Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Gratuities for Sanitation Folk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/gratuities-sanitation-folk-250523/)

Vic&Judy 12-06-2017 08:39 AM

Gratuities for Sanitation Folk

We’re now fulltimers in the Villages.

At holiday time, I’d like to recognize the terrific service we get from our trash pickup people.

I’d like to hear advice regarding your tipping thoughts & practices and whether you give to both the trash pickup and recycle folk; are they separate crews generally?

Thanks in advance!

redwitch 12-06-2017 09:53 AM

I don’t tip sanitation workers unless they’ve picked up something extra from me and then I lay in wait to catch them. They don’t make a great wage, but they do make a reasonable one. I don’t sanitation crew and recycle crew are the same guys, but who knows.

The ones I do tip are my newspaper carrier and the mail carriers, unless they are actual postal employees, which is only the case at a few of our mailbox stations. You can tell if they are subcontractors (lowest bid) or USPS employees by looking at the vehicle parked at your station. If a private vehicle, then a subcontractor. Their bids usually come in below minimum wage. Stinks but .....

Others that should get Christmas bonuses are your regular, non-owner hairdresser, cleaning people, others who provide a regular, personal service to you, a regular, favorite food server. I usually give a plate of goodies to the fire department and my gate attendant. All others are on their own.

Wiotte 12-06-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic&Judy (Post 1485847)

At holiday time, I’d like to recognize the terrific service we get from our trash pickup people.

I’d like to hear advice regarding your tipping thoughts & practices and whether you give to both the trash pickup and recycle folk; are they separate crews generally?

Thanks in advance!

What terrific service is it they do of what you speak ? They’re doing their job, what their supposed to do. It’s a binary job, either they do it or they don’t. No tip is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttown 12-06-2017 10:18 AM

They work hard in a thankless job. I do tip them and they are surprised and grateful.

dewilson58 12-06-2017 10:24 AM

I'm old school...........It's the Holiday Season.........

I tip the Sanitation & Mail people and I use to tip the paper delivery "kids".

Most of the time they also received baked items.

Retiring 12-06-2017 10:42 AM

I happen to have a cousin that is a sanitation worker in NYC. He works on a truck and picks up the trash door to door, what we used to call a garbage man.

Granted he does work an extra shift 2-3 times/mon. Last year he made $109k. I realize FL is not NY but how much less can a TV garbage man make?

I’m all for tipping when you have something extra large or heavy that needs to disappear. I’ve given them $20 from time to time when I need something like a television picked up and dropped in the truck. But holiday tipping of the garbage man is a phenomenon I had not heard about.

Chi-Town 12-06-2017 11:46 AM

Up north it was a one man operation. Drive the truck, get out, load the garbage, back in the truck. I made sure that he got a bottle of top shelf whiskey at Christmas and a box of fine chocolates at Easter.

The problem here is that I have no idea of who's who and what crew. I never see them as they are gone before I'm up and about.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

rubicon 12-06-2017 01:56 PM

Absolutely. these folks work hard and they are efficient and consistent.

retiredguy123 12-06-2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiotte (Post 1485895)
What terrific service is it they do of what you speak ? They’re doing their job, what their supposed to do. It’s a binary job, either they do it or they don’t. No tip is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. They have a job and it is their employer's responsibility to pay them a fair wage, not me.

Allegiance 12-06-2017 02:48 PM

Be generous with everyone, if you can.

Plowboy 12-06-2017 02:53 PM

They are so much better than other places we have lived and less expensive.

CWGUY 12-06-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic&Judy (Post 1485847)

Thanks in advance!

:read: Here's last years thread:https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...highlight=tips

Probably one for every year..... can't figure out why!!! Tip what you want or don't want. :confused:Why ask someone else?

Bogie Shooter 12-06-2017 03:51 PM

I agree.....why ask?

Bonnevie 12-06-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retiring (Post 1485923)
I happen to have a cousin that is a sanitation worker in NYC. He works on a truck and picks up the trash door to door, what we used to call a garbage man.

Granted he does work an extra shift 2-3 times/mon. Last year he made $109k. I realize FL is not NY but how much less can a TV garbage man make?

I’m all for tipping when you have something extra large or heavy that needs to disappear. I’ve given them $20 from time to time when I need something like a television picked up and dropped in the truck. But holiday tipping of the garbage man is a phenomenon I had not heard about.

I would suspect they belong to a union in NYC. Florida isn't like that and I doubt they make as much.

villagetinker 12-06-2017 04:59 PM

I have tried to tip trash and recycling people in the past, here is the problem, on 2 occasions the envelope I had attached to the trash ans recycling bags disappeared when the first truck went by, and the second truck got nothing.......As noted above, many times one or both of these pickups are before I am out the door, so if someone has as alternative, let me know.