Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Traffic Disaster around Dunkirk Xmas Lights (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/traffic-disaster-around-dunkirk-xmas-lights-251376/)

784caroline 12-24-2017 12:42 PM

Traffic Disaster around Dunkirk Xmas Lights

Last night around 630 i was trying to get to Colonly Plaza via Stillwater/Odell when I came to a complete stop on Odel Cir near Ambrosia. Traffic was at a standstill going no where and you could see it was cars trying to get into Dunkirk Trl to see the Xmas displays. Well I turned around and took back roads via Havana Trail to come out back on Odell but now past the turn off to Dunkirk. AGAIN traffic from the Morse Circle onto Odell at a total stop ......and then a Fire Engine with Lights flashing is trying to get through the gate to get on Odell...... he can barely get through the circle with so much traffic and has to come through the normal exit side of the gate...and then proceeds down the opposite lane on Odell...TOTALY UNACCEPTABLE but thats all this driver could do because of the traffic to reach his emergency call... When I finaly got into the circle on Morse (near Havana CC), Traffic both lanes was down Morse close to Colony not moving..what a disaster waiting to happen!!! ON my return I actually had to leave colonly, drive down 466A until I got to Canal and headed north on Canal just to avoid this MAJOR tie up.

If the neighbors around Dunkirk complain they are not being the Grinch of Xmas , believe me its much more than simply a few cars in and around Dunkirk...definitely a safety issue.

jnieman 12-24-2017 12:53 PM

I love Christmas too but it has become a real problem trying to get home or to go anywhere after 6 pm each evening. I live on Dunkirk at the other end. I heard about the fire truck being held up because of the traffic last night and this is worrysome should we need the rescue squad. I did notice the police were directing traffic onto Dunkirk last night. There is one advantage to this. It seems everyone in the Villages knows where my street is so when I tell them what street I live on they can find my house.

pooh 12-25-2017 08:00 AM

We returned home from the Orlando area last evening and were driving up Morse towards the gate at O’Dell. At 8:57 PM , traffic was stopped on Morse, through the gate and up O’Dell. Luckily we were able to squeeze through and continue up Morse. Drivers were considerate enough to leave an opening to allow driving to continue up Morse. Never have seen this type of congestion in all the years we lived here!

njbchbum 12-25-2017 10:06 AM

Perhaps next year the sheriff will consider making Dunkirk a one way street for a couple of weeks during the display!

NotGolfer 12-25-2017 10:52 AM

We heard the sirens last night as they made their way up Odell. Dunkirk is a problem re: traffic for sure. We encountered a bit of that a couple of weeks ago. They've tried to make the best of things by funneling cars/carts one way around the loop but getting in and out of Dunkirk is where the issue is. Maybe folks will need to park at Odell Rec Center and walk up to view the lights OR have it be mandated that only carts and not cars can go in and out of the street. Someone needs a solution as there are other reasons folks need to use Odell and not be bogged down by the traffic. I hope whatever the emergency was...that it was taken care of in a timely manner.

EdFNJ 12-25-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 1495021)
Perhaps next year the sheriff will consider making Dunkirk a one way street for a couple of weeks during the display!

It is one way from 6-9pm. Problem is O'Dell not Dunkirk. Carts only is an excellent idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jnieman 12-25-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 784caroline (Post 1494819)
Last night around 630 i was trying to get to Colonly Plaza via Stillwater/Odell when I came to a complete stop on Odel Cir near Ambrosia. Traffic was at a standstill going no where and you could see it was cars trying to get into Dunkirk Trl to see the Xmas displays. Well I turned around and took back roads via Havana Trail to come out back on Odell but now past the turn off to Dunkirk. AGAIN traffic from the Morse Circle onto Odell at a total stop ......and then a Fire Engine with Lights flashing is trying to get through the gate to get on Odell...... he can barely get through the circle with so much traffic and has to come through the normal exit side of the gate...and then proceeds down the opposite lane on Odell...TOTALY UNACCEPTABLE but thats all this driver could do because of the traffic to reach his emergency call... When I finaly got into the circle on Morse (near Havana CC), Traffic both lanes was down Morse close to Colony not moving..what a disaster waiting to happen!!! ON my return I actually had to leave colonly, drive down 466A until I got to Canal and headed north on Canal just to avoid this MAJOR tie up.

If the neighbors around Dunkirk complain they are not being the Grinch of Xmas , believe me its much more than simply a few cars in and around Dunkirk...definitely a safety issue.

/////////////

joldnol 12-25-2017 01:40 PM

Humbug!

Polar Bear 12-25-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1495071)
...Carts only is an excellent idea...

Dunkirk residents might not agree.

fw102807 12-25-2017 01:49 PM

It's so beautiful, I hope they find a solution.

manaboutown 12-25-2017 01:49 PM

Here is a video of a highly decorated home in a residential neighborhood which caused total misery for the neighbors. A friend of mine lived next door. The exhaust fumes were so bad his family suffered headaches. The traffic continued until after midnight for weeks. They could not get out of or into their driveway in the evenings the traffic was so bad. The owners last name was, ironically, Bugg - and they did manage to bug the neighbors. The Bugg House Christmas lights in 1995 Albuquerque NM - YouTube

mtdjed 12-25-2017 02:03 PM

The problem is not Odell or Dunkirk. The problem is the excessive displays on Dunkirk. It is nice to be able to decorate for Christmas but when it is in excess and to the point of becoming a community hazard, it is time to be RESPONSIBLE and cut back. I can recall getting cited for having one lawn decoration. I realize that holiday décor is allowed, but creating a neighborhood disturbance each night for a month goes well past my tolerance level.

joldnol 12-25-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdjed (Post 1495099)
The problem is not Odell or Dunkirk. The problem is the excessive displays on Dunkirk. It is nice to be able to decorate for Christmas but when it is in excess and to the point of becoming a community hazard, it is time to be RESPONSIBLE and cut back. I can recall getting cited for having one lawn decoration. I realize that holiday décor is allowed, but creating a neighborhood disturbance each night for a month goes well past my tolerance level.

Get off my lawn!!!! Bah Humbug

manaboutown 12-25-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdjed (Post 1495099)

Attractive nuisance?

Nucky 12-25-2017 04:45 PM

Solution....Golf Carts any night. Cars by license plate odd or even. Personalized plates are even. If the date is the 3rd odd cars, if its the 4th even cars. Its abusive to not do something before it gets shut down. Just to nice to let that happen. Just like the gas rationing days. Problem halved.