Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Fumigation (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/fumigation-255731/)

refeik 02-13-2018 02:06 PM

Fumigation

Does anyone know the story of the total house fumigation in the Villages. The home is completely covered by a tarp. If I were a neighbor, I would definitely want to know what is going on ..

manaboutown 02-13-2018 02:13 PM

This is routine in California for termites. I have had my house in Newport Beach tented twice in 20 years.

Of course they may have needed to tent for another type of pest in TV where a house being tented appears to be newsworthy.

Bogie Shooter 02-13-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by refeik (Post 1514765)
Does anyone know the story of the total house fumigation in the Villages. The home is completely covered by a tarp. If I were a neighbor, I would definitely want to know what is going on ..

How do you know they are not aware of what is going on??

NoMoSno 02-13-2018 09:04 PM

Non-Subterranean Termites
Non-Subterranean Termites

graciegirl 02-13-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1514768)
This is routine in California for termites. I have had my house in Newport Beach tented twice in 20 years.

Of course they may have needed to tent for another type of pest in TV where a house being tented appears to be newsworthy.

They tent homes frequently on the HGTV show, Flip or Flop, which is shot in California. Never saw one tented here. OR in Ohio.

manaboutown 02-13-2018 09:53 PM

Termite Types - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

According to this Florida has recorded the presence of 21 termite species, six of which are invasive species.

As for Ohio...Termites in Ohio - Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Akron, Cleveland OH

Termites are around in much of the country. I once owned a home in Los Alamos, NM, built by a man from California who had insisted the framing be termite proofed wood. Turned out to be a good thing. The developer had buried scrap lumber under a house he built across the street. Termites were in many of the nearby homes, probably brought in with somebody’s firewood. They are in Idaho as well. Our Realtor up there insisted there were none there until I sent her a link showing there were and she had been selling homes there for fifteen years. No one wants to talk about them except maybe in California where it is no big deal and everyone just deals with it.

GoodLife 02-13-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by refeik (Post 1514765)

The tented home is most likely an owner who bought a home without a termite insurance bond, thought they could save some money, and got infested. There are not many other pest infestations that would require a full tenting and fumigation. If you buy a home here without a current termite bond, it will cost you $400 to $700 to get a full perimeter termite treatment, and then about $120 per year to maintain it. Money well spent and it is good for resale.

NoMoSno 02-13-2018 10:04 PM

Read your contract.
Most termite policies only cover subterranean termites.
They could also be treating for bed bugs.

GoodLife 02-13-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMoSno (Post 1514934)
Read your contract.

Yep have read it thanks. If I had a bed bug infestation I would probably tent the whole house too,

Nuke em...Its the only way to be sure!

manaboutown 02-13-2018 10:27 PM

Don’t know if the developers in TV treat the soil for subterranean termites or use termite proofed framing or if they need to but it is money well spent in areas where termites can be a problem. Best Pre Construction Termite Treatment Procedure and Price Info

njbchbum 02-13-2018 10:35 PM

Re the gas being used a[as noted in the other news source article]:
"It is commonly used in the United States as a pesticide to kill drywood termites and many other pests such as bed bugs and rodents."
http://www.ultimatetermitecontrol.co...uryl-fluoride/

graciegirl 02-13-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1514943)
Don’t know if the developers in TV treat the soil for subterranean termites or use termite proofed framing or if they need to but it is money well spent in areas where termites can be a problem. Best Pre Construction Termite Treatment Procedure and Price Info

They use termite proof framing. It is good for ten years.

tophcfa 02-13-2018 10:55 PM

Did anyone check to see if Walter White was hiding out under the tent cooking crystal meth?

Mrs. Robinson 02-14-2018 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1514912)
They tent homes frequently on the HGTV show, Flip or Flop, which is shot in California. Never saw one tented here. OR in Ohio.

Tenting a house or other structure in Florida is commonplace.
Tenting is done for termites.

Mrs. Robinson 02-14-2018 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMoSno (Post 1514934)
Read your contract.

No one will pay to tent a house for only bed bugs.