Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Venting (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/venting-249211/)

jnieman 11-07-2017 12:40 PM

Venting

I donated money to the Red Cross for Hurricane Harvey victims. This was several weeks ago. About two weeks after I did this I started getting solicitations for any and all charities under the sun. My mailbox is full every day filled with address stickers and pens and the like trying to get me to donate to them. Since my donation I must have received almost 50 or more envelopes asking for money. This will be my last donation to the Red Cross. I had no idea they would stoop so low as to share or sell my information. This past summer I donated to a few Go Fund me accounts on line. Now Go Fund me won't leave me alone. All of this makes me feel less charitable or to only give locally from now on.

graciegirl 11-07-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnieman (Post 1471931)
I donated money to the Red Cross for Hurricane Harvey victims. This was several weeks ago. About two weeks after I did this I started getting solicitations for any and all charities under the sun. My mailbox is full every day filled with address stickers and pens and the like trying to get me to donate to them. Since my donation I must have received almost 50 or more envelopes asking for money. This will be my last donation to the Red Cross. I had no idea they would stoop so low as to share or sell my information. This past summer I donated to a few Go Fund me accounts on line. Now Go Fund me won't leave me alone. All of this makes me feel less charitable or to only give locally from now on.

You will find people on Facebook that you don't know asking for money on Go Fund Me. I am VERY skeptical about Go Fund Me.

starflyte1 11-07-2017 01:11 PM

I always give cash at Christmas to the Salvation Army. Many years ago, we gave by check and then solicitations from SA started.

Wiotte 11-07-2017 01:14 PM

Venting

My parents, both WWII veterans had a very low opinion of the Red Cross. I’m sure they do good, but many old time veterans my parents knew also had similar views. Something about doughnuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenswing 11-07-2017 01:25 PM

No good deed goes unpunished..

village dreamer 11-07-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiotte (Post 1471949)
My parents, both WWII veterans had a very low opinion of the Red Cross. I’m sure they do good, but many old time veterans my parents knew also had similar views. Something about doughnuts.

my father say the same, red cross made the usa troops pay a nickel for coffee and donuts all others free

manaboutown 11-07-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiotte (Post 1471949)

I was in the Maryland Army National Guard. An old master sergeant there had been in the ETO during world war two. He told me the Red Cross was selling donuts to the the soldiers there. He was still furious over this twenty years later! He positively hated the Red Cross!

jnieman 11-07-2017 02:33 PM

The reason I donated through Red Cross was that Walmart had it where if you did it through Walmart they doubled your donation. I'm sorry now I didn't just directly donate. So surprised Red Cross would charge troops for doughnuts. That is unbelievable.

Jdmiata 11-07-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starflyte1 (Post 1471948)
I always give cash at Christmas to the Salvation Army. Many years ago, we gave by check and then solicitations from SA started.

I contribute to the SA on a regular basis ( old clothes , small appliances , etc. ) . The only solicitation they make are periodic calls to inquire if we have anything to donate. Most times we do. I think it’s a great charity.

patfla06 11-07-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmiata (Post 1472076)
I contribute to the SA on a regular basis ( old clothes , small appliances , etc. ) . The only solicitation they make are periodic calls to inquire if we have anything to donate. Most times we do. I think it’s a great charity.

I do the same thing because I really like the Salvation Army.

When we were moving and downsizing they really loved us.
Makes you feel good donating to people who can use it.

Mrs. Robinson 11-07-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmiata (Post 1472076)

I agree.

In addition, the Salvation Army doesn't have those grandiose salaries like Goodwill has.

SA is a wonderful charity!

fw102807 11-07-2017 06:43 PM

I went to a Deliver the Difference event and was very impressed. They package food once a month at Coconut Cove rec center to be distributed to those needing help. The food we packaged that day was going to Puerto Rico but they also feed the people of Florida regularly.

Deliver The Difference – Feeding America, One Hometown at a Time

sandybill2 11-07-2017 07:53 PM

Have read too many detrimental comments about Red Cross. I donated to Deliver the Difference----think they do what I want a Charity to do--for areas devastated by hurricanes, etc. Also work to help those living in Ocala National Forest and area Schools' backpack program. check out their webpage.

TNLAKEPANDA 11-07-2017 08:30 PM

Red cross is not the best choice for donations... The % of money that gets to the people is relatively small.

villagetinker 11-07-2017 08:34 PM

In general I have found the same problem as the OP with almost any organization that I donated to. It appears that they either sell or share donor lists, and once you get on these it is years before you get off.