Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   RDOG (Responsible Dog Owners Group) (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/rdog-responsible-dog-owners-group-159/)
-   -   Please be considerate of others. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/rdog-responsible-dog-owners-group-159/please-considerate-others-24604/)

royr 09-28-2009 08:20 AM

Please be considerate of others.

To dog owners:
We know you love your dogs and you think they are special, even like children, but non-dog owners do not necessarily feel that way.
To be a truly responsible dog owner, you should obey the rules concerning where you take your dogs. Please do not bring them inside the town squares, or in stores where they are not welcome, i.e. Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.
Many people are frightened of dogs, or are startled when they are unexpectedly approached by animals. It is your responsibility to keep your dogs away from crowded public areas.
Thank you.

katezbox 09-28-2009 08:45 AM

royr,

I am a pet owner and I completely agree with you on not bringing pets to places where they are not allowed. Lack of responsibility on the part of pet owners (i.e. letting them defecate/urinate on the property of others, not keeing them under cntrol on a leash, etc.) seems to me to be the single thing that turns people away from appreciating animals.

My mother was bitten by a dog as a young child and never got over her fear.

But, where is it documented that pets may not be brought to the squares?

royr 09-28-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katezbox (Post 227137)
royr,

I am a pet owner and I completely agree with you on not bringing pets to places where they are not allowed. Lack of responsibility on the part of pet owners (i.e. letting them defecate/urinate on the property of others, not keeing them under cntrol on a leash, etc.) seems to me to be the single thing that turns people away from appreciating animals.

My mother was bitten by a dog as a young child and never got over her fear.

But, where is it documented that pets may not be brought to the squares?

I have seen signs posted at the edge of the squares concerning this, as are the signs about smoking in the squares. I don't know where it is documented, but I will look for it.

katezbox 09-28-2009 09:34 AM

Hi Roy,

Thank you.

We do sometimes take our doggy, but always stay near the back or in our cart - and never on nights we know will be crowded (i.e when R&R are playing!).

I will look for the signs; there is so much to see on the squares that i probably walked right by them...

Talk Host 09-28-2009 09:47 AM

Here we go!

KathieI 09-28-2009 09:47 AM

I think we've had previous discussions on this matter a while back, because I can remember talking about an incident where I tripped over a long leash in the center of the square as someone was walking past me with their dog and I really gave them hell for being so rude and inconsiderate. I think it says that dogs must only be in the outside perimeter but I'm not sure its in writing. If anyone has time they can do a search on this. I'm cleaning my house at the moment, sorry!

Bogie Shooter 09-28-2009 09:57 AM

Do you think a sign would make any difference??

KathieI 09-28-2009 10:03 AM

Without spending too much time, thanks to our wonderful search engine on TOTV, I found this link.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ht=Pets+Square

graciegirl 09-28-2009 10:07 AM

I think they should have one square for dogs and one not. I am not a dog owner but that doesn't mean I don't love them and I really like to see the well behaved cuties at the square.

I have been blessed to never have been harmed by a dog and I appreciate the fact that a poster said that they were frightened of dogs. I think that fear is the main reason some people do not like dogs and I feel sad about that. I truly feel happy each time I see a furry little person.

When nature removes our ability to have children, many of us still have the need to protect and nurture and enjoy small beings. I think that is very evident in TV and that is one of the reasons that I love it.

I think people care for their dogs and expect them to behave in much the same way they parented. Some have rules and some don't.

royr 09-28-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 227157)
I think they should have one square for dogs and one not. I am not a dog owner but that doesn't mean I don't love them and I really like to see the well behaved cuties at the square.

I have been blessed to never have been harmed by a dog and I appreciate the fact that a poster said that they were frightened of dogs. I think that fear is the main reason people some do not like dogs and I feel sad about that.

When nature removes our ability to have children, many of us still have the need to protect and nurture and enjoy small beings. I think that is very evident in TV and that is one of the reasons that I love it.

I think people care for their dogs and expect them to behave in much the same way they parented. Some have rules and some don't.

Do you also think there should be a square for smokers and one for non-smokers?

redwitch 09-28-2009 11:28 AM

As long as the smoking square had Rocky & the Rollers, works for me.

katezbox 09-28-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathieI (Post 227156)
Without spending too much time, thanks to our wonderful search engine on TOTV, I found this link.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ht=Pets+Square

I remember this earlier thread... but it still doesn't address the questions of where it is documented that pets are not allowed ont he squares... inquiring minds want to know the facts...

Taltarzac 09-28-2009 06:27 PM

The signs at the Rialto Town Square say Pedestrian traffic only. Smokefree park.

Quote:

Originally Posted by katezbox (Post 227185)
I remember this earlier thread... but it still doesn't address the questions of where it is documented that pets are not allowed ont he squares... inquiring minds want to know the facts...

I walked around the Rialto town square this afternoon ... twice... and saw no sign that prohibited walking people with pets. Just some that said or implied no golf carts, bikes, skateboards, nor any other type of vehicle. Just pedestrians.

They also said no smoking on the square.

katezbox 09-28-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac (Post 227234)
I walked around the Rialto town square this afternoon ... twice... and saw no sign that prohibited walking people with pets. Just some that said or implied no golf carts, bikes, skateboards, nor any other type of vehicle. Just pedestrians.

They also said no smoking on the square.

Thanks Tal. Fin does love the squares - but not as much as spending time with his buds at DDRR (for which we will be eternally grateful to you).

Barefoot 09-28-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr (Post 227124)
To dog owners:

To be a truly responsible dog owner, you should obey the rules concerning where you take your dogs. Please do not bring them inside the town squares.
Thank you.

Royr, please check your facts. There is no rule stating that dogs are not permitted in the Town Squares.