Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Thinking of planting a Lemon Tree (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/thinking-planting-lemon-tree-247560/)

cordenny 10-06-2017 02:03 PM

Thinking of planting a Lemon Tree

My husband would like to plant a lemon tree in place of a rose bush we had that died. I am afraid of getting mice. Does anyone have one? I would appreciate any advice you could give us.

raynan 10-06-2017 02:21 PM

You really have to keep on top of removing fallen and rotten fruit or it will attract critters. Also, make sure you have enough neighbors to help you with the supply you get otherwise enjoy!

ColdNoMore 10-06-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cordenny (Post 1458062)
My husband would like to plant a lemon tree in place of a rose bush we had that died. I am afraid of getting mice. Does anyone have one? I would appreciate any advice you could give us.

Forget worrying about mice, it is the hordes of lemonade loving big rats...that will be the problem. :D

Topspinmo 10-06-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

There's enough palms around to feed the rats, so IMO one lemon tree won't make difference. Go for it. It will take 5 or more years for it to really start producing. IMO if you can't eat something off the plant it's not worth planting especially those pricking hollies.

Retiring 10-06-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

I hate to be a naysayer but I will. My opinion, and it’s worth what you paid for it, is to not plant the lemon tree.

On a separate note my cousin just returned from a 4-month stay in Italy where he has a home with some acreage. He has olive trees planted. I asked if he saw any snakes, since I truly hate snakes. He said not this time. He had a company put out rat traps and as he said “no rats, no snakes.” Just this one persons opinion.

chuckinca 10-06-2017 05:34 PM

We have had a Meyer Lemon Tree for about 7 years and it is great. Some years we get lemons the size of grapefruits. We keep it at about 6' tall x 6' diameter. Not much fruit drops - even through Irma.

Meyer lemon - Wikipedia

Hancle704 10-06-2017 06:05 PM

Ditto on the Meyer Lemon. The small lemons you see in stores come from trees that are not native to this area.

jnieman 10-06-2017 09:35 PM

We have a "fruit cocktail" tree. It has seven types of citrus. We get plenty limes and lemons. A few grapefruit. Still waiting to get the rest. I think our dwarf tree is about 4 years old and we got fruit the 2nd year. You can buy these trees at the nurseries nearby. I have seen a few at either Lowe's or Home depot.

Opmoochler 10-07-2017 09:24 AM

We have a key lime tree that produced a handful of limes last year (first time) and a bucketful this year, enough for 4 large key lime pies! We found that slicing them in half and squeezing them with a garlic press was the easiest way to get the juice. We also have a young Persian lime (good for gin & tonics) that yielded 1 lime this year. Hopefully it will do better next time!

Schaumburger 10-07-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opmoochler (Post 1458404)
We have a key lime tree that produced a handful of limes last year (first time) and a bucketful this year, enough for 4 large key lime pies! We found that slicing them in half and squeezing them with a garlic press was the easiest way to get the juice. We also have a young Persian lime (good for gin & tonics) that yielded 1 lime this year. Hopefully it will do better next time!

Love key lime pie!

New Englander 10-07-2017 09:58 AM

Lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.....

starflyte1 10-07-2017 11:13 AM

My neighbor has a Meyer lemon tree and shares with us. Bakers love the lemons.

Henryk 10-07-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1458429)

Aw, nuts. I was hoping to say that.

Nucky 10-07-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Very good Trini Lopez!

Topspinmo 10-10-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Lemons are used for cooking, mixed drinks, cleaning, and IMO rarely peeled and eaten.