Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Golf cart windshield scratches (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/golf-cart-windshield-scratches-247217/)

fruitcup 09-29-2017 05:39 AM

Golf cart windshield scratches

I'm so upset. I used a cleaner that scratched my brand new golf cart windshield. I tried novus scratch repair lotion and it didn't work. Any recommendations for other products or a place to take the windshield to for repair to be buffed out? HELP :cryin2:

CowBubba 09-29-2017 05:55 AM

Plexus

retiredguy123 09-29-2017 06:05 AM

In my opinion, nothing is going to work. Your insurance may cover the damage, but you will need a new windshield to get rid of the scratches.

fruitcup 09-29-2017 06:06 AM

Thanks! I just looked this up. Will it remove existing scratches, or is it only to protect from new scratches?

fruitcup 09-29-2017 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1455029)
In my opinion, nothing is going to work. Your insurance may cover the damage, but you will need a new windshield to get rid of the scratches.

Oh no! I'm so sad.

retiredguy123 09-29-2017 06:30 AM

I'm sorry. But windshields, both plastic and glass, are highly polished surfaces for looking through. Once damaged, no product is going restore the factory polished finish. Just bite the bullet and buy a new windshield.

coffeebean 09-29-2017 06:52 AM

Just wondering....what product did you use that ruined your windshield?

jchase 09-29-2017 06:54 AM

Try some turtle wax

Rango 09-29-2017 08:10 AM

Hint=never use paper towels to clean a plastic windshield.

birdawg 09-29-2017 08:26 AM

Try pledge furniture polish

autumnspring 09-29-2017 09:02 AM

Suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitcup (Post 1455017)
I'm so upset. I used a cleaner that scratched my brand new golf cart windshield. I tried novus scratch repair lotion and it didn't work. Any recommendations for other products or a place to take the windshield to for repair to be buffed out? HELP :cryin2:

Most of the golf cart windshields are plexiglass more likely a chinese copy. It is far softer than glass and also far cheaper than safety glass. I'm not sure of the cost for the plexiglass windshields but I know they are made. If, you change to glass you will be able to add windshield wipers and being harder you will not get scratches.

As to tried novus and it didn't work. You do not say what you did. You want to use old clean bath towels not paper towels. All of the repair products are an abrasive to for lack of a better description to sand off the existing scratches. There should be at least two bottles in a kit.
One courser to remove the existing scratches and the other finer to polish it.

You might find it a good idea to buy some used or new cheap plastic frames and try out some products. .

fruitcup 09-29-2017 09:49 AM

I cleaned it with All Kleer after using goo gone to get rid of some residual sticker adhesive. That made the scratch marks, so I tried the novus light scratch remover. I used micro fiber towels for all of it. Do you think a glass shop might be able to repair it?

New Englander 09-29-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1455029)

I think you are right. Some of these products may help somewhat but the windshield will never be like it was.
Unfortunately only a new windshield will do that.

saratogaman 09-29-2017 10:11 AM

I use Novus "Fine Scratch Remover"

coffeebean 09-29-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitcup (Post 1455142)
I cleaned it with All Kleer after using goo gone to get rid of some residual sticker adhesive. That made the scratch marks, so I tried the novus light scratch remover. I used micro fiber towels for all of it. Do you think a glass shop might be able to repair it?

Was it the Goo Gone that did the damage or the All Kleer. I'm very interested because I've been looking at products to remove the fine scratches that are in my golf cart windshield. I have never used paper towels to clean the windshield......only a good quality squeegee or a microfiber cloth.

One of the salesmen at The Villages Golf Cars recommended McGuires PlastX. This is a product that is made to remove minor scratches in both rigid and flexible clear plastics. I haven't purchased it yet but I do know Walmart carries it.....

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...leaner-polish/