Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   DIY Taxes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/diy-taxes-256265/)

starflyte1 02-19-2018 03:47 PM

DIY Taxes

Has anyone used Turbo Tax or another business to do your taxes yourself? Have always used a CPA in the past, but taxes should be MUCH simpler this year.

bandsdavis 02-19-2018 03:52 PM

I have used Turbo Tax for over 10 years, including years in which I had to record stock option sales and a personal business. I have found it very easy to use, very accurate, and the help sources are very good.

petsetc 02-19-2018 04:58 PM

I have used turbotax for 10+ years also. Straight forward. The deluxe version does it all although TT makes it sound like you need premier if you have investments.

When I first became gainfully unemployed I did taxes for HR Block for about 8 years and can also recommend them, particularly if you look at their preparer profiles on-line and make an appointment accordingly.

Lastly, always remember that you're paying so if you don't feel comfortable with the preparer or service, gather up your stuff and walk.

JMHO

Fredman 02-19-2018 05:05 PM

Turbo tax is easy to use.

jnieman 02-19-2018 08:22 PM

Yes I use it and find it easy.

Ecuadog 02-19-2018 09:13 PM

TurboTax floats my boat.

uprivergirl 02-19-2018 09:41 PM

I have used Turbo Tax for years. It walks you thru each step. I just finished up my taxes today and this year they were a little more difficult because of a sale of a rental house in Ca. It gives you one state free. I got mine at Sam's with a $15.00 off. You can do 5 returns with one program.

Mleeja 02-19-2018 10:14 PM

I have used Turbo Tax for years. However, for the past 3 years I did use a professional due to having rental expenses carried forward, I was not comfortable doing the taxes myself. Those carry forwards are complete, and I am out of the rental business, so it is back to a Turbo Tax! The only income information I had to manually enter this year was my wife’s SSI information. The rest was downloaded from the financial institutions. I used Turbo Tax Deluxe.

tophcfa 02-19-2018 10:57 PM

Another vote for turbo tax, have been using it for more years than I can easily count. Walks you through everything. We still print out and snail mail in our returns, I will never trust putting all of our important information out for the scammers of the world to steal via e-file.

Regor 02-20-2018 07:07 AM

I use FreeTaxUSA. More forms and all are free. I get a 1099-MISC for $17. Turbo and H&R want me to buy the premium instead of the free version, just to handle that form.

valuemkt 02-20-2018 07:43 AM

Highly recommend .. The first couple of years you can ask it to guide you through all possible business and personal types of income, expenses and deductions .. You'll get a very good feel after that .. If you have a printer, you can print out the 1040 forms and compare it to your past couple of years from the CPA .. Will give you a better level of confidence .. File the taxes electronically via TT and get your refund placed into your bank account much quicker and without a bank trip .. Like others above I've used it for many years without issues

starflyte1 02-26-2018 02:59 PM

I did it!

Thanks for all of the helpful replies, I have just sent my e-taxes by Turbo Tax! Their program was really easy to use. I feel like I have really accomplished something myself, and saved $500 CPA fees:BigApplause:. Hope the IRS feels the same way. As I mentioned in my op, my taxes were very simple this year, whereas in the past they have been complicated and I really needed a CPA.