Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Don't leave Fifi alone in your fenced back yard (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/dont-leave-fifi-alone-your-fenced-back-yard-251067/)

GoodLife 12-17-2017 09:56 AM

Don't leave Fifi alone in your fenced back yard

1 Attachment(s)
Photo taken in La Zamora Village, story at online news

Attachment 73155

John_W 12-17-2017 10:45 AM

Here's the story from the photo above - Village News

A Villager has reported that he shot a photograph Saturday of a Bobcat spotted in his backyard. Bruce Speck spotted the Bobcat as it was walking across the top of a fence in his backyard at 136 Costa Mesa Drive in the Village of La Zamora. “We saw a mother and two smaller Bobcats about a month ago, but this was the first time I was able to get a photograph of one,” he said.

Bobcats are about twice the size of a domestic cat, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. They are generally tan to yellowish brown with dark brown or black streaks. The under parts are usually white with black spots and the insides of the legs are marked with black bars. The bobcat’s ears are pointed with short, black tufts while the tail is short and gives the appearance of being “bobbed.” The young have mottled or spotted fur with more distinct facial marking than the adults.

Widely distributed throughout Florida in deep forest, swamps, and hammock land. Thick patches of saw palmetto and dense shrub thickets are important as den and resting sites. In rural areas, bobcats can range five or six square miles and generally cover their territory in a slow, careful fashion. In urban to suburban areas, the range of territory usually decreases to one or two miles.

rubicon 12-17-2017 10:55 AM

do they eat squirrels:D

GoodLife 12-17-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1491387)

Fierce hunters, bobcats can kill prey much bigger than themselves including small deer, but usually eat rabbits, birds, mice, squirrels, and other smaller game. The bobcat hunts by stealth, but delivers a deathblow with a leaping pounce that can cover 10 feet.

Sandtrap328 12-17-2017 11:37 AM

It's no big surprise that bobcats live in and around The Villages. There are foxes, coyotes, raccoons, and even black bears in the area. There are venomous snakes and fire ants, also.

Good idea to always be with your dog (on a leash) when they are outside.

Carl in Tampa 12-17-2017 12:29 PM

Lions and tigers and bears.........oh my.

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 (Post 1491431)
It's no big surprise that bobcats live in and around The Villages. There are foxes, coyotes, raccoons, and even black bears in the area. There are venomous snakes and fire ants, also.

Good idea to always be with your dog (on a leash) when they are outside.

.........and alligators.

HimandMe 12-17-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1491352)

Attachment 73155

You are right about leaving pets unattended. On the other hand, what a beautiful creature! We had large brown bobcats living beside our house before and they were no problem in the neighborhood. Our two cats were in the screened pool enclosure and they walked along the back of the yard often with never an issue. I think if we let them out though, they would have been fair game. Bobcats are all over Florida and in all our years, (here since the sixties), we haven’t heard of any issues, certainly not like coyotes who are not shy.

Mleeja 12-17-2017 04:54 PM

We live near the northern edge of the Morse horse farm. Many times in the evenings when I go out with the dog she is sniffing the air in that direction. I have not seen anything, but at times she will “take care of business” and hustle back into the house. Wouldn’t surprise me if some critter is near.

EPutnam1863 12-17-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 1491387)

They will eat you if they are hungry enough.

Gpsma 12-17-2017 06:19 PM

My killer cat would take a bobcat down in seconds...once she wakes up from her dailey naps

Chi-Town 12-17-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1491352)

Attachment 73155

Beautiful animal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...542e3cc65c.jpg

Bay Kid 12-18-2017 07:25 AM

I saw one a couple of years ago just in the woods on the walk between hole 7 & 8 at Heron golf course. They are very beautiful, quiet and fast.

Taltarzac725 12-29-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1491707)
Beautiful animal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...542e3cc65c.jpg

That is a really good picture but would not want to be the person taking it. :thumbup: