Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/)
-   -   Course conditions? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/course-conditions-245908/)

ednetdl 08-31-2017 09:06 AM

Course conditions?

From my view from up north (New Jersey), it appears you have gotten plenty of rain this summer. Has the condition of the courses improved significantly since I left in the spring (after a very dry winter/spring). I'm hoping I will be pleasantly surprised when I return in October.

collie1228 08-31-2017 09:59 AM

Over the past two weeks I've played Palmer (Laurel only - rained out on the back), Lopez (Ashley to Torri), Cane Garden (Hibiscus to Allamanda), Glenview (Talley Ho to Stirrup), and Havana (Kilimanjaro to Kenya). All were in very nice condition with medium speed smooth greens, and the fairways are the best condition I've seen in my five years here. Unfortunately the rough has benefited from all of the rain and it is high enough to hide your ball in many places, especially on Palmer. Note that they are currently at the end of the semi-annual aerating of the greens, with Belle Glade scheduled today and Lopez tomorrow, but you said you are returning in October, so your timing should be pretty good. They all should be healed up in less than a month.

Challenger 08-31-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ednetdl (Post 1441906)
From my view from up north (New Jersey), it appears you have gotten plenty of rain this summer. Has the condition of the courses improved significantly since I left in the spring (after a very dry winter/spring). I'm hoping I will be pleasantly surprised when I return in October.

Yes- in most cases

Bogie Shooter 08-31-2017 11:40 AM

Its all in the eye of the beholder (player) you are going to get the good and bad opinions.
That's all they are opinions..........................

graciegirl 08-31-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1441957)
Its all in the eye of the beholder (player) you are going to get the good and bad opinions.

Right, but Bogie...when things are quiet? The grass is lookin' pretty good..........around here. But just wait. Dormant season is coming. Horrors.

fred53 08-31-2017 03:52 PM

No...not quite...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1441957)

there are good green conditions and bad green conditions. The same for fairways and tees. It has nothing to do with someones personal perception unless our course conditions are being compared to Augusta National type courses.

There are though, people whose expectations will never be met and their opinions have nothing to do with reality.

Bogie Shooter 08-31-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred53 (Post 1442085)
there are good green conditions and bad green conditions. The same for fairways and tees. It has nothing to do with someones personal perception unless our course conditions are being compared to Augusta National type courses.

There are though, people whose expectations will never be met and their opinions have nothing to do with reality.

Like I said...........

Bosoxfan 08-31-2017 09:24 PM

Love,love,love that there's an actual distinction between the fairways and the ruff. Best conditions I've seen in the 8 plus years we've been here.I can only tell you about Mallory, Tierra ,Havana, Evans Prairie & Glenview.They are all in great shape .

ednetdl 09-02-2017 07:01 AM

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds like they have improved greatly, really looking forward to getting back down there!