Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Closing on a new home (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/closing-new-home-245544/)

LetsPlay2 08-20-2017 12:16 PM

Closing on a new home

We will soon be new Villagers! This forum has been very helpful already. My current question is: Is there anything that I should be aware of before I do my pre-closing walk through?

Count'n the days 08-20-2017 02:04 PM

If I recall the walk through with our builder was only a formality. He may have instructed us on a few things but not much that I can recall. Any problems that you may have is handled later through the warranty department. You will immediately have people knocking on your door for water systems, lawn services, etc. Or at least that was how it was for us. We were moving into an area that was still building out. At closing you'll have the opportunity to purchase title insurance. We purchased it but most people I know did not. Good luck.

jsw14 08-20-2017 03:12 PM

:welcome: Too "Paradise", er-um TV LetsPlay2 :MOJE_whot:

R U buy'in New or Used? We bought used with a Low bond. Take ur time & ask alot of questions. We R here to help....

Schaumburger 08-20-2017 03:22 PM

LetsPlay2,

Welcome to TOTV. Are you by any chance a Cubs fan? "Let's play two" was a famous quote from Ernie Banks.

baustgen 08-20-2017 03:53 PM

Walkthrough is not as important as having Frank DiAngelo inspect your home after 11 months prior to the warranty being up. He found 13 items for fixing. We never saw them. The major item was the microwave vent did not match.

graciegirl 08-20-2017 04:07 PM

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...vice+villagers

vintageogauge 08-20-2017 04:08 PM

We closed in early May. You will be instructed to call the various companies that put in the havc, irrigation, landscaping, etc, they will come out and go through everything with you, they are very helpful and friendly. We chose not to take the title insurance. Warranty department is also very helpful, a lot of things are only guaranteed for 30 days such as paint defects, scratches, counter top defects, etc. so look at everything good and call them with whatever you find, they will come right out and correct it. Welcome and good luck with everything.

jnieman 08-20-2017 04:14 PM

Welcome to the Villages. Don't buy anything from anyone knocking on your door and they will come. Always get a recommendation from TOTV or your neighbors first. Do not pay contractors up front for their work.

jsw14 08-20-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnieman (Post 1438043)
Welcome to the Villages. Don't buy anything from anyone knocking on your door and they will come. Always get a recommendation from TOTV or your neighbors first. Do not pay contractors up front for their work.

Now that's the best solid advise so far.... :)

dewilson58 08-20-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1438039)
We closed in early May. You will be instructed to call the various companies that put in the havc, irrigation, landscaping, etc, they will come out and go through everything with you, they are very helpful and friendly. We chose not to take the title insurance. Warranty department is also very helpful, a lot of things are only guaranteed for 30 days such as paint defects, scratches, counter top defects, etc. so look at everything good and call them with whatever you find, they will come right out and correct it. Welcome and good luck with everything.

Agree.............don't wait until the 11th month.

LetsPlay2 08-20-2017 04:40 PM

I'm sure it's a beautiful day in The Villages...let's play two! I used to run home from school to catch the last three innings of Cubs games. Ernie Banks, my all time favorite!

LetsPlay2 08-20-2017 04:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. What are the pros and cons for title insurance?

Packer Fan 08-20-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsPlay2 (Post 1437964)
We will soon be new Villagers! This forum has been very helpful already. My current question is: Is there anything that I should be aware of before I do my pre-closing walk through?

I agree with the advice given here, but don't wait 11 months. The only other thing I will add, is INSIST that the builder accompany you onto the roof and assure the shingles are sealed correctly. If not get them to fix it right away. The one thing that has happened several times in the villages is shingle problems. I found out about mine AFTER the 11 month inspection(I did not use Frank, and they obviously did not go on the roof). The villages got it fixed, but it was a long fight to get it done.

At least get a ladder and go check the shingles yourself, and go all over the roof.

Ed

John_W 08-20-2017 06:37 PM

If anyone calls and says Hi, I'm from the Villages Welcome Committee and I have a $25 Home Depot Gift Card I want to give you, don't believe them. There is no committee. Also, don't let anyone come and test your drinking water, don't believe them. We are all still alive and drinking the water everyday.

My neighbor who is a little naive and believes everything, within the first six months bought a $3100 water purifier system, $2000 lightning rods on a CYV, and 4 smoke detectors for $1800. Yes, your home has smoke detectors in every room, but there are people wanting to sell you newer and better models that cost over $400 apiece.

Schaumburger 08-20-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsPlay2 (Post 1438065)
I'm sure it's a beautiful day in The Villages...let's play two! I used to run home from school to catch the last three innings of Cubs games. Ernie Banks, my all time favorite!

LetsPlay2,

I went to my first Cubs game in 1968 or 1969 with my dad, so I did get a chance to see Ernie Banks play a few times before he retired. Best of luck to you in your move to The Villages. And may the Cubs repeat as World Series Champs in 2017 . . . Go Cubs Go!