Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Tv wall mount (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/tv-wall-mount-254942/)

Topspinmo 02-04-2018 10:43 PM

Tv wall mount

Live in block and stucco CYV. thinking about mounting 42" flat screen on the bedroom wall.. questions is? It's outside Wall. Are their two by four studs in the wall or metal studs? And how hard is it to hit metal studs, I don't know it my stud finder detects metal? I've never seen behind the drywall on outside wall on block/stucco? Any thought?

John_W 02-05-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1512222)
Live in block and stucco CYV. thinking about mounting 42" flat screen on the bedroom wall.. questions is? It's outside Wall. Are their two by four studs in the wall or metal studs? And how hard is it to hit metal studs, I don't know it my stud finder detects metal? I've never seen behind the drywall on outside wall on block/stucco? Any thought?

This thread might provide some info https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...-studs-251114/

photo1902 02-05-2018 06:35 AM

In those situations you use Tapcon’s (or similar concrete screws) 3 3/4”. Drill through the drywall and eventually in to the block. The inside of block walls have small furring strips, so you cannot use them. I do this kind of work all the time, so feel free to private message me if you’d like more assistance or have questions.

retiredguy123 02-05-2018 08:04 AM

Have you considered just placing the tv on a piece of furniiture? I have never mounted a tv on the wall. Most wall mounted tvs I have seen are too high for comfortable viewing.

Topspinmo 02-05-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photo1902 (Post 1512241)
In those situations you use Tapcon’s (or similar concrete screws) 3 3/4”. Drill through the drywall and eventually in to the block. The inside of block walls have small furring strips, so you cannot use them. I do this kind of work all the time, so feel free to private message me if you’d like more assistance or have questions.

I was afraid of that, guess I'll just put the larger one on top of the dresser where the old one was. That's from reply'.

villagetinker 02-05-2018 03:47 PM

I have 70 inch flat screen hung off 3 metal studs on an outside wall, no problems. send me a PM if you want the details. PS this TV weighs around 70 pounds. Took 2 of us to lift it over the furniture and place it on the wall.

MrGolf 02-05-2018 04:17 PM

One creative guy Dave. Why am I not surprised you could tackle and achieve it. Not worried about condensation hanging on an outside wall?

villagetinker 02-05-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGolf (Post 1512484)
One creative guy Dave. Why am I not surprised you could tackle and achieve it. Not worried about condensation hanging on an outside wall?

Did I make a mistake, I thought the OP was mounting INSIDE on an outside wall. In any case, I have TV wall mounted both inside and outside the house, The outside TV in in the lanai under cover, no problems so far.

photo1902 02-05-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1512471)
I have 70 inch flat screen hung off 3 metal studs on an outside wall, no problems. send me a PM if you want the details. PS this TV weighs around 70 pounds. Took 2 of us to lift it over the furniture and place it on the wall.

How do you have metal studs on an outside wall? If you have a stucco home, exterior walls have rigid insulation and basically furring strips. Your home must be an anomaly here

photo1902 02-05-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1512320)
I was afraid of that, guess I'll just put the larger one on top of the dresser where the old one was. That's from reply'.

It’s not a big deal. But NEVER hang a TV on metal studs

villagetinker 02-05-2018 08:51 PM

I have construction photos of the house being built, and they showed metal studs, also, when I test drilled, I did not hit wood. You have a very interesting point, so I pulled the house plans, and the section for a 'typical' outside wall does state firing strips, however the construction photos show metal between the insulation, so I guess mine is different.

Paper1 02-05-2018 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1512222)

I just mounted a 43” on an interior wall. I discovered metal stubs. I used a tilting mount as the cantilevered design was not recommended. Found center of metal stud with small magnet that found drywall screws and then found exact center with 4pn finish nail. Used 4 snap toggles, 2 in stud and 2 in drywall only. Worked great. 1/4” snap toggle uses 1/2” metal bit.