Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Exterminating (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/exterminating-249643/)

Kerry Azz 11-16-2017 08:48 AM

Exterminating

Yesterday I decided to go the do it yourself route, so for the cost of a lunch I exterminated my perimeter of our villa inside and outside. Cost about $16 I made my decision after asking fellow villagers their thoughts on making this a DIY project.
Looking around the villages I realized there was a pest control truck everywhere I looked and realized this was one very profitable industry and after doing the math I saved about $225.00. We didn’t have a pest problem so this was just preventative maintenance. FYI I used Ortho and the wand sprayer was battery operated which made the job easier than I thought.

MrGolf 11-16-2017 09:18 AM

Been doing that same thing myself every 3 weeks for the past 18 months and have never had a problem.

Toymeister 11-16-2017 09:36 AM

Good for you! Unfortunately, the DIY subforum has become the target by some who want to discuss non-DIY issues/perspectives. Success stories like yours should be celebrated!

Mrs. Robinson 11-16-2017 10:41 PM

Why not try spraying or setting out ant traps when you actually have a problem instead of spraying so often and harming the environment for no apparent reason???

Try that! You will be amazed out how often you really have an issue and need to spray.

Jima64 11-17-2017 04:32 PM

If you decide you want some professional quality sprays you can go online and order the concentrates from several suppliers. Glad you decided to do it yourself but I would let the annual termite check be done by the professional.

Mrs. Robinson 11-18-2017 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jima64 (Post 1477036)
If you decide you want some professional quality sprays you can go online and order the concentrates from several suppliers. Glad you decided to do it yourself but I would let the annual termite check be done by the professional.

Most of us will be long gone before we have a termite problem.
My house in south Florida was 25 years old.
I never had a pest contract and never had an inspection until the house was sold and the buyer had to have one for their mortgage.

I also never had a termite problem but always looked for evidence of them.

Crowebar007 03-05-2018 11:13 AM

Pet control

That the way to go, Im amazed at pepole in the villages who get sucked into these venders riding around in our area,I understand if someone doesnt want to do it , but we all move here from other regions and these vendors try to sell you on the fact that the is Florida and things are different. BULL most of us have been killing bugs for 50 years the guys at home depot has everything you need my first year here i was paying $400 for pest control now i dont spend $100 same result no pest...........