Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Should I even be looking at The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/should-i-even-looking-villages-255202/)

ajm903 02-07-2018 03:15 PM

Should I even be looking at The Villages

Fifty four years in the cockpit of a helicopter, Southeast Asia - Gulf of Mexico - Persian Gulf and then 30 years EMS Pilot in Boston - then comes a little lump in the throat "Agent Orange Exposure" - the rest is history - treatments = no more cancer but married to oxygen 24/7 now and very limited in go get em activities - is the Villages right for me???

My Post 02-07-2018 03:31 PM

So you were in Nam and first Gulf war? Wow.

vintageogauge 02-07-2018 03:43 PM

Shuffleboard, billiards, bag toss, lots and lots of clubs quite possibly helicopter club, try renting for a month to see how you like it and what all you can do down here. Remember you can get just about anywhere in a golf car, no need to walk. Try to rent near a regional recreation center, more to do there than at the neighborhood centers.

ajm903 02-07-2018 03:49 PM

Yes Nam 66-67 / Korea 67-68 the Pueblo Incident / Nam 68-69 - the Persian Gulf was with Aramco 80-86 and ducking live fire back then also due to the Iran/Iraq war the first Gulf war was 5 years later. Figured that was enough and took a EMS flying job in Boston but that wasn't all peaches and cream either. Anyway hoping to get good feedback here to make a solid decision of relocation to The Villages.

Marathon Man 02-07-2018 03:49 PM

Only you can answer that question. But it is certainly worth considering.

dbussone 02-07-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajm903 (Post 1513108)
Fifty four years in the cockpit of a helicopter, Southeast Asia - Gulf of Mexico - Persian Gulf and then 30 years EMS Pilot in Boston - then comes a little lump in the throat "Agent Orange Exposure" - the rest is history - treatments = no more cancer but married to oxygen 24/7 now and very limited in go get em activities - is the Villages right for me???

There are so many things to do here. If you can’t find some things here, you likely won’t find them anywhere. And, as someone suggested, try renting for awhile to find out without going all in.

As an aside, our community probably has more veteran organizations than most places, and we have the largest American Legion membership in the world. Lots of retired comrades in arms here. Thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

John_W 02-07-2018 04:11 PM

With the O-bottle your activities may be limited physically, but you can always sit and listen to music while having a cold one. Everyday at 5pm you have 3 squares all with different music playing live unless it's Scooter the DJ. We also have 3 theaters that have 8 screens each and mostly Village resident are the users. There are hundreds of clubs for just about every interest, I belong to the Camaro Club. If you trade in your UTV there are a couple of active motorcycle clubs that do day trips, a 3 wheel Harley or 3 wheel Spyder would probably handle like your Polaris. The list is endless.

Here's a shop just outside TV in Wildwood, they always have a good selection of used bikes.

Lucky U Cycles

SouthOfTheBorder 02-07-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajm903 (Post 1513108)

Have you considered a Lifestyle Visit or renting for a period of time. Depending on the time of year the Lifestyle isit is a great bargain and a good way to get a feel for TV. It is limited to one week I think.
:thumbup:
Don

ajm903 02-07-2018 04:39 PM

dbussone - What a beautiful dog - I'm a "Paid Up for Life Member" with the American Legion, I'll try and help them empty a few on a hot summers afternoon, speaking of that the law golf cart driving and spirits - what are the guide lines on that.

ajm903 02-07-2018 04:41 PM

Yes I am just trying to get my strength back - then I'll get serious on that one - Thanks "South of the Border"

njbchbum 02-07-2018 04:43 PM

MERCY!!! Thank you for ALL of your service! Please don't hesitate to come on the Lifestyle Visit program at least! Agent Orange took my BIL before he could enjoy his retirement! I'd suggest visiting in the summer time to see how you like FL at that time of year...it ain't like going to the Weirs, the Presidential Range or even Lake Winnie! 24/7 oxygen is a fact of life for a couple of friends and they have no problems having found a resource to keep their home and portable tanks up to snuff. Your background would likely fit you right in with stuff like the golf cart drill team, any of the remote control clubs or you could start a drone club, lol.

ajm903 02-07-2018 04:49 PM

John W - Yes I'm going to look for a buyer for the Polaris if I decide to jump ship and say goodbye to the Northeast for good - and as far as the Harley, I have a TriGlide all ready to go.

Is year round living do-able on the most part?

ajm903 02-07-2018 05:01 PM

njbchbum - Sorry to hear of your BIL I have lost many close friends from that era of American involvement around the world - maybe we should bring the boys home that are still standing the front lines for all us here at home - your suggestions are welcome ideas

fw102807 02-07-2018 05:40 PM

My father needed oxygen and lived in NH. His biggest complaint until the day he died was his lack of mobility. Once he lost his ability to drive there was no where nearby that he could walk to so he was dependent on someone else to take him places. Here there are many things that are walking distance and also golf cart accessible. All of the rec centers are air conditioned as are the stores and restaurants. I think he would have loved it here but by the time we moved here he was too weak to make the move with us.

graciegirl 02-07-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajm903 (Post 1513157)
Yes I am just trying to get my strength back - then I'll get serious on that one - Thanks "South of the Border"

Thank you for your dedicated service that caused this awful sickness. You will find The Villages people truly honor our veterans. As others have said, there is much to do that doesn't require a lot of physical effort.

We would be honored to have you live here with us in lower Paradise.