Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Thermostat setting (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/thermostat-setting-250395/)

retirlib 12-03-2017 07:04 PM

Thermostat setting

I have been told that I am to keep the thermostat set at 79 degrees in my upcoming 3 month rental. Is this reasonable? Personally, I think it is not.

JSR22 12-03-2017 07:06 PM

Setting

Quote:

Originally Posted by retirlib (Post 1484602)
I have been told that I am to keep the thermostat set at 79 degrees in my upcoming 3 month rental. Is this reasonable? Personally, I think it is not.

I keep my house at 74 24 by 7. 79 I would be sweating!

retiredguy123 12-03-2017 07:07 PM

No, it is not reasonable. I would call it unreasonable. Are you allowed to flush the toilets? If not, that would also be unreasonable.

villagetinker 12-03-2017 07:09 PM

We use 78 as the high setting, and find this comfortable with the fans on, since this is winter time, we use 70-72 as the low setting, with no fans.

kansasr 12-03-2017 07:37 PM

Who are you renting from? Ebeneezer Scrooge?

johnnyb 12-03-2017 07:45 PM

when i leave my home for weeks i set to 79
put it on 74 to 72 and all will be good
electric in winter is cheap here

Toymeister 12-03-2017 07:47 PM

My guests can set the temp whatever they want.

redwitch 12-03-2017 08:06 PM

Usually, it is left to the renter to set a comfortable temperature with the proviso that the tenant is responsible for any utility charge over a set amount. Most homeowners are pretty fair about the amount. One like yours probably wouldn’t be.

rustyp 12-03-2017 08:13 PM

If it really matters that much to the landlord - run in another direction. It won't be the only issue you will have.

Toymeister 12-03-2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1484652)
If it really matters that much to the landlord - run in another direction. It won't be the only issue you will have.

My guess, at this point, is it is prime season. I would offer fifty bucks a month (if reason failed and no options) for the extra juice. But I would be mighty irritated!

retiredguy123 12-03-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1484660)
My guess, at this point, is it is prime season. I would offer fifty bucks a month (if reason failed and no options) for the extra juice. But I would be mighty irritated!

I wouldn't offer anything. If you haven't locked in a rental agreement, I would find another place to rent. There are always rentals that come available. You have the landlord from hell.

Fraugoofy 12-03-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retirlib (Post 1484602)

This is beyond ridiculous. I have my renters set the temp at 78 when they vacate only (like leave to go home). Requiring someone to keep a temperature set at a setting that may not be comfortable is not a reasonable request. I sure hope you can run far far away from this rental!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Retiring 12-03-2017 10:30 PM

Wow, do you people like hot homes, 79, 78, 74. I had to hack my thermostat to get it down to 65. I keep it 67 during the day and 66 or 65 at night. Before the posts start that I’m harming the equipment, I’ve been doing it this way for 20 yrs and not one service call, ever. :-)

bagboy 12-04-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1484644)
Usually, it is left to the renter to set a comfortable temperature with the proviso that the tenant is responsible for any utility charge over a set amount. Most homeowners are pretty fair about the amount. One like yours probably wouldn’t be.

This post is right on the money. Any thought of an extra utility charge during a lease should be spelled out in the lease. If it's not in writing, then it doesn't exist.

ditka41 12-04-2017 10:22 AM

I know from experience that some potential renters can be a real "PIA" with tons of nit-picky questions and requests before signing the normal rental contract. If you are one of those, perhaps the owner wants you to find another place. Some renters seem to see the process as a challenge of wits for whatever reason. If that is not the case, then the owner is seemingly going overboard with the details and you might be happier with a different rental anyway. There are lots of homes to choose from and most are not that restrictive, (and lots of potential renters also). On one occasion, after dealing with too many frivolous questions, it finally came out that the potential renter did not believe that "visitors" should cost extra and they were simply trying to have two couples live there for the duration in order to split the cost. I was happy to not rent to them after knowing their firm motive. If they had been honest about it up front, we could have saved a lot of time-consuming correspondence with a simple price adjustment. There may be two sides to this post.