Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Bedroom and Noise (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/bedroom-noise-250437/)

roob1 12-04-2017 03:08 PM

Bedroom and Noise

It seems most homes in TV have the master bedroom right off of the living area. We are finding that sound travels through from the living area to the bedroom quite easily. If someone is up early or late it is very hard not to disturb person in other room.

Does anyone else notice this? Anyone found a solution?

fred53 12-04-2017 03:11 PM

As you get older various things seem to noticed that you may not have noticed when you were younger. If you are Implying that the houses here aren't as insulated as those up north then you are correct as there is no need. Run a fan.

jnieman 12-04-2017 03:26 PM

I have this issue also. One side of our house has a pocket door to close off that wing of bedrooms and this really helps. Not sure if you can add a pocket door after the fact or if this has to be done during initial construction. While I agree that we get more sensitive to noise as we get older I think the open concept of today's houses adds to the noise.

roob1 12-04-2017 03:31 PM

We have a pocket door at the entrance of the 2 front bedrooms. The problem is the main bedroom opens right into the living room with a double, hollow door.

jnieman 12-04-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roob1 (Post 1485104)
We have a pocket door at the entrance of the 2 front bedrooms. The problem is the main bedroom opens right into the living room with a double, hollow door.

That's a tough one if it opens directly into the bedroom. Maybe replace the door with a solid one but then there is always a gap under the door. If you aren't too keen on the fan idea I have an app on my phone called "sleep fan". It makes the sound of a fan without having to buy a fan. Good luck.

dewilson58 12-04-2017 04:07 PM

Make more noise in the bedroom than what you hear coming from outside the bedroom.

:MOJE_whot:

Nucky 12-04-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1485112)
Make more noise in the bedroom than what you hear coming from outside the bedroom.

:MOJE_whot:

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: Yeah from a recording from past years! I just knew someone was going to reply like you did. Good job.

JoMar 12-04-2017 04:14 PM

We have a set of headphones that we use if one of us goes to bed early and the other stays up to watch TV. Since there are only two of us that handles our only noise issue.

graciegirl 12-04-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roob1 (Post 1485096)
It seems most homes in TV have the master bedroom right off of the living area. We are finding that sound travels through from the living area to the bedroom quite easily. If someone is up early or late it is very hard not to disturb person in other room.

Another thing. The light comes in very early, especially if you have been awake trying to solve the problems of the world.:cry:

Debfrommaine 12-04-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roob1 (Post 1485096)

A couple of years ago we bought a Sony wireless headset......complete silence when one us wants to sleep and the other stay up. Wish I had purchased it years ago!

Jdmiata 12-04-2017 06:46 PM

Close the door ?

patfla06 12-04-2017 08:09 PM

I have to agree. Less of a problem with the 3 bedrooms on the
other side with the sliding door.

My Husband swears he cannot hear the t.v. but I hear it
and it bothers me.

Luckily he usually goes in before me.
And when he goes in the t.v. goes off and I read.

vintageogauge 12-04-2017 08:44 PM

I use a sound machine and have been using them for 30 years or more. They are sold at JC Penney and only makes one sound, the wind. It is relaxing as well as drowns out all noises except loud bangs and the garbage truck. My kids use them and some of my grandkids use them also. I would not know if we were burglarized while sleeping.

twoplanekid 12-04-2017 08:57 PM

Same issue with us! Our house in Ohio had the bedroom separated from the living/TV room and thus was quiet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1485120)
We have a set of headphones that we use if one of us goes to bed early and the other stays up to watch TV. Since there are only two of us that handles our only noise issue.

We use one as it does eliminate the TV sound but no help with other sounds

Mrs. Robinson 12-05-2017 12:53 AM

Years ago when we had a house built we knew there would be a problem with noise from the TV/entertainment center, that backed up to our bedroom wall.
We added insulation to that common wall and it worked, however, in TV you won't find any additional kind of noise barrier unless you paid extra for it pre-construction.

Even more annoying that that, if you are in a guest bedroom, you can hear the toilet flush from the master bath! Ugh.