Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pickleball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/)
-   -   The new wind screens (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/new-wind-screens-247981/)

Topspinmo 10-15-2017 04:18 PM

The new wind screens

I'm on the fence about how some of the new wind screens locations. Some are top down at some rec centers and some are in the middle.

If the courts are lined with bushes then the top down don't seem to be problem in windy conditions. But, if the courts are open (usually cross wind) allows the wind to blow the ball pretty bad at the bounce with more open space at the bottom, course if makes no difference when lobbing once the ball above the fence.

The rec centers that has the wind screens in the middle IMO works better regardless. IMO the screens dividing tennis courts from pickle ball courts that have high fence that screen should be at bottom to help prevent cross winds if there not going to full screen in the courts. I know this will make NO difference posting here, but IMO winds screens are there to slow down the wind on windy days.

Ok jump in with the negative, ] don't play on windy days ]this not Baseball or tennis where the balls are heavier and has nothing to do with golf. e:thumbup:

ankeny 10-24-2017 07:12 AM

The screens worked great before they were taken down for Irma, I don't know who decided to put the screens up but the recreation dept drop the ball. Even worst at Fishhawk where they replaced the screen they put up half screens (I guess to save money) which do absolutely no good. As high as are amenity fee is you would think the rec department could have put up the screen properly in less then two months.

under55 10-24-2017 08:15 AM

Since FEMA is paying for the screens the Corp of Engineers decided how they should be installed.

kansasr 10-24-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankeny (Post 1465802)
The screens worked great before they were taken down for Irma, I don't know who decided to put the screens up but the recreation dept drop the ball. Even worst at Fishhawk where they replaced the screen they put up half screens (I guess to save money) which do absolutely no good. As high as are amenity fee is you would think the rec department could have put up the screen properly in less then two months.

Actually Allamanda takes the cake - the back screen there was put up (and is still) UPSIDE DOWN !

Topspinmo 10-24-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by under55 (Post 1465836)
Since FEMA is paying for the screens the Corp of Engineers decided how they should be installed.

That's BS the majority if not all winds screen were cut loose, rolled up, and tied week or weeks before the storm so wasn't damaged by Irma. I Only seen few shade canopies were actually torn cause they were NOT removed. IMO If that's the case it's fraud FEMA shouldn't be paying for replacement of old or damaged screens from lack of maintenance ONLY for storm damage if proven?????

Topspinmo 10-24-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankeny (Post 1465802)

I agree, it probably was save money thinking nobody would notice? hardly ever see leaf on the golf course, but about every morning I have to sweep leaves off the courts so when I push off wide my foot don't slip on marbles on the court which is ok I expect that down the sport priority, but I expect courts to be held at high standards beings we card carrying residents pay fee for it.

Topspinmo 10-24-2017 10:02 PM

Another thing I never understood? Why tennis hard courts and pickleball courts are side by side when rec centers are close? Saddlebrook and laurel manor good example. Most high level Tennis players don't like the noise and movement behind or side of courts with no wind screen blocking. IMO one should be pickleball and the other tennis beings they are really close? That would make 12 pickleball courts at saddlebrook and possible 4 tennis courts laurel manor. I sure similar examples are throughout the villages were they are close.

Talking saddlebrook, why isn't there wind screen separating tennis from pickleball?? Which would benifit both?

Topspinmo 11-15-2017 12:59 PM

IMO somebody need fired for dereliction of duty for this wind screen fiasco, they've actually wasted money cause the 6 foot screen and rolled up 9 foot screens are not working. Even where there are still 9 foot screen they rolled them up wasting labor hours. Now the wind blows at knee level where the ball bounces and the rolled up nets blow out hampering court coverage. The resident/pickleball/tennis) who contributes there salary said they want wind screen like it has been for 20 plus years. NO the bushes don't stop the wind, it helps when there are wind screen, plus all the trash blows onto the courts through fence. This is BS and shouldn't stand. That crap about it help courts dry faster in BS, if it's shaded it's not going to dry faster till the sun hits it or it warms up changing the humidity. And no I don't like it. Nor am I moving any time soon so stick those comments where the sun don't shine.

kansasr 11-15-2017 04:22 PM

My favorite is the wind screen at the south end of the Allamanda courts that was re-installed upside down and hasn't been fixed yet.

villagerjack 11-15-2017 05:09 PM

Thread Adds some credibility to the notion that Tennis players a little self centered? I collapsed on the court a few years back and while waiting for the ambulance to arrive for my trip to the emergency room, I heard chatter about where they were going to get a replacement 4th player to finish out their time. I gave up the sport where your rating seems to be more important than your health.

villagerjack 11-15-2017 05:53 PM

Thank God, The Villages acts like a retirement community where all residents are given opportunities to play on an equal basis otherwise these self proclaimed “high level” whoppi di do Tennis players would be forming their “USTA Teams rating themselves and taking over all the Courts for their tournaments and practices. Inviting outsiders to play while locking out “ under qualified” resident players. Everyone else can take a back seat to the primadonnas. OP wants to FIRE some of the hard working staff for doing their job because SHE does not like the positions of some of the wind screens and instead tells you to “ stick it where the sun don’t shine” even before anyone made a comment. Quite revealing.

Topspinmo 11-15-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagerjack (Post 1475933)
Thread Adds some credibility to the notion that Tennis players a little self centered? I collapsed on the court a few years back and while waiting for the ambulance to arrive for my trip to the emergency room, I heard chatter about where they were going to get a replacement 4th player to finish out their time. I gave up the sport where your rating seems to be more important than your health.

Your rating?

Must of been them snobby NE country club players? This not about your tennis adventures. It's about standards. Now if they want to go cheap and reduce the quality of sports, then pass it around, don't need all those tee off green, one will do, don't need fences or lights on the softball diamonds, don't need scrub and blow off the shuffle board courts, the players can do it.

jswintberg 11-15-2017 06:42 PM

I heard the same thing that the 3/4, folded up at the bottom screens are part of a test related to keeping the courts dryer. Really??? How long is this test supposed to last? How are the test results measured? If this is a test, why not just conduct the test on tennis courts. Sounds like a crock. I don't see how the shorter windscreen installation has anything to do with saving money. There has to be a better reason why some courts have the full length screens as opposed to the folded up at the bottom screens. The wind comes whistling through the bottom of the folded up screens like a wind tunnel. This is just another court conundrum like the short fences without windscreens between the tennis courts and PB courts at Bradenton and Manatee, where, most always there is an unnecessary cross breeze from the tennis courts.

Topspinmo 11-15-2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswintberg (Post 1475967)
I heard the same thing that the 3/4, folded up at the bottom screens are part of a test related to keeping the courts dryer. Really??? How long is this test supposed to last? How are the test results measured? If this is a test, why not just conduct the test on tennis courts. Sounds like a crock. I don't see how the shorter windscreen installation has anything to do with saving money. There has to be a better reason why some courts have the full length screens as opposed to the folded up at the bottom screens. The wind comes whistling through the bottom of the folded up screens like a wind tunnel. This is just another court conundrum like the short fences without windscreens between the tennis courts and PB courts at Bradenton and Manatee, where, most always there is an unnecessary cross breeze from the tennis courts.

:bigbow::bigbow:

Finely somebody beside Kansasr gets it. I expect the same standards and they are not being ment. IMO the person that thought this up should be fired wasting money and time.. That usually problem when you have developers neptunium in place. If they want to save ammenties money stop planting flowers in roundabout every Three months creating worker and driving hazards and saving hundreds of thousands.

Marathon Man 11-16-2017 08:35 AM

Last year, as the screens were being re-installed after the big storm, I asked the installers why they were folding them up from the bottom. They told me they were instructed to do that to aid the drying of the courts. I went to the next Welcome Wednesday meeting where that info was confirmed. I have to say, the courts do dry faster. I see a lot of play on wet courts and it concerns me. Having said all this, I wish they would go back to full wind screens. Maybe with enough feedback they would be willing to make the change.