post 1433052)
Generally speaking, is it usually acceptable to smoke a cigar while playing the exec courses? I always ask permission whenever I want to fire one up, and am very careful about proper handling and disposal (carry a holder on my bag). Not a huge deal, but I'm curious about the general acceptance/rejection of my dirty little habit.

Its kind of you to ask if your smelly habit would offend anyone in your group.
Perhaps you could go a little further and ask the people on the hole behind you and in front of you if they mind.
Since that foul smell carries for miles.Same goes for ciggarett smokers

graciegirl 08-07-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geofitz13 (Post 1433052)

Cigars smokers can expect any number of responses on the golf course. One might be throw up on your shoes.

geofitz13 08-07-2017 08:10 AM

Wow. I tried to ask, very respectfully, a simple question. Please reread the op. I always ask for permission. If anyone says no, then I don't. A simple "no, not acceptable" response would have been appropriate. Again, reread the op... one response indicated they take offense to those who leave butts on the course. I stated I was very careful about handling and disposal. Like I said, I was just curious. Instead, I basically got attacked.
I don't care that anyone dislikes my cigar habit, I will simply not do it around those who are offended. Simple courtesy. I would expect the same in return.
The warmth here is underwhelming.

geofitz13 08-07-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 1433126)
But keep it at home!!!

I do not want to see it or smell it. I had a neighbor that would sit on his Lanai and smoke the nasty things. I could not sit on mine. People need to be considerate of others.

You asked and I responded my true feelings !!

If your neighbor was sitting there chain smoking the things, you would have a point. But if he has one or two a day, on his lanai, then you should take your own advice. We all need to be considerate of others. Believe it or not, he has rights, too.
All things in moderation.

CWGUY 08-07-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geofitz13 (Post 1433171)
Wow. I tried to ask, very respectfully, a simple question. Please reread the op. I always ask for permission. If anyone says no, then I don't. A simple "no, not acceptable" response would have been appropriate. Again, reread the op... one response indicated they take offense to those who leave butts on the course. I stated I was very careful about handling and disposal. Like I said, I was just curious. Instead, I basically got attacked.
I don't care that anyone dislikes my cigar habit, I will simply not do it around those who are offended. Simple courtesy. I would expect the same in return.

:wave:Welcome to TOTV

Chi-Town 08-07-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geofitz13 (Post 1433171)

Looking for affirmation? You asked for opinions, and you got them. That's how it works.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk