Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Palmetto bugs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/palmetto-bugs-251338/)

Vikingjunior 12-23-2017 04:08 PM

Palmetto bugs

What is the best way to get rid of these critters, one suggestion was boric acid but is it safe in the kitchen.

NotGolfer 12-23-2017 05:17 PM

We get one or so sporadically...heard they're also called roaches. We just spray on them....but probably the best thing would be to call "bug man" for a full house treatment. Boric acid probably is safe.....

thelegges 12-23-2017 06:57 PM

We use deans if I see one, deans comes right away

zmarkp 12-23-2017 07:20 PM

They sell Roach bait at many places. Follow directions, the roaches eat it go back to their harborage, die, other roaches eat them, and After a few cycles the problem is solved

redwitch 12-23-2017 07:25 PM

I vote for an exterminator like Dean’s or Massey’s. They use products safe for indoors and actually get rid of the critters, although it may take more than one treatment if a bad infestation. Home remedies rarely work completely.

mtdjed 12-23-2017 08:02 PM

I use a product called Suspend SC by Bayer.

Suspend SC Insecticide - Free Shipping

I spray along foundations outside the house, along door entrances, and along baseboards in the garage.

In the house, under appliances in kitchen, along baseboards, in closets and around areas where pipes inter cabinets.

Good for many insects, safe to use if you follow instructions. Have been using for about 10 years.

Only insects I have had problems with are called Pharoah Ants which seem to find different paths of entry. These are very tiny ants that you may often see outdoors following a trail. In the past I have seen a single ant in the bathroom sink. I have learned that these guys don't live alone. See one and there are more. It is best not to kill the invader, but rather feed him. There is a product called Terro Ant Killer that you can buy for a couple of Dollars. It is a liquid which you place a drop on cardboard in the path of travel. The invader will stop for a drink, return home to Mama and take his brothers out for a drink. They take it home to Mama and the family is out of business.

pauld315 12-23-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1494523)
I vote for an exterminator like Dean’s or Massey’s. They use products safe for indoors and actually get rid of the critters, although it may take more than one treatment if a bad infestation. Home remedies rarely work completely.

My son was an exterminator for a few years. I agree with you. You have to be licensed in order to get the good stuff for pest control.

MorTech 12-23-2017 10:50 PM

Use Temprid FX by Bayer

It is more expensive than Suspend SC but it works better and lasts longer...Use indoors and outdoors.
Temprid FX is a systemic insecticide as well.
A LOT less expensive than calling someone.

Bogie Shooter 12-24-2017 08:27 AM

After talking to my Massey guy, who told me they use Boric acid, I went to HD and bought some. Now use in between quarterly Massey visits.
Use it just as Massey does when they come out on a special trip.

redwitch 12-24-2017 08:51 AM

I’m all for DIY for preventative measures, but I still believe the best thing you can if you have an infestation is call an exterminator. They’ll come back as many times as you need at no additional charge and some bugs (fleas, German roaches) frequently need several doses to do the trick.

John_W 12-24-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingjunior (Post 1494450)
What is the best way to get rid of these critters, one suggestion was boric acid but is it safe in the kitchen.

Here's your Boric Acid, $2.97 at Walmart. It tells you to put it behind the stove and refrigerator, which is what I did. Don't see those bugs anymore. In garage behind the washer and dryer is good also.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/c48...0&odnBg=FFFFFF

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Enoz-Roac...3=2843&veh=sem

TimeForChange 12-24-2017 01:52 PM

Have been here for six years and never have I seen one. German cockroaches (fast as lighting and small) yes, a few. I spray my foundation with the stuff you buy at ACE or Lowes once every few months and have never seen a bug. Mice in the garage is more of an issue.

coffeebean 12-24-2017 02:47 PM

Bates Exterminating has been treating our homes for nearly 10 years. We were seasonal for 4 1/2 years in a Duval patio villa and would come back to our home after nine months away and would find no bugs at all. We were seasonal in our current home in Mallory for three years and would come back after nine months away. There would be one or two dead roaches my sister would find every once in a while when she came to check out the house every week while we were away. Now that we are full time in our current Mallory home, I have not seen one roach or any bug for that matter in the year and a half we are here. I honestly would not go without professional exterminating living in Florida.

784caroline 12-24-2017 02:59 PM

Something very easy to apply and very effective is Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer...you can buy it ($10-15) at WalMart, HOme Depot, Lowes, Rural King...anyplace and it comes pre-mixed and with a spray wand. We spray twice a year all the corners and side floor moulding areas in all the rooms to include the kitchen, bathrooms, and lanai areas..and this stuff works great.

Is is also effective for outside areas such as door entry ways, garages, windows or just around the outside of the perimeter of the house. OUtside you may need to treat the areas every 3 months due to the rain and other elements effecting the sprayed areas.

Scotts Ortho Home Defense 1.1 Gallon : Rural King

Mrs. Robinson 12-25-2017 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingjunior (Post 1494450)

I don't know why, but most Villagers seem to think if you see a bug you must have a service contract with a pest control company.

Nothing could be farther from the truth!

Boric acid works as do the roach traps you can buy pretty cheaply at Walmart. You have ants? Same thing. The traps work as does a product called Terro. If you have pets, just be careful where you place these items.

Please think twice about doing more damage to the environment with all the poisons these companies use. Most of the things these companies use remain indefinitely in your home and the grounds around your home. These poisons don't dissipate and just keep building up.

When you have a "real" problem, treat the problem at the time, but please don't keep treating a bug here or there as an ongoing issue, because the fact is, it isn't!