Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   House Numbers on Windows (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/house-numbers-windows-256203/)

tntrunner 02-19-2018 07:50 AM

House Numbers on Windows

Hi. We just bought a home in The Villages. I notice most of the houses have the house number in a front window. Ours does not - guessing it was removed by the previous owner. Anyone know where I can get these numbers? Thanks...

Amb3rTastic 02-19-2018 08:32 AM

You could probably find Vinyl lettering and numbers in the paint sections of Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. I don't know for sure if that's what residents use, but I know it should work.

cmb1951 02-19-2018 08:50 AM

They are used by the builder, sales agent to identify the home. Most people remove when your sign is put on your lamp post.

skip0358 02-19-2018 09:03 AM

They are there for a reason. It helps the Emergency Personnel find your home easier especially at night as they are reflective. I know I'm going to get blow back on this but that's why they're there. Having ridden on EMS they do help !

CFrance 02-19-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip0358 (Post 1516658)
They are there for a reason. It helps the Emergency Personnel find your home easier especially at night as they are reflective. I know I'm going to get blow back on this but that's why they're there. Having ridden on EMS they do help !

I agree with you. We left ours up for that very reason. Easier to see than what's on the lamp post signs, which can be ornate and every one's different.

TommyT 02-19-2018 09:13 AM

Do not remove the numbers !!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip0358 (Post 1516658)
They are there for a reason. It helps the Emergency Personnel find your home easier especially at night as they are reflective.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

Try the ACE Hardware. I remember someone saying they stock the reflective numbers..

tntrunner 02-19-2018 09:17 AM

Thanks, just didn't know if there was some 'standard' numbers I should be using.

NYGUY 02-19-2018 09:43 AM

I was told by local firefighters that they do not look for the numbers the builder puts on the windows. They use GPS.

wdonze 02-19-2018 09:44 AM

I removed the numbers from our front window because my wife didn't like them there. Instead, I bought 3" or 4" screw-on numbers at Home Depot and put them on the trim above the garage door. It still serves the EMS need.

NavyNJ 02-19-2018 09:57 AM

Agree with NYGUY and wdonze, plus, they reminded me of military Base Housing and the various "Levittowns" I passed through in the Northesast and I wasn't thrilled by that look. Though I haven't done them yet, numbers on the garage are a very nice alternative if you absolutely need numbers other than the post sign.

graciegirl 02-19-2018 10:04 AM

Leave them up. When seconds count so does every method to locate you.

JoMar 02-19-2018 11:07 AM

Decorative numbers on the wall or clearly visable on a sign on your lamp post serves the same purpose. We took our numbers off the windows day 1, not only did we think they were ugly from the outside, they were annoying looking out from the inside.

Chatbrat 02-19-2018 11:13 AM

When I was a volunteer firefighter in NJ, we sold 911 wall switches--if there was an emergency , you could put the switch into the emergency position--then all the lights connected to that switch would blink--inTV your garage &entrance lights would blink--a lot better than trying to read a house #

coffeebean 02-19-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tntrunner (Post 1516617)
Hi. We just bought a home in The Villages. I notice most of the houses have the house number in a front window. Ours does not - guessing it was removed by the previous owner. Anyone know where I can get these numbers? Thanks...

Why in the world would you want to place tacky vinyl numbers that look awful, IMHO, in your front window? Those numbers really should be removed once the home is sold and the owner has their sign put on the lamp post. It really looks silly to me to see vinyl numbers in the front window AND a lovely post sign with the same numbers. Homes don't need both to display house numbers.

skip0358 02-19-2018 01:03 PM

Lamp Post is only good if the numbers are on them and if they're lit. To each their own mine will stay on. JMO