Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   Jonathan Livingstone Seagull....Revised (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/jonathan-livingstone-seagull-revised-248557/)

Rapscallion St Croix 10-26-2017 12:21 PM

Jonathan Livingstone Seagull....Revised

Has anyone read the new revised edition with a part 4 added?

graciegirl 10-26-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1466881)

Is this the one where he sexually exploited all of the women seagulls?

Sorry. There is so much talk about stuff like that the last few. Sigh.

I like JLS. Here this tells about part four;

Part Four: Why Now? — Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Boomer 10-26-2017 01:55 PM

Quote of Rapscallion's Post:

Where, in the nursery rhyme, does it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg, and why would the King's horses, creatures without opposable thumbs and no propensity for puzzle solving, try to put him together again?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, Rap, I am so embarrassed to find out I have not been keeping up with Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I will look into that immediately.

And while I am at it, I think I will suggest my book club read and discuss some Rod McKuen poetry. That would be so groovy.

Oh, and, btw, considering your interest in Humpty Dumpty, there is even more to think about....yes, indeed......a conspiracy theory......

HUMPTY DUMPTY WAS PUSHED! :22yikes:

CFrance 10-26-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1466915)

Where, in the nursery rhyme, does it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg, and why would the King's horses, creatures without opposable thumbs and no propensity for puzzle solving, try to put him together again?

Well, Rap, I am so embarrassed to find out I have not been keeping up with Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I will look into that immediately.

And while I am at it, I think I will suggest my book club read and discuss some Rod McKuen poetry. That would be so groovy.

Oh, and, btw, considering your interest in Humpty Dumpty, there is even more to think about....yes, indeed......a conspiracy theory......

I hope you can crack the Humpty Dumpty case wide open, Boomer.

graciegirl 10-27-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1466928)
I hope you can crack the Humpty Dumpty case wide open, Boomer.

I think this is the misuse of jargon.

AND it could be political.

Rapscallion St Croix 10-27-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1466915)

Compared to Humpty Dumpty, Rod McKuen's work is naive...without rhyme and rhythm. It also fails to evoke the deep thinking that Humpty Dumpty demands from the reader. Do you think Rod Mc could explain the poem, "Jabberwocky" with the skill and erudition that Humpty did in Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass"?

graciegirl 10-27-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1467176)
Compared to Humpty Dumpty, Rod McKuen's work is naive...without rhyme and rhythm. It also fails to evoke the deep thinking that Humpty Dumpty demands from the reader. Do you think Rod Mc could explain the poem, "Jabberwocky" with the skill and erudition that Humpty did in Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass"?

It's brillig.

CFrance 10-27-2017 09:48 AM

Humpty goes way back before Alice.

And I think the notion that it's political in today's definition of "political" is basted on questionable facts!

Rapscallion St Croix 10-27-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1467180)
It's brillig.

If nonce had not been introduced into our language, we would be without treasures such as:

Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong
Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop
Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip

or

Ob La Di, Ob La Da

or

Zip a Dee Do Dah

graciegirl 10-27-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1467181)
Humpty goes way back before Alice.

And I think the notion that it's political in today's definition of "political" is basted on questionable facts!

I was being funny.

Oh. So were you. Basted. Got it.

Rapscallion St Croix 10-27-2017 09:57 AM

I wonder why Humpty was sitting on a wall instead of a front poach.....I crack me up. Omelette, y'all take it from here.

CFrance 10-27-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1467186)
I was being funny.

Oh. So were you. Basted. Got it.

You got it! (I had to scramble around for that one)😀

Rapscallion St Croix 10-27-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1467180)
It's brillig.

The world would have been enriched if the poem had contained a word that rhymed with "orange".

CFrance 10-27-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix (Post 1467187)
I wonder why Humpty was sitting on a wall instead of a front poach.....I crack me up. Omelette, y'all take it from here.

Author's privilege... So he could have Humpty fall over easy.

Rapscallion St Croix 10-27-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1467192)
You got it! (I had to scramble around for that one)😀

https://rlv.zcache.com/thumbs_up_emo..._8byvr_324.jpg